PDA

View Full Version : Gaming on a new 55" LCD 120hz. Gaming with 120hz smooth motion features !!!

Pages : [1] 2

turdhat
08-16-09, 10:23 AM
Guys I would have never thought it possible but it seems to be.

Let me start by saying that I am very sensitive to input lag. I can not perceive any lag using some of the advanced features of this set.

I have not measured it and figure if I cant feel it then fine. I played Dirt and Grid 1st at which I am very good and would notice input lag right off the bat. I also played SF4 at which lag would stand out like a sore wiener and can not detect lag so on with the "review".....

WIth that said the set is a 55" 120hz 1080p Vizio vf550M that I purchased at Wal-Mart for $1547.00 which I planned would be my main pc monitor.

I am sure that some have heard of these smooth motion features and might have seen the effect make movies look like the evening news due to the 24fps in movies being upped to 60. Since I first saw this effect I have wondered what the effect might do to games and at what cost ?

Firstly the game needs to be one that runs at least a solid 60fps anyway or the smooth motion doesnt work as it should however I need to do more testing because with 24fps blu-ray the same super smooth effect can be acheived. I feel that it made 30 fps look way smoother as well but the effect is best with a game that runs 60 a large portion of the time at least at this stage in my testing.

Grid maxed out settings at 1920x1080 with smooth motion on low was so smooth that it gave me an insane sense of motion. I have NEVER had my brain tricked like this before. The feeling can not be described it has to be felt. They say the eye can only see so many FPS. Fug that because I know how smooth 60fps is and this WAY smoother. What it does for blu-ray is nice but what it can do for some games is incredible.

Wipeout HD on ps3 is the same deal. At times I felt the mild sensation that I was falling during some of the big drops. Turning off the smooth motion still results in 60 fps however the immersion factor is minimized.

The pc is connected direct to the set via hdmi, was recognized by windows and works pefectly at 1920x1080 with no overscan.

Most people are aware that when you run flat panel displays out of their native resolution that it looks blurry and often has annoying artifacts. Not with this set. Even on a 55"lcd from 6.5 ft away( I use my pc from the couch) the text can be very small. My eyes can deal but my wives cannot. To my shock they engineered a lower res pc mode that fills the screen perfectly.

Switching to 1360x768 (with some mild tweaks on the set) results in a sharp near artifact free picture to my amazement with no blur. I guess this set just has one killer video scaling chip. I have always hated monitor scaling of any kind but this set does it so well that I have no complaints.

The viewing angles could be a bit better however my man cave is setup in such a way that this isnt an issue.

The only issue I have with the whole deal is that the tv stand I have now didnt seem like it was sturdy enough so I had to make a temp stand out of a few pieces of wood, some milk crates and a large black cloth to hide the whole thing.. Hehe..

I have heard of a few failures but that is why you ALWAYS buy protection plans for sets like this. I would say it isnt a problem though as I researched this set on the top avforums to the point my wife called me obsessed and found only a few contrast snobs with too much cash to blow complaining about stuff I am not seeing.

Most sets with smooth motion features introduce input lag but not this one and believe me when I say I would know. IF you are looking for a great gaming set/large pc monitor this is the best you can get for the price. I compared it to the Sony and Samsung models sitting nearby with high scrutiny and saw nothing that justified their higher prices for a smaller screen.

Colors pop out however if you are viewing in a really dark room you will see that the blacks could be better. Dont get me wrong as they are very good but plasma and CRT will always beat rear lit displays. Hell, most of us probably are using desktop flat panels with worse black levels than this set and dont care anyway.

The LED lit version of this set is due on 9.9.09 but it will be more expensive. It has localized dimming and claims a 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio. I may swap as I have 3 months to take it back.

FocusedThirdEye
10-05-09, 08:48 PM
Hey man...I just got an hdtv and I have a couple of questions.

Just got the 42" SV420M 120 Hz. Trying to use it on my computer.... Am I supposed to be able to use it at 120 Hz in Windows? I am using xp right now....it maxes out at 60 Hz and this is very saddening.

Anyone know anything or have any advice?

Bman212121
10-05-09, 09:01 PM
Definitely helps to know what hardware you're using, IE Graphics card, type of connection, driver version.

You might need to create a custom resolution to get it to work, or their might even be drivers for your tv.

Bearclaw
10-05-09, 10:46 PM
Definitely helps to know what hardware you're using, IE Graphics card, type of connection, driver version.

You might need to create a custom resolution to get it to work, or their might even be drivers for your tv.

Bman212121
10-05-09, 11:46 PM
:|

FocusedThirdEye
10-05-09, 11:59 PM
I am using 9800 GTX at the moment. ati 5870 soon.

hdmi cable -> dvi adapter at the moment

Vizio SV420M "120 Hz" 42" LCD 1080p HDTV

Windows XP - 190.31 Nvidia drivers

The monitor just shows up as "Plug n play" @ 60 Hz max..

Vizio has no monitor drivers.

CaptNKILL
10-06-09, 02:50 PM
120Hz TVs just interpolate frames from a 60Hz source.

The TV refreshes at 120Hz but its only getting 60 unique frames per second from the source. This is probably why you aren't getting any noticeable lag turdhat, the smoothing effect is happening between the frames coming from your PC so it can do the smoothing with only half a frame of delay.

This is also the main difference between 120Hz TVs and 120Hz computer monitors. The monitors actually receive 120Hz from the source, meaning your games can run up to 120fps with vsync. This makes things more responsive but its only really necessary for 3D vision (which is why the monitors are generally low-res yet extremely expensive) where the refresh rate is split for each eye.

