PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard problem maybe?

hokeyplyr48
08-13-09, 08:56 PM
I've got an Abit IP35-Pro motherboard and I've got 4 sticks of 2GB G Skill 800 memory.

Story:
I've had my CPU OC'd to 3.5 ghz since day one. I notice today that it's running at 2.4ghz and was like well thats obnoxious. So I go into the BIOS to OC it real quick (change the FSB and the voltage) and it blue screens. I go into the BIOS again to double check that I did it right. bsod. Up the DDR2 voltage to 1.95 (only supposed to be 1.8-1.9v) so we'll make it extra fail safe. I upped the vcore to 1.4050 when it used to run stable at 1.3750. bsod. So I'm getting pissed. I run memtest with all 4 sticks in and it freezes. So I put the sticks in one at a time and test them in the 1st and 3rd dim slot. they all pass. I put one pair in 1 and 3 and it crashes/reboots. Swap the pairs. crashes again.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on? Is my motherboard dying? I don't think it's the memory...

I also couldn't get the darn thing stable at anything above default clocks in windows. I put plenty of voltage into everything and it would still crash when it got to the desktop (if it even got that far. it crashed alot on the windows logo)

NarcissistZero
08-14-09, 07:04 AM
It runs fine on default settings?

hokeyplyr48
08-14-09, 10:11 AM
Yea it does prime95 fine on stock. But for some reason it just won't overclock anymore. Does this mean something is dying?

hokeyplyr48
08-14-09, 10:46 AM
Alright more testing revealed that at my usual clock that I've been running for over a year without problems (390x9) it blue screens with prime95 with a stop 0x00000124 error. But when I run it in safe mode it does great and works for hours.

What does this mean? Does that tell me it's software?

Revs
08-14-09, 11:23 AM
While OCing it's always a good idea to set the memory timings to 'Auto', so try that if you haven't already. You'll certainly need to run looser timings with 4 sticks. Other than that try resetting or updating the BIOS.

I can't imagine why you'd need 8Gb of RAM though :lol:

bob saget
08-14-09, 12:13 PM
While OCing it's always a good idea to set the memory timings to 'Auto', so try that if you haven't already. You'll certainly need to run looser timings with 4 sticks. Other than that try resetting or updating the BIOS.

I can't imagine why you'd need 8Gb of RAM though :lol:

doesnt that place extra strain on the motherboard? to have all the slots filled?

nekrosoft13
08-14-09, 12:29 PM
doesnt that place extra strain on the motherboard? to have all the slots filled?

more precisely it puts more strain on memory controller.

depends what kind of system you have, memory controller could be either on the motherboard or in the CPU.

old AMD Athlons X2 939 sockets had really bad memory controllers.

a12ctic
08-14-09, 01:07 PM
old AMD Athlons X2 939 sockets had really bad memory controllers.

But also the most cutting edge method of doing it. Intel is just now deploying a on-die memory controller, AMD has been doing is since ~2003. In almost every performance related segment, the on-die solution performs better, so actually AMD has been doing it the "better" way for a long time.

If I remember correctly, I think the problem with the X2 was faulty nforce 4 boards actually. You just couldn't buy a AMD board then, so none of them were as stable/flawless as the 7x0 series AMD has now or Intels boards.

nekrosoft13
08-14-09, 01:21 PM
problem was not just on nforce 4, it was most common on nforce 4 because pretty much everyone had one.

but it also was common on ati, sis and via boards.

and new ati/amd boards are no where near flawless, i own two of them

a12ctic
08-14-09, 01:49 PM
problem was not just on nforce 4, it was most common on nforce 4 because pretty much everyone had one.

but it also was common on ati, sis and via boards.

and new ati/amd boards are no where near flawless, i own two of them

I own two and have built at least five to eight 780/770/790 rigs for friends and family that have had absolutely zero issues. I'd say these are the most solid chipsets AMD has ever had accessible to their platform by far. The 3200 is a great IGP, the boards don't use a lot of energy, I really haven't had any issues with any of them. Maybe you've just been picking crap manufacturers with faulty bios's.

hokeyplyr48
08-14-09, 03:52 PM
always fighting for AMD....