PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card/AC97 Combo?

seeker
08-22-09, 10:23 PM
Since the sound card that I intend to use on a new rig is an Audigy 2 ZS Gamer, and I don't have a spare drive bay to attach to it, the only FP audio available is the ones on the case itself, and they are designed to attach to the MB's AC97 or HD Audio. My MB (A8N32-SLI Deluxe) only has AC97, but I think that with a sound card installed, that this is automatically disabled...true/false? The only internal output connectors on the sound card is designed to connect with a ribbon cable to a drive bay, so I'm wondering if it is somehow possible to use the case sound jacks, yet use the sound card for normal 5.1 audio?

seeker
08-23-09, 11:01 AM
Okay, since there appears to be no answer to my question forthcoming, I will just ask another related question...the AC97 connector on the MB has jumpers on two pairs of pins, which has to be removed to connect the FP cable. Since the MB's connector is inaccessible with a couple of PCI cards that I need, if I install the FP cable in this manner and disable AC97 in the BIOS, would it have any adverse effect on the sound card's operation?

Yaboze
08-24-09, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure 100% sure what you are trying to do. All I know is, you have onboard sound, you need to disable it before putting in a soundcard, or both will be active.

As for AC97/HD Audio connectors, my Antec 900 has a connector, which supports Intel HD Audio, as does my X-FI Titanium. I just plugged it in from the case to the side of the card and when I plug in a headphone set on the top front of the case, the speakers shut off. It works fine.

I heard you shouldn't plug AC97 into HD Audio and vice versa, unless the device says it can support both.

seeker
08-24-09, 11:13 PM
The bottom line is whether having both AC97 and the sound card both active, at the same time, will cause a problem? Of course, my sound card's version is older than your's, and has no connectors on it to connect either AC97 or HD Audio, so the reason that I'm asking about simutaneous sound systems is so that the FP audio can be used, while the sound card remains active?

bu1basaur
08-25-09, 04:57 AM
I have a Sound Blaster Live! enabled along with my onboard realtek. I haven't come across any problems yet. I use the SB for speakers and onboard for my headset.

zarlaan
08-25-09, 08:13 PM
It should work just fine. I've had my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 working along with the onboard audio from my Abit AB9-Pro motherboard.

If i'm not mistaken the only thing that happens when you connect the front audio inputs to the motherboard is it disables the HD audio and just runs the generic AC97'. At least that's how I understood it from my motherboard.