PDA

View Full Version : Questions about hardware investment. CPU or GPU? DX11? Wait?

shilk
08-30-09, 10:34 PM
I asked this question in The Witcher topic and didn't want it to carry on in there. So I made this topic so I can get some input on what's going on.

Right now, my CPU is a Phenom X4 9850 and I'm running a 9600 GT in SLi. 4GB of DDR2 ram, and a standard 2HDD SATA setup on a 750a mobo. Also have a Thermaltake 750 Watt power supply.

My question is that with the given prices of a Phenom II 940 BE (and even the 955) and the price of a GTX 275/260 216 core, what would be the better investment down the line?

nekro suggested a GTX 275 would be good investment, but NarcissistZero said to wait for a DX11 card. I'm not sure I can wait or even afford a DX11 card when it launches. And seeing how ATi may be the first along the lines of releasing the first DX11 capable card, I don't really have a choice sicne I wanna stay clear of ATi (for work reasons).

I do have some credit at Fry's (60 bucks) and with the sale going on now for the GTX 275 for $148, with my store credit I can bring it down to about $88 + tax. I really wanted to save the credit for something else (maybe Black Friday), though. And even at the price of $148 + tax without store credit, it's still a good price I think.

Any recommendations? I'd appreciate any advice. Birthday is next month on the 26th, so I'm kind of keeping my eye out for deals. :)

hokeyplyr48
08-31-09, 10:16 AM
The best investment would to go away from AMD....intel is wiping the floor with them.

and save up till the GT300 would be the best bet. You're just buying old technology in getting the 260/275.

shilk
08-31-09, 02:55 PM
So buying an overly priced CPU that has no signs of dropping in price and a GPU that I can't even afford would be a better choice for now? :p I don't care who's wiping what - I just want a good price/performance ratio. And AMD has the best option for me right now since I already have a usable motherboard.

I'd end up spending WAY too much money to even get a mobo and ram to support a new CPU, and I don't even want to go down that route. Thanks for the suggestion, but I honestly don't want to spend that much.

hokeyplyr48
09-01-09, 05:52 PM
...overpriced? getting an I7 920 and overclocking the **** out of it which costs absolutely nothing and will be better than anything AMD will come out with is a bad idea? But since you have the mobo I guess go with that.

But the GPU route, wait and hold off. Even if you don't want to buy the GT300 when it comes out, all the prices of the comparable cards will drop

Dr.Nick
09-01-09, 06:12 PM
If you're into gaming then a video card is your best bet. If you've been happy with the 9600's for this long you'll love the 275 for a very long time. Also if you can get the 275 for the amount you have listed above I really have only one Q you; WTH have you been waiting for? ;)

ATi
09-02-09, 11:20 PM
get the GTX 275 and wait for Nv DX11 cards the gtx275 is a good deal I'm waiting for the 2nd generation Nvidia Dx11 card for my new RIG:)

shilk
09-03-09, 12:15 PM
Well, October isn't a huge ways off and AMD is supposed to announce their DX 11 lineup. I just saw the DX 10.1 card review on the front page, and I was a bit disappointed to say the least.

hokeyplyr48, that's a good idea. If anything, the price for the current cards should drop like bricks once the new cards come out. Reading about the improvements kind of has me excited, and owning a DX 10 capable card will still yield you benefits with DX 11. So I may hold off on that DX 11 card for now. ATi, that's also a good idea. I'm kind of impatient as it is since I can get a good deal on the card now. I mean, I've been waiting this long as it is and it's killing me.

If you're into gaming then a video card is your best bet. If you've been happy with the 9600's for this long you'll love the 275 for a very long time. Also if you can get the 275 for the amount you have listed above I really have only one Q you; WTH have you been waiting for? ;)
Price, I guess. Back in May, the GTX 275's were still running a little over $300. I would never spend that much on a videocard even if I had the money. And now, in little less than 4 months, it's less than half that price. That's a HUGE price drop if you ask me. :p

One of the things that got me a bit curious about the whole thing was because of this price drop. Since it's so low, it made me wonder if anything else was coming down the lines and if I should wait for that or not.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. :)

a12ctic
09-03-09, 01:00 PM
...overpriced? getting an I7 920 and overclocking the **** out of it which costs absolutely nothing and will be better than anything AMD will come out with is a bad idea? But since you have the mobo I guess go with that.

But the GPU route, wait and hold off. Even if you don't want to buy the GT300 when it comes out, all the prices of the comparable cards will drop

Are you kidding me? Buying a Phenom 955 X4, or even a 945, would almost be the equivalent to a i7 920 performance wise. The 955 isn't that much slower than the i7 920, and it'd be one third as expensive as the i7 920.

Therefor, the best route would be invest in the 955 and wait for DX11 cards.

Maverick123w
09-04-09, 12:07 AM
^^^

Which is exactly what I decided to do. Will the 275 be eligible for a Step-up through EVGA?