PDA

View Full Version : Alienware vs. Dell Dimension XPS vs. Gateway 700XL

Pages : [1] 2

Kain
06-23-03, 04:14 PM
If you were deciding between these three brands of PCs only, which one would you pick disregarding price?

UDawg
06-23-03, 04:49 PM
Change your user name to PollGuy. ;) :p

Kain
06-23-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by UDawg71
Change your user name to PollGuy. ;) :p Baaaaaaaad dawg. :angel:

b00bie
06-23-03, 05:14 PM
Change your user name to PollGuy. ;) :p

heheh... :p

Gator
06-23-03, 08:04 PM
you are missing a choice on the poll... build it yourself: pick and choose the quality parts you want, mod it with funky lights and fans, get any color or design of case you want, no need to worry about upgradability later, spend about a fraction of the price ;)

The Baron
06-23-03, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Gator
you are missing a choice on the poll... build it yourself: pick and choose the quality parts you want, mod it with funky lights and fans, get any color or design of case you want, no need to worry about upgradability later, spend about a fraction of the price ;)
But I see it right there! ;)

b00bie
06-23-03, 08:57 PM
Oh, I didn't know that option was available. Since you said we had to decide from those PCs ONLY, I chose alienware... but since you have a choice of building it yourself added, I change my vote to build it yourself and get a better price on the comp you want!!!:D :D ;)

Gator
06-23-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
But I see it right there! ;)

LOL... ya he added it after i posted... GOOD BOY KAIN! The best computer in the world is the one you build yourself ;)

The Baron
06-23-03, 10:21 PM
I don't know if it was Kain that added it ;)

/me wears his BOFH Badge proudly

Sorry, couldn't resist. Too many polls, not enough options. :D

silence
06-24-03, 04:08 AM
whoever added it...did good job.

Kain
06-24-03, 04:32 AM
Comon! It was strickly between these three brands!

Kain
06-24-03, 05:12 AM
The reason why I was looking at those three brand was because I really don't upgrade my PC. I mean I use it for 2-3 years and then get a brand new one. Due to this, it doesn't really matter how "upgradeable" those PCs are.

Gator
06-24-03, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Kain
The reason why I was looking at those three brand was because I really don't upgrade my PC. I mean I use it for 2-3 years and then get a brand new one. Due to this, it doesn't really matter how "upgradeable" those PCs are.

ok... but then there are all the other reasons I listed to build your own. I didn't realize Baron added the choice to the poll Kain, but build it yourself is the best choice. However, if you still refuse to save yourself a lot of money, you can at least get a quality computer from Alienware. Yes, between those 3 choices, if money is not a problem than Alienware is definetly the best. But I hope your rich :rolleyes: And why do I choose Alienware? Because both Dell and Gateway may list a nice specs sheet, but the fact remains they use custom-made CHEAP parts. Specifically Dell and Gateway motherboards are subpar, and I know many Dell video cards are custom version that are below spec (like super slow R9800/9700's)

silence
06-24-03, 06:09 AM

that doesn't mean u can't build ur own system....choose best parts from around and get someone who can put them together.

it's not not only question of money....building your own system gives u so many more options. u can tweak everything u like and you can be damn sure that u have what u payed for....

i dunno for Alienware, but i never saw really good mobos in pre-build PC's....and if u have sh|tty mobo, you lose way to much.....

if u want....u can post how much cash u think to spend on new comp....then we can make suggestions what to buy and then u can compere such system to any of those pre-build.....
you might end up VERY surprised :cool:

Smokey
06-24-03, 06:37 AM

Honestly, building it yourself is the best way to go. In the end, you can save yourself money, and put everything that you want in it. Building your own just gives you so much choice, and its not as hard as you may think ;)

Kain
06-24-03, 08:41 AM
Well, did you read this review? DIY PC vs. OEM.

The Gateway outperformed the DIY PC in some tests.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1131725,00.asp

The Baron
06-24-03, 09:13 AM
The only problem is the number of stupid decisions with the DIY PC.

A. Wrong heatsink, buddy! WRONG HEATSINK! Yes, I know I ***** the SLK900U every damn day, but there's a reason for it.

B. Raptors are highly overrated. Get a pair of those Maxtor SATA drives that AshG reviewed... with the PCI bus limitations gone, you win. I don't think I even need to mention SCSI...

C. Can you overclock the other ones? Hmmmmmmmm? Doubt it. Nough Said.

UDawg
06-24-03, 09:52 AM
Who keeps voting for Alienware? A fancy case does not a computer make. :rolleyes: Come on! I'll come over to your house and build it for you. :)

The Baron
06-24-03, 09:59 AM
Actually, those 6 for Alienware were before the "Added Option." ;)

jAkUp
06-24-03, 12:53 PM
even if you build a computer from scratch its still cheaper, and you still get better quality parts in some cases. im for building all the way:D and i also enjoy building systems;)

UDawg
06-24-03, 03:34 PM
I just want the names of those who voted for the Alienware. :mad:

:p :p

b00bie
06-24-03, 03:39 PM
I just want the names of those who voted for the Alienware. :mad:
:p :p

Well, if you read my earlier post, you will see that I did before there ws an option for 'build it yourself'. ;)

So what's your beef?:p

Kain
06-24-03, 03:41 PM
By the way, I don't get it when people say building your own PC is cheaper. I mean when I pick the parts it comes out about the same price as an OEM PC.

b00bie
06-24-03, 03:43 PM
By the way, I don't get it when people say building your own PC is cheaper. I mean when I pick the parts it comes out about the same price as an OEM PC.

Well, are the parts in that computer the same as those you hand picked???

Kain
06-24-03, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by b00bie
Well, are the parts in that computer the same as those you hand picked??? I don't know because they don't tell which exact brand of parts they use. But if the specs are the same, then the price is about the same.