PDA

View Full Version : Amd64

UDawg
06-21-03, 08:16 PM
Will the AMD64 be usefull for gamers? Will it be worth the high price and btw does anyone know how much they will cost?

StealthHawk
06-21-03, 08:25 PM
The short answer is yes because Athlon64 will be faster than AthlonXP :p

netviper13
06-21-03, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by UDawg71
Will the AMD64 be usefull for gamers? Will it be worth the high price and btw does anyone know how much they will cost?

Athlon64 will run 32-bit games faster than AthlonXP, so it will be faster there. Plus more games (UT2k3 comes to mind) are being written with a 64-bit version as well, which will give the Athlon64 a huge performance boost over the AthlonXP.

Nobody knows exact prices, but the numbers floating around in the rumor mill indicate they should follow the same scale the AthlonXP processors do.

The Baron
06-21-03, 09:17 PM
Expect the first Athlon64s to be at least as expensive as the higher-end AMD chips (at least $300) at launch. But, as the XP line is phased out, it should drop significantly.`

b00bie
06-21-03, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Expect the first Athlon64s to be at least as expensive as the higher-end AMD chips (at least $300) at launch. But, as the XP line is phased out, it should drop significantly.`

Well this may take some time though. But not too long as the Prescott should make it's first appearance at the end of this year.

Besides, they keep postponing the launch date for the AMD64. I believe the launch date has been moved again from August to September now. The AMD64 is expected to beat all it's competitors at the time of the release, so I am patiently waiting to see this bad boy. :D

UDawg
06-21-03, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys. I mainly wanted to know if the pice wasn't so astranomically high that buying one would be useless.
If they are going to be around $300 then I am all over that! Then again the new mobos have to be good.

Dazz
06-22-03, 04:29 AM
Motherboards should be cheap due to no north bridge need for the memory controller :)

Deimos
06-22-03, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by b00bie
Besides, they keep postponing the launch date for the AMD64. I believe the launch date has been moved again from August to September now. It's been set for september for months now, so I'm not sure I agree on "keep postponing".

/Deimos

b00bie
06-22-03, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Deimos
It's been set for september for months now, so I'm not sure I agree on "keep postponing".

/Deimos

Well, there were rumors last year that that the Hammers were suppose to be introduced last year around late August I believe. The next rumor was suppose to be this August, but now AMD says September. I don't know if it's really "postponing" or rather bad rumors... :p
But September looks pretty trust worthy...:)

mariuz
06-22-03, 09:19 AM
Well, there were rumors last year that that the Hammers were suppose to be introduced last year around late August I believe. The next rumor was suppose to be this August, but now AMD says September. I don't know if it's really "postponing" or rather bad rumors... :p
But September looks pretty trust worthy...:)
They are not postponing , in august there will be samples of the axp64 and in september the big
event (with Amd +microsoft hugged together :)) .
It seems that dresden fab is working at full capacity and opterons are getting out fast
From http://www.amdzone.com source
Les let me know that Opteron 244 availability has dramatically improved with 9 vendors (http://amdzone.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=783373/search=opteron/ut=4219843d8a34beac) now offering them. This is up a good deal from the original three. The 244 is the 1.8GHz 2CPU class Opteron.

b00bie
06-22-03, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by mariuz
They are not postponing , in august there will be samples of the axp64 and in september the big
event (with Amd +microsoft hugged together :)) .
It seems that dresden fab is working at full capacity and opterons are getting out fast
From http://www.amdzone.com source

Well, there are already samples of the 64. :D
More samples in August??? :p

mariuz
06-22-03, 09:47 AM
Well, there are already samples of the 64. :D
More samples in August??? :p
Final samples :cool:

StealthHawk
06-22-03, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Deimos
It's been set for september for months now, so I'm not sure I agree on "keep postponing".

/Deimos

As b00bie said earlier, the launch has moved up to August from September.

b00bie
06-22-03, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
As b00bie said earlier, the launch has moved up to August from September.

Note: I think it's from August to September, no?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10099

StealthHawk
06-22-03, 11:25 PM
Note: I think it's from August to September, no?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10099

Should I believe Digitimes or the Inquirer?

b00bie
06-22-03, 11:34 PM
Should I believe Digitimes or the Inquirer?

Nope, Digitimes especially...:p, but I thought I read the same on AMD forums...
Just a source from there... heh

Is it not September?

StealthHawk
06-22-03, 11:45 PM
Nope, Digitimes especially...:p, but I thought I read the same on AMD forums...
Just a source from there... heh

Is it not September?

Digitimes said it was moving up to August...whether they are right or not is another question.

b00bie
06-22-03, 11:50 PM
Digitimes said it was moving up to August...whether they are right or not is another question.

Well, we'll find out soon enough...:)
Since I don't see another source that would confirm nor deny any of these dates...

SavagePaladin
06-23-03, 01:13 AM
UT2004 and Half-Life 2 will have client ports (and MS has said Windows for it will enhance things that weren't programmed for it)

Some have already denied the supposed move from Sept to August...I'll wait til September to bother deciding who was right :p

and man, I want an Athlon 64 :)

Geforce4ti4200
06-24-03, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by UDawg71
Thanks guys. I mainly wanted to know if the pice wasn't so astranomically high that buying one would be useless.
If they are going to be around $300 then I am all over that! Then again the new mobos have to be good.

wow you must be rich or something, $300 isnt something anyone should jump over without serious consideration, especially since a 64 bit os isnt out yet and neither are games. Stick with an xp2100 :)

mariuz
06-24-03, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
wow you must be rich or something, $300 isnt something anyone should jump over without serious consideration, especially since a 64 bit os isnt out yet and neither are games. Stick with an xp2100 :)
there are plenty of linuxes in the wild:
suse, gentoo, redhat , mandrake
and yes they are on 64 bits
And some games run on thouse :)