PDA

View Full Version : And it starts, here comes Win7 hate

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
08-22-09, 12:56 PM
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/7-reasons-to-avoid-windows-7/

npras42
08-22-09, 01:03 PM
Not really that much hate. They first made an article about all the good things in Win 7, then later released one which proposes the other side of the story. Kinda playing Devil's Advocate.

betterdan
08-22-09, 01:11 PM
Holy crap! You have to do a clean install from XP and Snow Leopard is almost here? WTF! I hate Windows 7! (pb)

mojoman0
08-22-09, 01:41 PM
I actually have a few beefs with W7 myself. After hearing how much of a must have upgrade from vista it is I decided to install on my laptop. These are my annoyances so far and maybe you guys can help me out.

1. Why can't I open a new instance of IE from the taskbar in one simple click??? Right clicking the taskbar and clicking IE is a PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

2. Hovering over the thumbnails in taskbar wastes my time. Yea the previews are cool but not as cool as saving microseconds every time I switch tasks.

3. Why did they get rid of sticky notes gadget and make it a standalone app which is wider than the typical gadget size?

4. Why does Windows Live Messenger have 2 open tasks whenever I have the client open? One of the tasks is a stupid picture of my icon with no purpose whatsoever. I like it better in the system tray.

5. Where is my default location to store pictures and videos and such? The start menu shortcut takes me straight to the libraries section in windows explorer. I happen to like storing all of my pictures in one place. Do I have to manually hunt down my pictures under the user directory every time I want to move pictures to this folder instead of clicking on the link in the start menu?

As a fan of Vista I haven't really found anything that would consider this a must have upgrade unless you are currently running XP. This may change as I install 7 on my desktop when my upgrade copy comes and may welcome the snappiness. (Using msdnaa W7 pro for laptop). I like the ease of joining a network but think the new white system tray icons are ugly. I hope the homegroup feature will be neat with a media pc and laptop so I'll have to wait and see how this ends up performing. After using it more I'm sure I will find a few more things I like but Vista has served me well.

hemmy
08-22-09, 02:28 PM
1. Middle click on the Icon. Maybe consider ditching IE ???

2. Then turn them off. You can customize it to behave more like XP or Vista

3. I don't know

4. See #3

5. The defaults are "My Pictures", "My Videos", etc. The libraries include those in them. Everything in My Pictures shows up in your "Pictures" library.

Don't know what white system tray icons you mean. The little wireless connection thing? Looks much better than in Vista IMO.

mailman2
08-22-09, 02:46 PM
Crappy article written by a mac-fag.

bacon12
08-22-09, 02:56 PM
I have several things I do not like as well.

The taskbar.. now most people will have 75 things running there instead of the 5-10 with xp and vista. At least you knew and had to hide them before. It wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

No backward compatibility with the new homegroup? Really? Was it that hard to make it work with Vista or patch Vista to work with it? This is something that could still come however.

I also agree the default tab behavior seems stupid and its annoying that I have to change it to actually see whats there without relying on thumbnail peeks.

Lastly thanks for by default adding another click to get to my home folder. But library sounds cooler!

nekrosoft13
08-22-09, 03:06 PM
#4 run messenger in Vista compability and it will stay in systray

Sazar
08-22-09, 04:03 PM
Crappy article written by a mac-fag.

+1

Who the **** gives a crap about Snow Leopard? Mac Users are already wanking furiously in anticipation and there will be a massive adoption rate, but, the article is comparing XP to Windows 7, a quantum leap in tech and features. Current OSX to new build of OSX? Not so much and yet, it's listed as a reason to wait :)

Got to love it.

But, he did have another article which spoke glowingly of Windows 7 as well sooooo... maybe he's just looking for hits.

Eliminator
08-22-09, 04:33 PM
these are some pretty lame points imo... the only thing i would say is if you have vista then unless you can get 7 for cheap or for free through your company/school don't bother upgrading

ViN86
08-22-09, 06:07 PM
Let's look at their arguments...

1. Upgrading From Windows XP Requires a Clean Install
Well yea, it's a brand new OS. It's not Windows 5.x, it's Windows 6.1. New OS, hence new kernel and components, hence, clean install cause your previous program's dependencies won't work. Even a 5 year old could understand that.
The Upgrade Is Expensive
Really? I got HP for $50 a month ago...
It’ll Cost You Time, Too
Took me less than 30 minutes to do a clean install of Windows 7 RC. Then I just run Steam overnight and voila, my PC is restored.
It’s Still Windows
That's the worst argument I have ever heard.
Security Isn’t Automatically Better
Well when you control 85%+ of the market, of course people will target your OS more. And security is much better.
Built-In Support for Egregious Hardware-Based DRM
This was an argument against Vista that I have yet to see any solid proof of.
Snow Leopard Is Almost Here
And now we see the author's true motives...

