PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Q

bob saget
08-30-09, 02:50 AM
I am now considering getting a new hard drive. I have about 50 gigs left on my older western digital caviar + new one would be sata, and not that ugly wide ribbon.
Anyways, so 2 questions: Which hard drive would you recommend that is size 1TB - 750gig. If incredible value, 500gig would be fine too. I fill them up very slowly. Money is no object, but I would like to keep it at around 120ish.
This one caught my eye so far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

2. How would I go about moving all my stuff from my current drive to the new one. I am guessing its not a simple copy + paste. There are programs, drivers, etc. I'd only like to use a single hard drive in the end.

Thanks for help.

hokeyplyr48
08-30-09, 11:01 AM
you can use acronis to image the drive to another drive if you have programs/OS/etc on it.

If it's just files then a simple copy/paste will work

Maverick123w
08-30-09, 11:09 AM
+1 for the caviar black.

I own it and it's an amazing drive for the money. Upgrading from an old sata seagate drive was one of the best upgrades I've ever done.

bob saget
08-30-09, 12:12 PM
you can use acronis to image the drive to another drive if you have programs/OS/etc on it.

No its the whole deal. OS, programs, games....
I will look for that program, thanks.

XDanger
08-30-09, 03:22 PM
No its the whole deal. OS, programs, games....
I will look for that program, thanks.

Maxblast "powered by Acronis"

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

I used it to move my OS onto my Caviar
+1 for great drive...so far

bob saget
08-30-09, 04:12 PM
Great!

BCKator
08-31-09, 12:18 AM
Take a look at the WD Data Lifeguard tools. It should come w/ the non-oem drives and I think you can download it as well. It has a transfer utilility which is, I think, a strip down (or older) version of acronis true image. Other HD suppliers may have similar utilities to assist in imaging old drives to new. I have a couple of WD caviar black 1TB drives and am planning on using some 640G versions in my next build. No problems (touch/knock wood). There is one reviewer on newegg who recommends, if buying just oem HDs, that you have them shipped fedex since the standard (UPS?) methods are too harsh and newegg is not always smart about their oem protection. So far, I've never done this, but I typically order other stuff when buying an HD.

PaiN
08-31-09, 05:25 AM
I also need(ed) more space badly, after doing some research I decided on two 640gb WD Blacks :thumbsup: in RAID "0" ..bought yesterday
I'm likely going to reinstall Vista 64 for the time being until I get my copy of Windows7 HP upgrade...

bacon12
08-31-09, 07:13 AM
You'll love the wd 640's. I have had 6 for a while, and I think they are great drives as well. Very fast in raid for the money, and I haven't heard of one person complaining about a failure.

Wolken007
08-31-09, 07:38 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

I use these. Excellent drives.

bob saget
08-31-09, 02:42 PM
Take a look at the WD Data Lifeguard tools. It should come w/ the non-oem drives and I think you can download it as well. It has a transfer utilility which is, I think, a strip down (or older) version of acronis true image. Other HD suppliers may have similar utilities to assist in imaging old drives to new. I have a couple of WD caviar black 1TB drives and am planning on using some 640G versions in my next build. No problems (touch/knock wood). There is one reviewer on newegg who recommends, if buying just oem HDs, that you have them shipped fedex since the standard (UPS?) methods are too harsh and newegg is not always smart about their oem protection. So far, I've never done this, but I typically order other stuff when buying an HD.

gotcha. I too have seen those reviews, but i was actually planning on buying them from a store in vancouver. They pricematch newegg for me :)

Bearclaw
08-31-09, 02:45 PM
Don't forget to throw your new HD in the oven. :bleh:

lduguay
08-31-09, 02:59 PM
Don't forget to throw your new HD in the oven. :bleh:

:nono: black caviar in the over is for loosers

PaiN
08-31-09, 03:54 PM
:nono: black caviar in the oven is for loosers

yes it is.....but...black cat in the oven is delicious :eek:

http://www.junkdrawerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/windowslivewriterwhenpracticaljokesgobad-f1c6black-cat-2.jpg
bye kitty...

betterdan
08-31-09, 06:00 PM
:lol2:

I have the 640GB WD black Caviar and I don't have one negative thing to say about it. I bought it from Newegg but I also ordered other parts at the same time so it all came in one big box stuffed with shipping popcorn. The drive was just in a plastic baggy thing laying in the box but luckily the other parts were holding it secure. If they had shipped the hd by itself I imagine it probably would have been damaged like others have complained about.

nekrosoft13
08-31-09, 07:40 PM

I would do acronis, and not image, but clone drive

with image, you have to make image, and then place the image somewhere, and then restore image. more work.

With clone drive, it just makes excact copy from one hdd to another.

nekrosoft13
08-31-09, 07:43 PM
640GB WD are excellent, i have 4 of the blue series in my primary rig. will keep them until ssd prices drop

bob saget
08-31-09, 10:25 PM
I would do acronis, and not image, but clone drive

with image, you have to make image, and then place the image somewhere, and then restore image. more work.

With clone drive, it just makes excact copy from one hdd to another.

Thats precisely what i need.

nekrosoft13
08-31-09, 10:46 PM
Thats precisely what i need.

excactly what I do, everytime i upgrade hdd.

XDanger
09-01-09, 01:01 PM
excactly what I do, everytime i upgrade hdd.

I seem to recall I did that with Maxblast in the past, Not sure if it still does that.

I prefer to have an OS image lying around anyway just in case.