PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction Guerilla Preview: Best on PC

Pages : [1] 2

NarcissistZero
09-01-09, 09:21 PM
Kotaku, the best of the inane gaming blogs when it comes to PC coverage (which is sad) released a preview of Red Faction 3 on PC today, located here: http://kotaku.com/5349813/red-faction-guerrilla-pc-preview-pc-gamers-get-best-version-if-their-rigs-can-handle-it

The most interesting part is that it includes all the console DLC and also is supposedly a better port, with this comparison made to Saint's Row 2 (which was terrible):

It Looks Good and Plays Well: Producer Sean Kennedy says that developer Volition learned its lesson with the flaws in Saints Row 2 on PC. He says you've got to deliver a top-notch experience to them just as much as you need to for console owners – if not more so because PC gamers have to wait longer for the game to come to them. After observing the fabulous-looking graphics and feeling just how well the game plays on PC (and it does), I'd say they nailed it.

Who knew releasing a game on PC meant putting as much effort into it as on console? Glad we learned something.

Red Faction 3 comes out Sept. 15th for $40 and is currently a preorder on Steam along with Red Faction and Red Faction 2 for free.

ATi
09-01-09, 09:31 PM
Looking good

Mr. Hunt
09-02-09, 12:04 AM
Holy crap, Red Faction 3 is coming out? I didn't know that. I just played Guerrilla a few months ago and that game was pretty much garbage... hopefully this one doesn't suck.

ATi
09-02-09, 12:11 AM
Holy crap, Red Faction 3 is coming out? I didn't know that. I just played Guerrilla a few months ago and that game was pretty much garbage... hopefully this one doesn't suck.

on ps3:lol:

NarcissistZero
09-02-09, 12:18 AM

What planet are you on? The demo was awesome, sold me on the game in like 3 minutes. I wish pc-only people on here could play it.

crainger
09-02-09, 12:31 AM
It's fun that's for sure. I held out for the PC version.

Mr. Hunt
09-02-09, 12:56 AM
What planet are you on? The demo was awesome, sold me on the game in like 3 minutes. I wish pc-only people on here could play it.

I enjoyed the demo. Then I went and bought the full game. The MP portion is sort of neat, but the SP is garbage.

nutcrackr
09-02-09, 03:32 AM
I'm glad I preordered :P

LordJuanlo
09-02-09, 03:38 AM
Got it preordered on Steam too, can't wait!

Ywap
09-02-09, 09:42 AM
Preordered here also!

Who doesn´t love blowing things up :D

Retrolock
09-02-09, 11:24 AM
I cant preorder at steam because of region restrictions but curiously, I can preorder at Impulse, complete with rf1 and rf2...

nekrosoft13
09-02-09, 12:26 PM
still trying to decide if I should buy retail or steam

ATi
09-02-09, 02:17 PM
still trying to decide if I should buy retail or steam

I'm getting it retail I never bought a windows LIVE game on steam:dance:

NarcissistZero
09-02-09, 02:29 PM
I'm getting it retail I never bought a windows LIVE game on steam:dance:

I've been in a retail mood lately myself, mostly because a friend got his Steam account disabled for accepting a gift from someone who bought a game when the price was wrong, which is BULL, but... I can say GFWL games work fine with Steam.

ATi
09-02-09, 02:43 PM
I've been in a retail mood lately myself, mostly because a friend got his Steam account disabled for accepting a gift from someone who bought a game when the price was wrong, which is BULL, but... I can say GFWL games work fine with Steam.wow wtf that was not his fault thats steam's **** up:thumbdwn:

Retrolock
09-05-09, 04:24 AM
Finally! It's available on Steam for prepurchase in our region.

|MaguS|
09-14-09, 04:38 PM
http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=68412661&extid=Sept1109&AID=2202770&PID=3147237

$29.90

MaXThReAT
09-15-09, 09:23 AM
This game is fun and good. Physics are out of control and graphics are very good. :headbang:

mailman2
09-15-09, 09:52 AM
When you tire of the massive FPS drops due to DX10. Make a shortcut and add -dx9 to it, runs alot better. Drops into the 20s are now 40's at their lowest. After you take a building down and there is alot of smoke and physics there were some huge FPS drops in DX10 in spots.

