PDA

View Full Version : Basic Components Decision

Pages : [1] 2

seeker
08-30-09, 11:19 AM
It appears that the MB that I intended to use for a new rig I'm building is no good, so I need to buy another. I'm faced with the decision to stay in the same category (939), or to upgrade...cost is the controlling factor.

I realize that many of you would advise me to go the Intel route for the sake of performance, but that would require MB, CPU & memory, as well as the fact that the few Intel MBs that I have seen lack sufficient PCI slots, that I need for existing devices that I have and want to use.

Ebaying, it will cost me from $100-$200+, to purchase a A8N32-SLI Deluxe, depending on whether it is new or used. I will probably go for the cheaper option, unless there is a route to upgrade that will keep me in the $200 range. The only things that I have seen in the past were a few AMD combo deals, but I haven't checked much recently, and want to make a decision quickly. Can anyone offer any helpful insights?

bacon12
08-30-09, 11:57 AM
You don't have to go intel, but 939 is long gone man and buying anything new would be foolish.

AM3 or 775, I am sure you can find a board with enough pci slots unless you need more than 3.

Whats you budget? And exactly how many PCI slots do you need?

candle_86
08-30-09, 12:09 PM
well on overclock.net theres a guy selling a freash RMA'd Saphire 580x 939 board for 75 if that interests you

seeker
08-30-09, 12:13 PM
You don't have to go intel, but 939 is long gone man and buying anything new would be foolish.

It would be foolish, if performance was my first consideration...cost is.

AM3 or 775, I am sure you can find a board with enough pci slots unless you need more than 3.

AM3 might be okay, but that would require replacing the CPU and memory...only if there were a good deal on a combo. 775...isn't that Intel?

Whats you budget? And exactly how many PCI slots do you need?
Only a couple of hundred. 3 PCI minimum.

seeker
08-30-09, 12:19 PM
well on overclock.net theres a guy selling a freash RMA'd Saphire 580x 939 board for 75 if that interests you

I really don't know, but from a quick Google, it appears that MB is Crossfire, which is ATI, and I intend to remain with Nvidia. I know absolutely nothing about Saphire, the only good MBs that I have had lately were Asus, so I'm a bit reluctant to change that. Still, if you have a link, I'll take a look.

candle_86
08-30-09, 12:43 PM
http://www.overclock.net/sale/543106-conus-opteron-165-sapphire-pure-enthusiast.html

and he dropped to 55 shipped

if ya wanna get it, ill recomend ya to him, all ya gotta do is register there and ill speak for you

that or you can grab mine its for sale also, but doesnt OC well

http://www.overclock.net/sale/563754-us48-939-combo.html

seeker
08-30-09, 05:45 PM
I'm not too fond of the idea, because it only has 1 PCIe x16 slot, but I did come across a combo of an Intel® Desktop Board D915PGN with an Intel Pentium 4 630 processor (3.0Ghz, 800mhz, 2mb) with an EVGA 7300 PCIe video card for $110. The only reason that I'm looking at it is because of the combo price, and thinking that it might serve as a stepping stone for upgrading, but the only component that might stay on is the CPU. However, with as little as I know about Intel, I'm not even sure that it is worth it or not. I know that this is a dated CPU, but is it worthwhile?

a12ctic
08-30-09, 06:08 PM
Eh, just go with a 785/780G, black edition 550, and 4gb of some ram, it'll be under 200$ and definitely the best option with the most potential for upgrade.

seeker
08-30-09, 06:32 PM
Perhaps, but the MB is ~$120 + CPU ~$100 + ??? for memory. That's going to run quite a bit more than $200, and that MB is short 1 PCIe x16, and 1 PCI slots that I need.

a12ctic
08-30-09, 06:45 PM
Perhaps, but the MB is ~$120 + CPU ~$100 + ??? for memory. That's going to run quite a bit more than $200, and that MB is short 1 PCIe x16, and 1 PCI slots that I need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135228 84$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343%201050748058&name=Athlon%20II%20X2 76$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178219 48$

total = $208

very upgradable, new cpu thats pretty fast and power efficient, sli + nice board.

seeker
08-30-09, 06:50 PM
Sorry, I never order anything from Newegg. I wouldn't even if it were free.

a12ctic
08-30-09, 07:50 PM
Sorry, I never order anything from Newegg. I wouldn't even if it were free.

