PDA

View Full Version : SATA To IDE Adapter/Converter

seeker
09-02-09, 11:59 AM
My motherboard lacks sufficient SATA ports for the number of SATA drives that I have, thus needing a way to connect a SATA to the IDE connector instead. I did find a couple of brand/types such as this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=opera&rls=en&q=sata+ide+adapter&sourceid=opera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1054554910712509756&ei=1KGeSq-zPI3ANtnA_JQC&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=7#ps-sellers

But they only speak of using them on HDs, and what I want to use it on is a SATA DVD burner. Without just speculating, can anyone tell me if it will work properly?

CaptNKILL
09-02-09, 12:13 PM
Get a PCI or PCI-E SATA card. Using an IDE to SATA adapter is just a hack and I'm sure the reliability and performance of your drives will suffer.

I remember when SATA was just coming out and some motherboards shipped with SATA to IDE adapters (plug them into your IDE drive and then connect it to the board with SATA) and they seemed crappy to me. There shouldn't be anything acting as a half way point between your drive and the drive controller on your board.

bob saget
09-02-09, 12:26 PM
I got an old IDE dvd drive/cd burner i wouldnt mind selling to you for real cheap.

seeker
09-02-09, 02:21 PM
Get a PCI or PCI-E SATA card. Using an IDE to SATA adapter is just a hack and I'm sure the reliability and performance of your drives will suffer.

I remember when SATA was just coming out and some motherboards shipped with SATA to IDE adapters (plug them into your IDE drive and then connect it to the board with SATA) and they seemed crappy to me. There shouldn't be anything acting as a half way point between your drive and the drive controller on your board.
You may well be correct, but I do have a PCI card with a couple of SATA slots, that I did use for this purpose, but after a couple of drives going south while connected to it, I stopped using it. It may have had nothing to do with the card, and the drives themselves may have been at fault, but I'm not sure.

As far as not wanting anything to be a half way point, I can appreciate that, but even a controller card is sort of a half way point. I wish that it were possible to simply use a plain adapter, like one might use on molex power cable to add a SATA connector, but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.

seeker
09-02-09, 02:24 PM
I got an old IDE dvd drive/cd burner i wouldnt mind selling to you for real cheap.
Actually, I have another IDE drive that I could use already, but the SATA drive is better. If I were going to buy another drive, I would get one with a Blu-Ray reader function, but most of them that I have found were SATA also.

CaptNKILL
09-02-09, 02:51 PM
Just get a SATA controller card.