Maverick123w
10-06-09, 04:26 PM
I hate watching stuff at 120hz.... it looks so unnatural to me and really takes away from the experience. I know lots of people like it, but it makes things look plain silly to me.

bu1basaur
10-06-09, 04:58 PM
I hate watching stuff at 120hz.... it looks so unnatural to me and really takes away from the experience. I know lots of people like it, but it makes things look plain silly to me.

I thought I was the only one. Maxed out HD movies scare me it looks so unnatural.

Maverick123w
10-06-09, 07:36 PM
I thought I was the only one. Maxed out HD movies scare me it looks so unnatural.

I was beginning to think I was the only one too ;)

FocusedThirdEye
10-06-09, 09:59 PM
all reasons to refund this hdtv. but i admit i love it sometimes.

main reason is for my pc. games movies etc

would you use this one or use a different screen?

kaptkarl
10-06-09, 10:15 PM
You guys are nuts!!:D The ONLY way to watch HD IS blue-ray on 120Hz LCD or plasma TV. The difference is amazing......the way it should be viewed. Not un-natural at all IMHO. True to life in its crystal clear clarity. Are you kidding me??

(**hugs** my sony blue-ray and sansung 58" plasma tv)

Regular DVD's on a 60Hz TV....please....don't waste my time! Ha!

Oh yeah, playing Crysis Warhead on my 58" plasma......OMG!!

Kapt

FocusedThirdEye
10-06-09, 10:21 PM
i like the smooth motion effect when its not too fast...my sv420m slows down occassionally during it as well. looks stuttery then it speeds up. sometimes i really like it, though.

are there any other big, nice screens that have higher than 60 Hz refresh rate? This is basically false advertising as 120 Hz. Any around 75-120 Hz TRULY?

--upgrading from a 9800 gtx to a ati 5870 i hope this helps/fixes some issues--

Muppet
10-07-09, 02:52 AM
This is what we who have 3D vision have been waiting for. Real 120Hz imput full HD monitors. Can't wait to pick one up.

http://vr-zone.com/forums/443950/asus-showcased-120hz-full-hd-lcd-monitor.html

Muppet
10-07-09, 04:56 AM
You just got my hopes up until I saw it's only 24" :(

What size are you after?

Maverick123w
10-07-09, 10:22 AM
You just got my hopes up until I saw it's only 24" :(

Size queen :D

turdhat
10-07-09, 11:10 AM
Hey man...I just got an hdtv and I have a couple of questions.

Just got the 42" SV420M 120 Hz. Trying to use it on my computer.... Am I supposed to be able to use it at 120 Hz in Windows? I am using xp right now....it maxes out at 60 Hz and this is very saddening.

Anyone know anything or have any advice?

dougrochford@live.com

The 120hz feature is interpolation. The set will on accept 60hz input and thats it. The only thing you lose from this is 3d vision since you have to have a set that takes a true 120hz signal. The only ones I know of that are hdtv's and not monitors for a pc are the mitsubishi 3d ready dlp sets.

Good luck. I have to say that 60hz or HZ in general doesnt matter much anymore with these new displays. Unless you want 3d vision then you have to write a bigger check !

FocusedThirdEye
10-07-09, 12:47 PM
"60 Hz doesn't really matter"

Well, the thing is, when comparing my brand new vizio hdtv (sv420m) to my 3 year-old lcd monitor (viewsonic vx922):

LCD monitor pros:

better detail
faster response time
higher refresh rate

= Way less laggy, way better performance

Cons: color isn't as good. 19" vs 42"

Movies and games are still good on this screen. there is just more delay via response time and the refresh rate is 60 instead of 75 Hz which is obviously noticeable to me. Any more suggestions for monitors? You see, I am still considering returning this massive 42" to get all of my money back. Maybe I will sit on the money longer or buy a different screen. I have to test this vizio with the 5870 first though. :)

Muppet
10-07-09, 02:13 PM
46-50" LCD TV.

Wow, that would be so sweet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see some.

mullet
10-07-09, 02:32 PM
I haven't tried gaming on my samsung 61" LED DLP but I would imagine it's plenty fast.

Spyke
10-07-09, 03:46 PM
The new 3D capable sets that are due to come out on the market should be able to take a 120HZ source. There should be a number of them from Sony and Panasonic (and a few others)

Amaury
10-07-09, 04:54 PM
Samsung PN50B450B1D is a 50" plasma that works with 3dvision. Has the 3d sync out. I saw it on display at Best Buy and the colors were amazing. Destroys the DLP and better than some of the other LCDs. Plasmas still rule as far as color reproduction. The resolution is not great at 1365x768 rather than 1920x1080. I think it does 1920x1080 for 2d but I could be wrong. I'm gonna repurchase the 3d glasses and this set. Only $850 or lower if you bargain. Not a bad price for a plasma.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9239371&st=PN50B450B1D&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218065984669

Muppet
10-08-09, 03:06 AM
Samsung PN50B450B1D is a 50" plasma that works with 3dvision. Has the 3d sync out. I saw it on display at Best Buy and the colors were amazing. Destroys the DLP and better than some of the other LCDs. Plasmas still rule as far as color reproduction. The resolution is not great at 1365x768 rather than 1920x1080. I think it does 1920x1080 for 2d but I could be wrong. I'm gonna repurchase the 3d glasses and this set. Only $850 or lower if you bargain. Not a bad price for a plasma.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9239371&st=PN50B450B1D&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218065984669

That sounds pretty sweet. If you do get it, please post pics. :)

$n][pErMan
10-08-09, 08:27 PM
I tried gaming on my Samsung 58" 860B Plasma TV... it was awesome! :D Only stopped because I could not stand having no surround sound through HDMI unless I was lucky enough to have a dobly digial game :(

wysiwyg
10-12-09, 08:44 AM
EVGA GTX260 and a 58" plasma! really? at max details?