PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 2 Delayed on PC Solely for Piracy Concerns?

Pages : [1] 2 3

NarcissistZero
09-01-09, 09:04 PM
Not 100% sure on this, as this New 4 Gamers article is all I could find and it sources a foreign interview... could be only delayed in Europe, could be not delayed at all, could be a mistranslation and they are speaking of the original or something.

Here is the link: http://www.n4g.com/News-380701.aspx

If this is true, and it is more than like a week or so, I will be very, very annoyed.

mailman2
09-01-09, 09:58 PM
ugh, wtf. Delaying it won't help PC piracy issues. I know more people with flashed 360's than pirate PC games. Ridiculous.

Sazar
09-01-09, 10:21 PM
It's going to be pirated no matter what they do.

|MaguS|
09-01-09, 10:32 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1307/stopsippinhaterade.gif

This is nothing new as of late...

Chesskid1
09-01-09, 10:38 PM
these days i'm happy if games come out on the PC period, let alone if they are a week late or they are $10 more. companies don't really design exclusively for PC anymore, and most of the time don't even have a port.

NarcissistZero
09-01-09, 11:24 PM
these days i'm happy if games come out on the PC period, let alone if they are a week late or they are $10 more. companies don't really design exclusively for PC anymore, and most of the time don't even have a port.

Pretty much every AAA title that is not funded by Sony or Microsoft comes out on PC, especially in typical PC genres like FPS, RPG and adventure.

I don't mind a week or so delay, but delaying the PC version to next year or something would just be absurd, especially for this reason.

shilk
09-02-09, 12:21 AM
I think the delay is because they want to stick that new Anti-Piracy thing on their new baby as well. It's been pretty quiet after that inital bit of news, so I'm more than willing to bet they're trying to make it more difficult by testing the waters with this title.

NarcissistZero
09-02-09, 12:24 AM
I think the delay is because they want to stick that new Anti-Piracy thing on their new baby as well. It's been pretty quiet after that inital bit of news, so I'm more than willing to bet they're trying to make it more difficult by testing the waters with this title.

Well, they have until November... how complicated could it really be?

I think we just need to give in and do the C&C4 online all the time thing. It will allow for better communities, better patching, and better DLC/Mod content. It will also just completely eliminate piracy if done right, which will create a lot more interest in the PC platform.

I'm sure some dedicated people will raise a storm over it on forums like they did SecuROM, but at the end of the day 10 million people do it for WoW, so why not other games? And at some point, like a year after first sale, they could release the exes for offline play.

AngelGraves13
09-02-09, 03:44 AM
It's going to be pirated no matter what they do.

Unless they release it only on STEAM and Direct2Drive. No retail = no piracy.

LordJuanlo
09-02-09, 03:44 AM
360 version is the easiest to pirate and it won't be delayed

nutcrackr
09-02-09, 04:43 AM
Ass Creed 1 was pirated 1 month before release, that is pathetic.

I can't say I'd be surprised if it was delayed, but it is a little annoying (unless it's a few weeks then who cares)

sahilmalhotra17
09-02-09, 05:38 AM

i agree .. I bought sf4 on steam and installed a pirated version which i authenticated with a genuine key... steam is perhaps one of the best things to happen to pc gaming. Doesnt put me through pain like securom or DRM and still allows me the satisfaction of a genuine game. I like steam , period.

Crow_Nest
09-02-09, 06:47 AM
They can delay it for the next 1000 years and the pirates will still find a way to pirate it... Whats the point?

Lfctony
09-02-09, 07:16 AM

You are mis-informed...

BioHazZarD
09-02-09, 07:28 AM
All Jade Raymonds fault :(

rudedog
09-02-09, 07:47 AM
PC piracy is the scape goat and "corporate, thing to say to your customers".

It's really amusing that you only read about people getting arrested for selling pirated console games and mod chips.

How come we never read/hear about someone getting arrested for PC game piracy?

|MaguS|
09-02-09, 08:21 AM
How come we never read/hear about someone getting arrested for PC game piracy?

Yeah I don't ever remember reading about key members of certain cracking groups getting arrested finally. :rolleyes:

Piracy happens on all platforms (except for the PS3) but its still the most rampant on the PC. PC titles sell for less(usually way below MSRP) so they generate less revenue, which means that a developer/publisher/Shops sees less profit from them making them an easy target.

Yes the X360 has piracy and that is easy for someone in the know and technically savy but most console gamers are not as tech savy as you would expect. And it still is not nearly as easy as PC Piracy, which requires no work on the users side other then downloading the file and replacing another file after the installation... instructions are provided with every download... yeah... so hard.

EDIT: Think this thread needs to be closed... thread is already degrading to piracy complaints and BS arguements.

K007
09-02-09, 08:55 AM
Yeah I don't ever remember reading about key members of certain cracking groups getting arrested finally. :rolleyes:

Piracy happens on all platforms (except for the PS3) but its still the most rampant on the PC. PC titles sell for less(usually way below MSRP) so they generate less revenue, which means that a developer/publisher/Shops sees less profit from them making them an easy target.

Yes the X360 has piracy and that is easy for someone in the know and technically savy but most console gamers are not as tech savy as you would expect. And it still is not nearly as easy as PC Piracy, which requires no work on the users side other then downloading the file and replacing another file after the installation... instructions are provided with every download... yeah... so hard.

