PDA

View Full Version : Newegg price gouging

Bman212121
09-01-09, 07:05 PM
Ryan @ pcper has decided to take it upon himself to post news about how Newegg has been trying to screw over its customers. I was close to getting one of the Intel G2 drives at $449 but it was sold out before I added it to my cart.

Kudos to him for getting some coverage about this and I hope that this will spread enough for some higher ups to take notice.

You can read more info about it here.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7706

grey_1
09-01-09, 07:15 PM
That's ridiculous. It does sound as if they were 'caught' so to speak, and I would hope it keeps them honest. That's pretty bad.

nekrosoft13
09-01-09, 07:29 PM
nothing new, newegg does this quite often. when something sells well price magically goes up

Bman212121
09-01-09, 07:34 PM
nothing new, newegg does this quite often. when something sells well price magically goes up

Yes the price does go up and down maybe 5, 10 or 20 dollars, but this is definitely the first time that I've seen the price double for an item.

seeker
09-01-09, 09:50 PM
Doesn't bother me...I never buy from them.

bob saget
09-02-09, 01:07 AM
Technically they're not doing anything wrong...but that doesn't mean I like it. A strategy like that won't work with most users, since most will check prices at other sites before purchasing anyways...sorta shady imo though.

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus i dont think it will change any image of the company because i get the feeling they are running away with the show, i mean dominating the computer hardware market.

bacon12
09-02-09, 02:51 PM
Yes the price does go up and down maybe 5, 10 or 20 dollars, but this is definitely the first time that I've seen the price double for an item.

This never see a price jack like this before, these drives sold out within an hour I think. I don't see these doing that with these prices.

TheBigOne
09-02-09, 03:21 PM
I notice they started getting really bad in the pass year or so, I stop buying from them, most of their prices are higher then retail now.

TheBigOne
09-02-09, 03:27 PM
Technically they're not doing anything wrong...but that doesn't mean I like it. A strategy like that won't work with most users, since most will check prices at other sites before purchasing anyways...sorta shady imo though.

Newegg should probably lay off that practice, it just takes a few bad stories like this to destroy public approval of their company...which will cost them customers and money down the road.Little too late, already has, I know alot of people including myseft that use to buy from them, but now refuses to buy anything from them anymore. Their prices are the same or higher then retail.

I think the prices so inflated on those SSD's. "Drop the price already, the technology been out for years already" That why the economy in the crapper, because of greed, when will people ever learn "Drop the price so more people will buy into the technology" you want to target the mainstream market also, not just the enthusiast market which is only 2% - 5% percent at best.

Bman212121
09-02-09, 04:52 PM
I notice they started getting really bad in the pass year or so, I stop buying from them, most of their prices are higher the retail now.

Unfortunately I can't say the same. They still seem to be cheaper than most other places I can get items, but I haven't been too happy about all of their return policy changes over the past year.

I've still had pretty good service from them overall, but I just don't like some of the stuff they are starting to pull.