PDA

View Full Version : Need a new rig, please help

holmes
08-27-09, 12:42 AM
Hi all, I've been on extended vacation for the past 4 years or so. I recently saw a trailer of id's new game and am considering getting back into the hobby.. As you can see from my sig, I am in need of a completely new setup. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world of gaming and high performance setups. Is AMD still good? Does Vista suck? Should I wait for windows 7? What the heck is the video card of the day? I just read a review of the nvidia 280/260, which sounds awesome. In particular I'm liking the 260 -- in the same spirit of my 6800gt perhaps? I'm looking for something somewhat affordable -- meaning everything should cost less than $1K. I'm hoping for the $700 - 800 range though. I imagine I need new everything. Please don't talk to me like I'm a newb, I've just been out of the loop for a while.. Thanks!

a12ctic
08-27-09, 12:46 AM
First of all, as a Linux user, you should read my thread discussing ATI's recent efforts on the front.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137174

Second, if you don't upgrade often, you should wait for r800/Nvidias next gen.

CaptNKILL
08-27-09, 01:14 AM
If I were you I'd wait a bit.

You'll definitely be able to get a nice system for $800 right now, but over the next month or two ATI and nvidia will be having their first major graphics card releases in 2-3 years. The 280\260 and even the very successful 4870 were all basically refreshes of earlier technology. The cards we'll be seeing over the next few months should offer some huge performance increases and better features. Most importantly though, they'll bring the prices of everything else down.

Bearclaw
08-27-09, 01:14 AM
If you're looking for a quad that performs well but is on the cheaper side, look at the AMD Phenom II 940. GREAT chip. Used it for gaming/editing, etc. before I sold it and got my laptop.

holmes
08-27-09, 09:19 AM
I've softened my political leanings towards linux lately, so I'm not really considering building a system with that in mind. I bought a mac almost two years ago and haven't really looked back. I did use linux exclusively until that point though. Nowadays, I'm considering building a gaming machine strictly for that -- I have my mac for everything else. So from that point of view I take it MS only has DX10 on vista? I was considering just building something around winXP, but not if I won't be able to experience the full deal.

This isn't something I'm putting together in the next week, just kind of feeling my way around a little to see what's out there. Obviously I have a lot to read up on. I've always been an AMD kind of guy but I'm interested to see what intel has out there. How far out is rage? I'm sure the stock answer is "when it's done", but is this something imminent or maybe two years? Thanks :)

holmes
08-27-09, 09:43 AM
My monitor is a samsung syncmaster 930BF with 1280x1024 native res, by the way. Not planning on upgrading that, so I'm sure that's a factor in my decision.

bacon12
08-27-09, 10:01 AM
You can get an 17 920, a decent motherboard, 6gb ddr3, a nice video card(gtx 260 280), and ps for under $1000. Would be a future proof upgrade, and ram and mobo prices are more reasonable than a few months ago.

grey_1
08-27-09, 10:28 AM
Even a less than $150 22" LCD would make the rest of the hardware you're considering worth it. 1680x1050 will just start to give those gfx cards mentioned a decent workout and the IQ you would see compared to 1280x1024 would be a good deal higher.

Phenom II Quad rig + a 22" LCD could be had well within your price range.

Just my humble .02

XDanger
08-27-09, 10:51 AM
You can get an 17 920, a decent motherboard, 6gb ddr3, a nice video card(gtx 260 280), and ps for under $1000. Would be a future proof upgrade, and ram and mobo prices are more reasonable than a few months ago.

As long as it has usb 3.0, pci-e 3.0 and sata 6gb/s, then its future proof.

hell_of_doom227
08-27-09, 10:57 AM
As long as it has usb 3.0 pci-e 3.0 and sata 6gb/s, then its future proof.

No it's not cause we don't really need usb 3.0, pci-e 3.0 and sata 6gb/s at this moment.

XDanger
08-27-09, 11:04 AM
No it's not cause we don't really need usb 3.0, pci-e 3.0 and sata 6gb/s at this moment.

erm... huh?

newparad1gm
08-27-09, 11:23 AM

Isn't the point of future-proofing getting something you don't really need at this moment but you might need in the future?