EDIT: Think this thread needs to be closed... thread is already degrading to piracy complaints and BS arguements.

true they are not, but it doesn't take a genius to find a friend who has got it done by someone else who will do it for $. i am only saying this because i got bunch of guys with xbox360 and they all have there ones modded and pretty much got it done by the same guy, by same i mean someone else not from work but sells his services. and after that he pays $5-10AUD for a game.

i dont think the thread needs to be locked tbh, if ac2 is getting delayed on pc because of they want to get there new anti piracy thing out..then its just silly because its going to get cracked anyway.

if you want to have your game not pirated, make a solid good game and sell it at a reasonable/affordable price ( certain retailers mark up there products just because they can)

i gotta say tho, when i first heard how easy it was for people to get there xbox modded and then still have multiplayer access..i was really shocked...atleast on pc you need a valid key to play online games.

and i dont know what your on about the 'finally' part, if u mean tpb then that relates to console piracy as well, you can find a lot of stories in aus tho for console pirate sellers getting busted big time here, but that aside..google it self is a 'piracy' search engine.

rudedog
09-02-09, 09:11 AM

The point is, devs and pubs will spend money on console piracy but do nothing about PC piracy. I work closely with several top publishes and to be honest, they could care less when I send them links to sites that are offering their "PC games" for free and out in the open.

You want to know the funny part, I get these links from my google alerts I've setup to monitor PC game related news. Hell I can go back 6 months and still find the same guys giving this **** away. You can say what you want about what platform makes more money, until they actually do something about the pirates themselves stop blaming bad sales on piracy

I will bet that their half assed port, lack of attention to detail, bad support, track record of putting out the same game over and over again has more to do with it then piracy.

Also you bring up the PS3, and it's lack of piracy. I wonder if that has anything to do with it's great sales numbers? - which I think is the better of all consoles.

mailman2
09-02-09, 09:28 AM
+1, everyone has that friend. Not everyone needs to know how to mod a 360, just one person and he flashes 360s for the 22 people you work with that have them. Or so I've heard ;)

Once your 360 is modded you are set though, its so much easier than pirating PC games which require a crack for that particular game and cracks for the subsequent patches.

But yea, its the PC piracy that is outta control - I'd say avoiding a shoddy port is more likely the reason for the delay...

http://www.midlifesatrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/rolling-eyes.gif

agentkay
09-02-09, 10:30 AM
Totally agree with you mailman2, piracy on the 360 is freakin easy, takes 5 minutes to "mod" the console and if people arent totally dumb and know how to stealth patch they can fully use pirated copies for SP/MP without any limitation whatsoever! PC piracy for instance is rarely successful on the MP parts except when people can be arsed to setup cracked servers and play through hamachi or its simply not possible at all.

I think this "because of PC piracy" talk is very often just a BS scapegoat from certain devs/publishers who simply can't be arsed to do the job right. PC games/ports can sell well and be very profitable if they are done right and well supported.

mailman2
09-02-09, 10:35 AM
Totally agree with you mailman2, piracy on the 360 is freakin easy, takes 5 minutes to "mod" the console and if people arent totally dumb and know how to stealth patch they can fully use pirated copies for SP/MP without any limitation whatsoever! PC piracy for instance is rarely successful on the MP parts except when people can be arsed to setup cracked servers and play through hamachi or its simply not possible at all.

I think this "because of PC piracy" talk is very often just a BS scapegoat from certain devs/publishers who simply can't be arsed to do the job right. PC games/ports can sell well and be very profitable if they are done right and well supported.

Its nice to know someone sees where I'm coming from about the 360 piracy vs PC.

I realize its easy to bang out a console game and charge $60 each. There is no system compatibility issues to worry about, no driver issues, all the same hardware. I get it. Its purely greed that drives the devs to push console games. I just wish they'd be honest about it and stop the bull**** with the PC has too much Piracy. Just man up tell the truth already.

agentkay
09-02-09, 10:54 AM
And also its a lot easier to make medicore "copy n paste games" especially certain Ubisoft games (hint ;) ) or downright horrible disasters like NFS ProStreet/Undercover all that still sells millions of copies. No wonder they get greedy, they make millions of $$ with garbage, utter crap! And don't forget all the DLC crap, certain people actually pay for "mappacks" or "horse armor". :lol:

Yes we have the financial crisis and profits are much lower than usual so maybe some of their "advanced business strategies" are necessary but I would highly appreaciate a bit less greed and more honesty/modesty. I would have more respect for "them" for sure and I think we have also seen in this particular industry that "happy customers" will more likely be loyal and paying customers, instead of being treated automatically as "criminals".

Nitz Walsh
09-02-09, 11:36 AM
360 version is the easiest to pirate
Laughable. The effort and risk required to mod a 360 to accept pirated copies is monumental as compared to just downloading a torrent and applying the crack on the PC. The # of 360 games being seeded as compared to PC gamers easily verifies this, if the sales alone don't.

This crap always comes up in piracy threads, and it's always bunk. Sure, you may know some guy who has his 360 modded, but the vast majority aren't. The ability to rent games on the consoles further reduces the need to pirate, PC gamers unfortunately don't have that option.

Nitz Walsh
09-02-09, 11:38 AM
Totally agree with you mailman2, piracy on the 360 is freakin easy, takes 5 minutes to "mod" the console
I've seen almost all the walkthroughs for 360 modding, and even if you had the tools just opening up the damn thing will take more than 10 minutes. If there's a new software or USB-only method of modding the 360 then this is the first I've heard of it.