DX10 ruins yet another game.

NarcissistZero
09-15-09, 02:48 PM
When you tire of the massive FPS drops due to DX10. Make a shortcut and add -dx9 to it, runs alot better. Drops into the 20s are now 40's at their lowest. After you take a building down and there is alot of smoke and physics there were some huge FPS drops in DX10 in spots.

DX10 ruins yet another game.

DX10 is just light rays though, right? I can live without that crap.

mailman2
09-15-09, 03:10 PM
DX10 is just light rays though, right? I can live without that crap.

There are light rays in DX 9 though. Maybe they are "higher end" light rays. Whatever it is it's not worth the performance hit.

“Red Faction: Guerrilla’s PC debut will expose even more gamers to the Red Faction universe and further enhance the game-play experience by maximizing the PC’s capabilities,” said Rick White, producer, Volition, Inc. “The PC version features higher graphical quality through the support of Direct X10, as well as smooth, customizable controls, resulting in a visually impressive, high performance product.”

I love how they assume DX10 is going provide 'higher quality'. I'd take the extra 20 FPS then some fancy smoke effect any day.

EDIT: I guess it's Ambient Occlusion. Which in most cases just drops performance.

newparad1gm
09-15-09, 03:28 PM
There are light rays in DX 9 though. Maybe they are "higher end" light rays. Whatever it is it's not worth the performance hit.

“Red Faction: Guerrilla’s PC debut will expose even more gamers to the Red Faction universe and further enhance the game-play experience by maximizing the PC’s capabilities,” said Rick White, producer, Volition, Inc. “The PC version features higher graphical quality through the support of Direct X10, as well as smooth, customizable controls, resulting in a visually impressive, high performance product.”

I love how they assume DX10 is going provide 'higher quality'. I'd take the extra 20 FPS then some fancy smoke effect any day.

EDIT: I guess it's Ambient Occlusion. Which in most cases just drops performance.

Would disabling Ambient Occlusion for the Red Faction profile in the Nvidia Control Panel allow DX10 to have the same performance as DX9? (really no point in running DX10 then if thats the only graphical difference, but just wondering)

mailman2
09-15-09, 03:33 PM
Would disabling Ambient Occlusion for the Red Faction profile in the Nvidia Control Panel allow DX10 to have the same performance as DX9? (really no point in running DX10 then if thats the only graphical difference, but just wondering)

just create a shortcut and add -dx9 to the start in field. Voila.

MaXThReAT
09-15-09, 04:43 PM
You guys must be joking. I play this at 2048x1536 8xAA and 16AF. Yeah sometimes I hit the 20s but at 2048x1536 2xAA and 16af it's like a buttery 60fps and I know most people can't even run that high of resolution. Cars do have a strange acceleration deceleration feel but it's not the fps.

mailman2
09-15-09, 05:11 PM
You guys must be joking. I play this at 2048x1536 8xAA and 16AF. Yeah sometimes I hit the 20s but at 2048x1536 2xAA and 16af it's like a buttery 60fps and I know most people can't even run that high of resolution. Cars do have a strange acceleration deceleration feel but it's not the fps.

After you take down a huge building and there is smoke and pieces still failling the framerate tanks into the 20s in dx10 running 1680x1050, 4xaa, 8af. You're on crack if you are telling us it never drops under 60 @ 2048x1536 2xAA and 16af with one GTX 280. Nice try.

I've got a 4Ghz Q9550, 8GB ram, GTX 280 overclocked (738 core, 1260mem, 1566 shader) and Raid 0 WD 640GB HDs running Windows 7 x64.