As for building a nice cheap comp right now for gaming, getting an AMD Phenom and pairing it with a 4850 or 4870 is probably the best price for performance right now, but with the ATI 58xx and NVIDIA GT300s right around the corner, as well as the imminent release of Intel's Core i5 and P55 motherboard platform, it might be better to hold off until all the cards are on the table and you can make a better purchasing decision then.

nekrosoft13
08-27-09, 11:36 AM

PCI-E 3.0 i might agree on, but

USB 3.0 we needed about 4 years ago, USB 2.0 is slow, way to slow for larger external hdds.
SATA2 is limiting factor in SSD, companies started making PCI-E based SSD, all because SATA2 is to slow.

XDanger
08-27-09, 11:42 AM
pci-e 3.0 SSD sounds good.

I'll take 8.

bacon12
08-27-09, 11:46 AM
You guys have a point about sata especially, but anything other than an Intel SSD would be a retarded decision, and most definitely not in a $1000 budget build to spend 1/4 or 1/3 of the buggie on the hard drive.

holmes
08-27-09, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone -- it's been too long. I was starting to get some cravings for some good fps action. While I certainly want something somewhat future proof, price is a big consideration. I miss the days of just buying a new gfx card and you're good. I guess thats what happens when you sit on the sidelines for a few years. Over the next few weeks I'll research what's out there and what's just around the corner. Hope to see you online sometime soon.. thanks :)

Maverick123w
08-27-09, 01:58 PM
If you're not gonna be gaming past 1280x1024 I think the current gen cards will already be overkill so just get one of them with a Phenom tri or quad core imo....

Tuork
08-27-09, 04:10 PM
I'm don't have anything particularly insightful to offer, but I'm also thinking of getting a new rig sometime in the next couple of months, depending on how things work out for me... so I'm adding myself to this thread :p.

As for advice, I highly recommend you invest in a new monitor. You might not think of it as necessary, but trust, it's a huge plus to have a good widescreen monitor. It's doesn't even have to be huge/crazy expensive. You can get some pretty decent 22" for a reasonable price.

If you're a patient man and just treading the "upgrade waters" for now, I would think holding out until the new series comes out. Even they are expensive, they'll bring everything else down, as someone else has alreaedy mentioned. That, and you'll probably find someone selling previous gen tech for a good price. It would be a great chance to jump on a gt260 or something of the sort.

The current memory fad is to get 6GB in triple channel, as far as I know. As for processors and power supplies, I haven't the slightest clue. :p

holmes
08-29-09, 12:21 PM
I'm don't have anything particularly insightful to offer, but I'm also thinking of getting a new rig sometime in the next couple of months, depending on how things work out for me... so I'm adding myself to this thread :p.

As for advice, I highly recommend you invest in a new monitor. You might not think of it as necessary, but trust, it's a huge plus to have a good widescreen monitor. It's doesn't even have to be huge/crazy expensive. You can get some pretty decent 22" for a reasonable price.

If you're a patient man and just treading the "upgrade waters" for now, I would think holding out until the new series comes out. Even they are expensive, they'll bring everything else down, as someone else has alreaedy mentioned. That, and you'll probably find someone selling previous gen tech for a good price. It would be a great chance to jump on a gt260 or something of the sort.

The current memory fad is to get 6GB in triple channel, as far as I know. As for processors and power supplies, I haven't the slightest clue. :p

Yeah, right now I'm not really looking to upgrade the monitor. I got the current one a few months before my priorities shifted. So I really haven't enjoyed it all that much. I understand that getting an expensive card wont truly be worth it without a better monitor, but I think if I upgrade in pieces I won't have so much sticker shock all at once. Heck if you look at my old specs I was already stretching an aging system with respect to the 6800 GT. I don't like going high end, but kind of next best thing hardware. With the new gen coming out soon I should be in a good position to get some of this stuff at a decent price. :)

Tuork
08-29-09, 01:01 PM
Good thinking.
Keep an eye out for the buy/sell section. I'm sure plenty of upgrade maniacs... err... I mean users, will want to sell their GT260/280 for the new gen cards and you'll be able to get a really decent price.