PDA

View Full Version : Start Menu Search

Pages : [1] 2

seeker
08-15-09, 09:41 AM
I just noticed that using this function on the Start menu, which says that it searches for both programs and files, doesn't. I tried to find a couple of Windows files that I knew the location of, and the search couldn't find them. I have the system set to show all files and folders (hidden and protected), so it appears that this search feature is not as comprehensive as it has been in past OSs. Is there another search function that I haven't found?

Lfctony
08-15-09, 10:33 AM
Start windows explorer, go to my computer and search using the upper right thingie...

ViN86
08-15-09, 12:05 PM
Also, I don't know if the Start Menu Search only searches indexed files or not.

I know that the Explorer search in the upper right will find non-indexed files, it just takes a little longer to do so. (not so long that it warrants indexing all your files imo).

sniggle
08-15-09, 12:41 PM
If you type "indexing" into that box and go into the Indexing Options you can add more locations. I'm not actually sure if this affects the start menu search but I would imagine it does.

Buio
08-15-09, 03:02 PM
As sniggle says, you has to set additional search location with the indexing options (also available in the control panel). Default is your user documents folder and start menu and possible mail.

seeker
08-15-09, 03:09 PM
If you type "indexing" into that box and go into the Indexing Options you can add more locations. I'm not actually sure if this affects the start menu search but I would imagine it does.
Yes, the location selected by default did not include the majority of the files on the W7 partition, so I added that, but it didn't appear to make the Start Menu Search any more effective than before. I'm wondering if that indexing option didn't include this, what it did include?

seeker
08-15-09, 03:12 PM
Start windows explorer, go to my computer and search using the upper right thingie...
I hope that I can find a better option than this, because I never use Windows Explorer, because I prefer another file manager that I have installed. If I have to break out W.E. everytime that I want to run a search, it would be very inconvenient.

seeker
08-16-09, 12:59 AM
After letting this rebuild the index, it now appears that the Start Menu Search is working properly.

ViN86
08-16-09, 10:21 AM
What kind of files are you searching for and where are they?

If they're in your Documents folder then it should have no problem finding them. If they're system files, then it won't show them because they don't want regular users finding those files and FUBAR'ing their systems.

After letting this rebuild the index, it now appears that the Start Menu Search is working properly.

*Looks at this post*

*Looks at my post from yesterday*

:|

seeker
08-16-09, 10:46 AM
What kind of files are you searching for and where are they?

If they're in your Documents folder then it should have no problem finding them. If they're system files, then it won't show them because they don't want regular users finding those files and FUBAR'ing their systems.

*Looks at this post*

*Looks at my post from yesterday*

:|
I'm not sure what you want me to look at in these posts, because it appears that the Start Menu Search is finding system files, now that I added the C: drive to the index and rebuilt it...although it did list some excludes. I'm not yet sure exactly what it did exclude, because each search that I have tried so far has found what I searched for.

For me, that someone else might "fubar" something is not an issue, because I'm the sole operator of this system.

seeker
08-16-09, 10:50 AM
Another Start Menu issue that I'm looking for a solution to, is to totally disable the recent programs menu. I already have it disabled in the sense that programs don't appear on it, but I want to eliminate that part of the Start Menu entirely. As is, when I select the Start Menu, the recent program menu still appears as a blank, requiring me to select the All Program menu to see anything. I would prefer it to automatically show the All Programs menu from the start.

Buio
08-16-09, 05:26 PM
Not possible with default UI afaik. If someone finds a way, I'd be happy too know it too.

Rakeesh
08-16-09, 08:22 PM
Indexing files is such a memory hog. I don't know why microsoft can't just make a file system whose MFT can be parsed on the fly. They have full control over the OS, it isn't as if they'll run into ISV problems.

If google can pull out 10 results of internet searches from magnetic storage (as opposed to volatile memory like the indexing service does) almost instantly, why can't your local operating system?

einstein_314
08-17-09, 03:15 PM
Another Start Menu issue that I'm looking for a solution to, is to totally disable the recent programs menu. I already have it disabled in the sense that programs don't appear on it, but I want to eliminate that part of the Start Menu entirely. As is, when I select the Start Menu, the recent program menu still appears as a blank, requiring me to select the All Program menu to see anything. I would prefer it to automatically show the All Programs menu from the start.
AFAIK, that's not possible. I disable the recently opened programs and then pin the few I frequently use to the start menu. I don't think there is anyway to get rid of that section completely. I rarely use the "All Programs" flyout anyways, since the search works so well. Just hit start button, and start typing the program you want. Way faster than navigating the menus.

ViN86
08-17-09, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure what you want me to look at in these posts, because it appears that the Start Menu Search is finding system files, now that I added the C: drive to the index and rebuilt it...although it did list some excludes. I'm not yet sure exactly what it did exclude, because each search that I have tried so far has found what I searched for.

For me, that someone else might "fubar" something is not an issue, because I'm the sole operator of this system.

I was just pointing out that I said to index the files before :lol:

crainger
08-17-09, 04:34 PM

May God have mercy on us all.

seeker
08-18-09, 02:31 AM
May God have mercy on us all.
If God were to intervene, it would need to be on behalf of my computer, more than for anyone else. However, God doesn't always protect us from ourselves. I have experienced times that God did handle a problem with an inanimate object for my sake, but that is not an everyday event.

crainger
08-18-09, 04:57 AM
It is for me. God owes me one or two.

seeker
08-18-09, 05:03 AM
Despite the perception otherwise, it is we that owe God many things.

CaptNKILL
08-23-09, 03:06 PM
God owes me 35 cents due to a Pepsi machine eating my change on two different occasions.

seeker
08-23-09, 03:13 PM
God didn't make the Pepsi machine, nor did he put the 35 cents into it, but either those times were in the distant past, or you have a well priced machine. The machine in the complex where I live is 6o cents, and that is low on the average.

CaptNKILL
08-23-09, 03:24 PM
God didn't make the Pepsi machine, nor did he put the 35 cents into it, but either those times were in the distant past, or you have a well priced machine. The machine in the complex where I live is 6o cents, and that is low on the average.

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here, but lets just say I did actually mean that the pepsi was only 35 cents. About how long ago would that have been?

swiff!

ViN86
08-23-09, 03:24 PM
So you don't deny that God owes him 35 cents, you just question whether or not the machine exists and if this was a recent event?

I see...

seeker
08-23-09, 03:47 PM
I'm just going to play devil's advocate here, but lets just say I did actually mean that the pepsi was only 35 cents. About how long ago would that have been?

swiff!
My memory isn't that good, so I can't put a date to it, but it seems that I remember some soda machines that cheap recently in some stores, like WalMart or Home Depot, but they definitely weren't Pepsi machines.

Bearclaw
08-23-09, 03:55 PM
Jewel Brand cola is 25c cents from there machines.