Buy them from somewhere else, just look at the components.

seeker
08-30-09, 08:06 PM
I have been, but so far the prices that I've found have been close to what I posted in #9 above. Not all that much higher than your Egg prices, but enough to make a difference to me. I guess that it's not going to be possible, but I was hoping to find something with all of the features of my broken Asus board, but I guess not.

I found a 939 socket tester on eBay, which I'm wondering if it would pinpoint the problem in the board that I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Test-Desktop-Processor-939-CPU-Socket-Tester-Checker_W0QQitemZ110428486499QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b60cfb63&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

But that woud probably end up being a waste of time and money.

CaptNKILL
08-30-09, 08:28 PM
I have been, but so far the prices that I've found have been close to what I posted in #9 above. Not all that much higher than your Egg prices, but enough to make a difference to me. I guess that it's not going to be possible, but I was hoping to find something with all of the features of my broken Asus board, but I guess not.

I found a 939 socket tester on eBay, which I'm wondering if it would pinpoint the problem in the board that I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Test-Desktop-Processor-939-CPU-Socket-Tester-Checker_W0QQitemZ110428486499QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b60cfb63&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

But that woud probably end up being a waste of time and money.

So, you'd buy a socket tester (whatever that is) for $12.50 from an eBay seller from Hong Kong before you'd buy components from the most reputable PC hardware store online? :lol:

seeker
08-30-09, 08:34 PM
You must understand that I suffer from a generational curse...being tight. I have a closet full of inoperative motherboards that I can't bring myself to throw away, so this might be a solution for them, even if not for the current problem.

mythy
08-30-09, 08:38 PM
I have a bud who was in the same sit. as you! My solution was a ASUS P5K Deluxe Wifi and a Q8400

The total price? $198 :D I will have that thing OC'ed to 3.6 easy and its one hell of a upgrade! Just some hting to consider...

Bearclaw
08-30-09, 08:40 PM
Seeker, you start threads asking for help and reject ANY help EVERY time. Your threads are basically you stating what you're doing. Great idea... for an idiotic blog.

If you're going to reject everything, just get off the forum. ;)

seeker
08-30-09, 08:43 PM
Seeker, you start threads asking for help and reject ANY help EVERY time. Your threads are basically you stating what you're doing. Great idea... for an idiotic blog.

If you're going to reject everything, just get off the forum. ;)
Sorry, but when and how I post is not subject to your approval. If my posts bother you, then don't read them.

seeker
08-30-09, 08:45 PM
Really? Did you get burned by them in the past? I've never had anything but excellent experiences with newegg, and I've probably ordered nearly $20,000 worth of stuff from them over the past 7 or 8 years.
My problem with the Egg is considerably more complex than a bad deal, but I shall not go into detail, it might bore Bearclaw.

bob saget
08-30-09, 08:53 PM
I have a bud who was in the same sit. as you! My solution was a ASUS P5K Deluxe Wifi and a E8400

The total price? $198 :D I will have that thing OC'ed to 3.6 easy and its one hell of a upgrade! Just some hting to consider...

So wait that ^ does not work for you? Its a pretty amazing deal. Are 3 pci-e slots THAT important for you? That board has 2 for crossfire. Usually only the top end machines have triple GPUs, and if you are going for something like that, you would need a faster CPU anyways.

bob saget
08-30-09, 08:55 PM
I really don't know, but from a quick Google, it appears that MB is Crossfire, which is ATI, and I intend to remain with Nvidia. I know absolutely nothing about Saphire, the only good MBs that I have had lately were Asus, so I'm a bit reluctant to change that. Still, if you have a link, I'll take a look.

What is there to know, its a old ATi vendor, has been around for a while. I strongly suggest you try ATi.

Bearclaw
08-31-09, 12:18 AM
My problem with the Egg is considerably more complex than a bad deal, but I shall not go into detail, it might bore Bearclaw.

Thanks for not going into it. :)

candle_86
08-31-09, 12:18 PM
well you can try one solution ive seen work more than once, toss your mobo in the over, wrap it in tinfoil and bake it. It sometimes fix's broken PC parts if its soder or something came loose, and you havnt got much to loose

seeker
08-31-09, 12:30 PM
well you can try one solution ive seen work more than once, toss your mobo in the over, wrap it in tinfoil and bake it. It sometimes fix's broken PC parts if its soder or something came loose, and you havnt got much to loose
That would probably melt the thermal tape that I used on the heatpipe, but it can be replaced...what should the temp be set at, and how long does it stay in?

Bearclaw
08-31-09, 01:56 PM
That sounds like a good idea.

Just put your whole computer in the over while your at it.

:bleh: