PDA

View Full Version : EA Spends Twice a Game's Development Cost on Marketing

NarcissistZero
08-27-09, 06:01 PM
If ever there was a knockout punch in the debate over whether the industry is changing in ways bad for the dedicated and enthusiast consumer, here it is.

See it here: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=101634
I appreciate the frankness of his comments on how mainstreaming the industry is changing games in a bad way for the hardcore crowd. That said, it still depresses me.

I feel it will be almost no time at all until this industry goes to a place I cannot follow, like movies have for the most part.

Or maybe I am super doom and gloom man today. It IS raining here.

3DBrad
08-27-09, 06:20 PM
Gears of War and other AAA do the same. "AAA titles" refers to a game's marketing cost rather than its development cost, though they're tied together.

Buio
08-27-09, 08:43 PM
It's a lot of hot air. They can get really burned when they find out the huge group of casual gamers also like to buy 1 game every 3 years. To be honest, I would roll on the floor laughing if Wii started to dive and Natal + a bunch of EA casual games sold nothing.

bacon12
08-27-09, 08:51 PM
l have been convinced of this for a while now. Apparently the word of other gamers telling friends that a game is awesome can't sell games anymore, oh wait its the fact that crap games won't sell that way.

NarcissistZero
08-27-09, 10:09 PM
It's a lot of hot air. They can get really burned when they find out the huge group of casual gamers also like to buy 1 game every 3 years. To be honest, I would roll on the floor laughing if Wii started to dive and Natal + a bunch of EA casual games sold nothing.

I'm pretty sure that is almost already the case.

The people they are targeting are the same people who go see Transformers in droves... not the moms and girlfriends. The Halo crowd.

candle_86
08-27-09, 10:43 PM
dont mention Halo, it has caused enough damage already

Chesskid1
08-28-09, 03:05 AM
i haven't played it but everyone said Assassin's Creed was horrible and it sold like 10000000000000000 copies, jus because it was marketed everywhere and looked awesome (even though most say it's awesome), but that's how it is with everythign in the advertising market really?

NarcissistZero
08-28-09, 06:01 AM
i haven't played it but everyone said Assassin's Creed was horrible and it sold like 10000000000000000 copies, jus because it was marketed everywhere and looked awesome (even though most say it's awesome), but that's how it is with everythign in the advertising market really?

I loved Assassin's Creed.

K007
08-28-09, 09:18 AM
thats sad to hear...but i guess u gotta spend a lot to get the name out for the game. and if its good it brings in the $$..and if its a flop like ut3...then yea...its cause of pc piracy!..

MustangSVT
08-28-09, 10:27 AM
Assasin's Creed was a pretty good game. What are you talking about?

Ninja Prime
08-28-09, 03:57 PM
Not surprizing to me. EA's crappy games always have a sh!tstorm of ads, and most get good reviews from review sites, but mysteriously the average player isn't nearly as impressed.