Greg
08-22-09, 07:31 PM
2. Then turn them off. You can customize it to behave more like XP or Vista
I've tried that. The order and behavior is just not like XP/Vista. To behave like old, quick launch icons would be collected in order to the left, then app instances would spread across. With Win7 they are mixed and move about. I ended up leaving the default behavior but am also frustrated with the amount of time spend locating newly opened windows etc.

Sazar
08-22-09, 08:06 PM
I've tried that. The order and behavior is just not like XP/Vista. To behave like old, quick launch icons would be collected in order to the left, then app instances would spread across. With Win7 they are mixed and move about. I ended up leaving the default behavior but am also frustrated with the amount of time spend locating newly opened windows etc.

Alt+tab doesn't work for you?

Alt + tab + mouse-wheel scroll == win.

mojoman0
08-22-09, 08:35 PM
Alt+tab doesn't work for you?

Alt + tab + mouse-wheel scroll == win.

2 hands plus scrolling plus decript picture = hassle
1 hand slide and click on name = ease

hemmy
08-22-09, 09:56 PM
I have several things I do not like as well.

The taskbar.. now most people will have 75 things running there instead of the 5-10 with xp and vista. At least you knew and had to hide them before. It wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

No backward compatibility with the new homegroup? Really? Was it that hard to make it work with Vista or patch Vista to work with it? This is something that could still come however.

I also agree the default tab behavior seems stupid and its annoying that I have to change it to actually see whats there without relying on thumbnail peeks.

Lastly thanks for by default adding another click to get to my home folder. But library sounds cooler!

You can change the taskbar to be almost identical to XP and Vista.

Also, I still don't understand what you guys are talking about with the tab behavior???

mojoman0
08-22-09, 10:38 PM
the stacked windows dont let you know what you have open without hovering over them. These things might be handy on a tiny computer like a netbook but a lot of people have big widescreen monitors these days and have plenty of taskbar real estate.

betterdan
08-22-09, 11:12 PM
Just right click on the taskbar and select never combine for the taskbar buttons. Viola! Problem solved for the stacked windows.

K007
08-22-09, 11:22 PM
those whines on that site are not really any reason to hate w7.

Snow Leopard Is Almost Here
Apple’s next-generation Snow Leopard is arriving September — a month before Windows 7. Apple is promising its OS will deliver on many of the improvements Microsoft highlights in Windows 7 — 64-bit addressing, improved efficiency with task management on multiple processors, and others. It’s undetermined which OS is better, but from my own perspective as a long-time Mac user, I will say I already prefer the current Mac OS X Leopard to Windows 7. If you’re looking (or willing) to switch to a radically different OS, then OS X Snow Leopard is an option to consider before committing to Windows 7

and lol..he is a mac user of course he is gonna bag w7 big time. to mac users windows / ms is the devil that must be destroyed.

hemmy
08-22-09, 11:25 PM
Just right click on the taskbar and selct never combine for the taskbar buttons. Viola! Problem solved for the stacked windows.

Yep, that is a stupid complaint. I use "Combine when full" so its the best of both worlds ;)

nutcrackr
08-22-09, 11:50 PM
the guy said at the end he prefers mac os x. That's fine in itself, it's his opinion after all. But that opinion makes the article completely worthless to me because I think Mac OS is complete rubbish.

Lfctony
08-23-09, 12:12 AM
Bring the friggin' quicklaunch back, officially. The method used now makes it disappear every couple of restarts. How hard is that?

betterdan
08-23-09, 12:34 AM
Bring the friggin' quicklaunch back, officially. The method used now makes it disappear every couple of restarts. How hard is that?

Just add a new toolbar with the icons you want on it then hide the name.

crainger
08-23-09, 12:36 AM
But, he did have another article which spoke glowingly of Windows 7 as well sooooo... maybe he's just looking for hits.

This is the current world of online IT journalism. There are SO many sites and blogs and 'digg'ing it's very hard to standout. So you make up and post stuff just to get noticed.

I mean have you seen the outrageous stuff MikeC posts on the front page? ::p:

Lfctony
08-23-09, 02:07 AM
Just add a new toolbar with the icons you want on it then hide the name.

That's what I did. But it disappears after 3-4 restarts. Unless you are referring to making my own toolbar with my own folder etc...

betterdan
08-23-09, 02:26 AM
That's what I did. But it disappears after 3-4 restarts. Unless you are referring to making my own toolbar with my own folder etc...

Yep make your own folder, fill it with the icons you want then add it as a toolbar.