PDA

View Full Version : John Carmack: "We have no plans to leave the PC Market"

Intel17
08-24-09, 03:05 PM
Even though id Software seems to be going multiplatform, it appears that they do not plan to leave the PC market.

I sent John Carmack the following email:
Do you think that the PC platform will still be viable for high-budget, triple-A titles down the road?

And about 30 seconds later, I recieved this very reassuring reply:

John Carmack says:
We have no plans to leave the PC market.

This is very good news, yes? At least id won't be turning into Epic...

Destroy
08-24-09, 03:21 PM
He replied to your email? Nice.

Rage will be a good id consolitis test on whether they still know how to do their PC stuff properly.

Slightly OT but did I read the other day that Rage will be OpenGL only on PC??!!

Intel17
08-24-09, 03:26 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/08/24/carmack_no_linux_version_rage/

John Carmack says
The PC and Mac versions are still OpenGL 2.x. We are not currently scheduling native linux ports. It isn't out of the question, but I don't think we will be able to justify the work. If there are hundreds of thousands of linux users playing Quake Live when we are done with Rage, that would certainly influence our decision...

So yeah, OpenGL on PC and Mac.

Quick420
08-24-09, 03:37 PM
Please JC leave,concentrate on the cell-phone market you tool:captnkill:

Mr. Hunt
08-24-09, 03:41 PM
What does John Carmack have to do with AAA titles? ;)

Ancient76
08-24-09, 03:48 PM

Nothing!

jAkUp
08-24-09, 03:51 PM
I don't think anyone ever doubted that id would leave the PC Market.

pakotlar
08-24-09, 03:51 PM

Oh, just 95% of the design decisions of the incorporated graphics & physics engine. Carmack shouldn't be judged on whether or not the game turns out to be AAA (Doom 3 was btw ~ 90% avg. from most large sites, 87% on metacritic, regardless of whether or not we agree with that...), because that's much more on the rest of the team. Carmack's biggest influence is definetely on the graphic side, the art side, and while I'm sure he has a lot of influence in terms of gameplay decisions, that's not his role, and when complaining about the gameplay of a title, you should look to the people who have pivotal leverage there.

pakotlar
08-24-09, 03:52 PM
I don't think anyone ever doubted that id would leave the PC Market.

Leave? Or put to the sideroad, behind the shrubs, behind the fields, behind the mountains, in a dark cave? The latter we're all concerned about.

Intel17
08-24-09, 04:05 PM
Leave? Or put to the sideroad, behind the shrubs, behind the fields, behind the mountains, in a dark cave? The latter we're all concerned about.

Well, it appears that they're developing Rage around the specs of the 360 (if it runs smoothly at 60 fps on a 360...), so it's not like they can do super-amazing-crysis type stuff. However, he did mention that DOOM 4 would be a 30Hz game on the 360/PS3, so us PC'ers will have a framerate advantage (the ones with super high end stuff, anyway).

Yaboze
08-24-09, 04:09 PM
Some people are probably thinking id would leave....due to companies like Epic and to a lesser extent, EA/Activision with consolitus.

I wrote Carmack once, back in the Quake 3 days, he wrote me back the same day and was very cool. It was a question about Quake 3's client prediction, two people would grab a gun at the same time and it would give you the gun for a second then take it away because the other guy did get it first. This was during Quake 3 Test when they were still tweaking network latency to hitting targets and picking up stuff, etc.

Intel17
08-24-09, 04:22 PM
Carmack's usually really cool about answering people if he has time. I think he's pretty awesome :D

|MaguS|
08-24-09, 04:37 PM
Wana know something funny? Since he sold ID to ZeniMax Media, he really has no control. If ZeniMax Media wanted to go console exclusive next year he has absolutly no say in the matter.

Sean_W
08-24-09, 04:41 PM
Well, they could make plans to leave the PC market tomorrow, so that statement means absolutely nothing.

If they did start to make plans tomorrow, they wouldn't be lying to you with that statement.

pakotlar
08-24-09, 04:50 PM
Wana know something funny? Since he sold ID to ZeniMax Media, he really has no control. If ZeniMax Media wanted to go console exclusive next year he has absolutly no say in the matter.

That's absolutely not true. This isn't the Empire. It's a business, and a collaboration. The people at Id have enough clout and mobility to be able to dictate their own projects to a great extent I'm sure. Anyways, Id certainly negotiated clauses in their purchase agreement which would prevent Zenimax from using them like this, and there are most likely certain contingency clauses to allow them seperation from Zenimax [after paying back the purchase #] in the event of creative or collaborative conflict of interest. ID doesn't have to do anything they don't want to do. There are a million publishers who would love to back them; they are still relevant, but more importantly carry respect and highly influential, marketable intangible assets, which Zenimax does not own.

pakotlar
08-24-09, 05:01 PM
Well, they could make plans to leave the PC market tomorrow, so that statement means absolutely nothing.

If they did start to make plans tomorrow, they wouldn't be lying to you with that statement.

This is another consideration. Business announcements today, while they may follow yesterday's precedent, tomorrow could forge a new path, shift their business strategy. Carmack was also a strictly OpenGL guy, loved the flexibility, said DX8 wasn't quite there yet, and now it's all Direct X. Good businesses adapt their strategy as soon as there is a better way to be profitable. ID is no different, and this move with Zenimax shows us that. I'm sure if the economics no longer made sense PC would get dumped. However, the chances of that happening are null. There are a billion PC users. Consoles have a long way to go to reach that kind of penetration. If software distribution, software piracy, and hardware configuration complexity issues are solved, PC will absolutely be able to foster better sales. Along side the fact that there are just certain ideas that work better on PC indicates to me that ID won't be leaving the PC market not for any fanboyish appeal, but because it makes financial sense to stay.

NarcissistZero
08-24-09, 08:59 PM
Even the rumors of RAGE consolization are mostly based on partial sentences and misinformation. I don't think we have much to worry about for the near future...

That said, it certainly makes sense for publishers to concentrate on console, and thus most developers do too. That is just the situation we are in now.

Atomizer
08-25-09, 12:48 AM
That's absolutely not true. This isn't the Empire. It's a business, and a collaboration. The people at Id have enough clout and mobility to be able to dictate their own projects to a great extent I'm sure. Anyways, Id certainly negotiated clauses in their purchase agreement which would prevent Zenimax from using them like this, and there are most likely certain contingency clauses to allow them seperation from Zenimax [after paying back the purchase #] in the event of creative or collaborative conflict of interest. ID doesn't have to do anything they don't want to do. There are a million publishers who would love to back them; they are still relevant, but more importantly carry respect and highly influential, marketable intangible assets, which Zenimax does not own.

Not to mention that if Zenimax were going to force consoles on developers, then Fallout 3 would have already been a console exclusive, Bethesda is still making games for PC, and they have been under Zenimax for awhile, so I doubt they would suddenly try to force id to do it

NarcissistZero
08-25-09, 01:45 AM
From everything I have read, Zenimax pretty much completely leaves you alone as long as you make a profit.