PDA

View Full Version : Installing Volcano 11

Iron1384
06-23-03, 11:01 PM
I'm in the middle of building a new computer. I'm trying to attach my Volcano 11 to my Asus A7N8X deluxe motherboard, and i'm having a hell of a time getting the clips on. I haven't been able to get the first side attached, and the capacitors crowding the socket don't help any. Anybody have any suggestions on how to clip this thing on?

The Baron
06-23-03, 11:18 PM
Screwdriver of Doom which only I have...

Check the Thermaltake site, it might require capacitors to be bent on the A7N8X Deluxe.

Iron1384
06-23-03, 11:30 PM
I haven't seen anything about that, but do you think it would be better to place the heatsink down flat, then try to push the pins on, or to put it on at an angle, hooking the clip on.........

It's getting late, and i've never installed an AMD heatsink before, which is pretty obvious, but those capacitors are too close...

b00bie
06-23-03, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Screwdriver of Doom which only I have...

Check the Thermaltake site, it might require capacitors to be bent on the A7N8X Deluxe.

The Volcano 11 looks like a pretty wide heatsink. If it's anything like the SLK-900U then yes, you might have to bend some capacitors. Which to me is a bit risky...
I know that the caps on the A7N8X Deluxe are a little close.

Baron, I just remember that it was the A7N8X Deluxe that had the prob of close caps and not the NF-7 2.0 :D ;)

firestartar
06-24-03, 01:07 AM
Volcano 11 and asus a7n8x deluxe (1.04 & 2.0)? Nothing needs any bending....just be firm with a screw driver...and be carefull not to apply too much pressure. if you are trying to install the volcano11 onto the mobo with the mobo installed, then maybe remove your power supply. For me, its much easier to remove psu to get at the clip nicely...

Sazar
06-24-03, 01:26 AM
screw driver should do it... :)

zalman encloses a little screwdriver like device that is curved a bit in order to help push the clip down and secure it...

it worked like a charm for me...

Iron1384
06-24-03, 10:20 AM
I finally got it on. I was trying to get the clips on with a screwdriver, and it snapped on almost by itself. I still can't believe Asus left less than a centimeter between the socket and a row of capacitors.:rolleyes:

Shaitan
06-25-03, 07:28 AM
this is exactly why I opted out for the Cooler Master HHC-001. It has a thumb clip. Took about a second to install it. My buddy had the same problems with his Thermaltake Vol. 11 Xaser II. Said it took him a half hour of fooling with it, and now he is afraid to take it off. ;0)