PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, what can I do better?

sharky
06-22-03, 12:38 AM
ASUS a7n8x deluxe 2.0
corsair 3200 dual channel
ATI 9800 pro
barton 3000
volcano 7+
codegen 400w power supply

I am building a system, and I think is what I'll get. If you can see anything I can improve (for the same cost), I'd appreciate the input. Thank you all!!!

jAkUp
06-22-03, 12:57 AM
how many mb of memory??

sharky
06-22-03, 12:59 AM
512mb total. Would I get more performance from 1024MB? Besides web surfing and homework, GAMING is my primary reason for this computer.

saturnotaku
06-22-03, 09:35 AM
You won't necessarily see a tremendous benefit to going with 1 GB of RAM unless you're doing video editing/encoding, CAD work, etc.

But make sure with that RAM that you get the lowest latency you can afford. Corsair TwinX is probably the best suited to the job. Check out Newegg because they give the complete latency for the RAM they carry.

And this is just personal opinion, but I would ditch the A7N8X. But that's because I've never been a fan of Asus products. ;)

The Baron
06-22-03, 09:59 AM
Well, I've got a gig of ram (PC3200LL), but when I took the FSB to 183Mhz, I got a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Think I need to bump the vcore of the CPU. But then again, that's for another day....

NF7-S 2.0 is delicious. And I'd say ditch the Volcano 7+ and get a SLK900U. Scary to install, but man oh man, it's nice once it's in.

b00bie
06-22-03, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
NF7-S 2.0 is delicious. And I'd say ditch the Volcano 7+ and get a SLK900U. Scary to install, but man oh man, it's nice once it's in.

Did it fit? Don't tell me you had to bend some capacitors just to install that thing...:p

MUYA
06-22-03, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by sharky
ASUS a7n8x deluxe 2.0
corsair 3200 dual channel
ATI 9800 pro
barton 3000
volcano 7+
codegen 400w power supply

I am building a system, and I think is what I'll get. If you can see anything I can improve (for the same cost), I'd appreciate the input. Thank you all!!!
I'd say ditch the Asus mobo in favour of the Gigabyte 7NNXP, probably the most expensive nforce2 mobo in the market, read techseeker review of it here;
http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=57

If I had the money I would get this, and seems like u do because of the specs u put up, why not this mobo? I dunno if Asus has sounstorm thingymejiggy but I think this mobo has it as well. It has dual this and that all over it's PCB for features. It also beats Abit's NF-S v2 in several benches but it also overclocks well , techsekers got it to 240mhz fsb.

And i agree with The Baron, get yerself a decent copper HSF, like the one he reccomended the 1.16 pounds of copper block, SKL-900U or the 800 version. Volcano 7+ will probably cut any overclocking attempts short.....maybe..not sure but since u are spending a decent amount of cash....get yerself the best like? :P

MUYA

The Baron
06-22-03, 03:52 PM
No, no capacitors needed to be bent on the NF7-S 2.0. The problem was that the standoff next to the end of the CPU lever gets in the way of the CPU lever, so I had to take that off to seat the CPU. Then I freaked out because I couldn't find the spacers.

But then I found them, and then I put it on, screwed it in making sure I wouldn't crack the core, and then voila. 29C right now in a hot room.

b00bie
06-22-03, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
No, no capacitors needed to be bent on the NF7-S 2.0. The problem was that the standoff next to the end of the CPU lever gets in the way of the CPU lever, so I had to take that off to seat the CPU. Then I freaked out because I couldn't find the spacers.

But then I found them, and then I put it on, screwed it in making sure I wouldn't crack the core, and then voila. 29C right now in a hot room.

nice temp! :D
What temps do you get on idle and on load?

The Baron
06-23-03, 12:30 PM
Between 27 and 30C idle, usually about 28. Depends on how hot my room is at the moment.

32-34C load, once again depending on the heat of my room.