PDA

View Full Version : Chipset Fan

seeker
09-04-09, 05:32 PM
I awoke to the sound of this fan making a loud noise, so I need to buy another, but the Asus Parts Store is out of stock, so Iwent eBaying. There are a number of suppliers with these fans, but only a couple in CONUS. I noted in the Asus Parts Store that these fans were redesigned, because the originals had problems. Being that I don't particularly trust venders in general, and even less so for those on eBay, I can imagine that they could be selling off old inventories, instead of the new fans. All of these fans that I have seen look identical, so I don't know if the old and new fans would look the same or not...do they?

bob saget
09-04-09, 05:39 PM
I am not sure what you mean, you need a CPU cooler?

seeker
09-04-09, 05:53 PM
No. A chipset fan is one used for cooling the NB chipset.

bob saget
09-04-09, 06:04 PM
Ohhhh.

Are you overclocking and if so by how much?

seeker
09-04-09, 06:07 PM
No. I never overclock. This fan is essential for normal operation of the MB.

bob saget
09-04-09, 06:12 PM
No. I never overclock. This fan is essential for normal operation of the MB.

It gets that hot? jeez......

seeker
09-04-09, 06:38 PM
Although it has a heatpipe, rather than a fan, the heat of the chipset is the reason that I'm having to replace a A8N32-SLI Deluxe. The MBs are very similar, except for a few different features.

autobot
09-04-09, 09:18 PM
Here ya go. Its inexpensive and reliable.
Enzotech SLF-1.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ensllowprcoc.html

seeker
09-04-09, 09:26 PM
Hmm, not as inexpensive as a fan, but I'm sure it's more reliable. Can one always exchange a heatsink for a fan in all cases, without incurring any problems?

EDIT: I didn't realize until taking a second look, that this is a combination fan and heatsink. The only question in terms of reliability would be the fan itself.

Logical
09-04-09, 10:21 PM
The Asus A8N-SLI had a massive fault with the chipset fan..many chipsets on those boards have overheated and failed because of it. I believe Asus did a revision of that mobo and put in a better fan...

I'm still waiting for my replacement from Asus....that was 5 years ago.

If you go with a 3rd party fan/heatsink be carefull of the depth as most modern gpus only have a clearence of 10mm over the chipset fan/heatsink.

mullet
09-04-09, 10:27 PM
Here ya go. Its inexpensive and reliable.
Enzotech SLF-1.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ensllowprcoc.html

+1

The Asus A8N-SLI had a massive fault with the chipset fan..many chipsets on those boards have overheated and failed because of it. I believe Asus did a revision of that mobo and put in a better fan...

If you go with a 3rd party fan/heatsink be carefull of the depth as most modern gpus only have a clearence of 10mm over the chipset fan/heatsink.

Correct, when I got the Asus A8N a while back I replaced the chipset sink/fan before I booted it up for the first time.

seeker
09-04-09, 10:33 PM

5 years!! I think that you should change your username from Logical to Don Quixote.

seeker
09-04-09, 10:38 PM
Perhaps I'm being a bit persnickity, but the holddown pin holes on that Enzo are at 54.6 & 59mm. The original fan holes are at 54mm. Maybe it will fit by putting some engish on it, but I'm concerned that it might not sit flatly on the chipset.

seeker
09-04-09, 10:52 PM

You are correct, the fit under the video card is pretty snug...do you know for a fact that this HSF is thin enough to fit properly?

autobot
09-05-09, 03:20 AM
I'm ordering this heatsink as well since I am replacing the heatpipe on my P5Q Deluxe. I'm adding the northbridge and pwms to the watercooling loop with my cpu. From what I have read, you do need to elongate the holes slightly to fit a standard Asus chipset location. Nothing more that 10 minutes of work with a dremel or small file. :)

Logical
09-05-09, 08:02 AM
You are correct, the fit under the video card is pretty snug...do you know for a fact that this HSF is thin enough to fit properly?

I checked the dimensions and both the original asus chipset hsf and the Enzo both measure 13.5mm.

Herres the original at ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-A8N-E-A8N-SLI-A8N5X-K8N4E-North-Bridge-Chipset-Fan_W0QQitemZ280387539883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComput ing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR?hash=item 41486653ab&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

fasedww
09-05-09, 01:46 PM
just clue the outer edge of it on.:D

seeker
09-05-09, 01:59 PM
I decided that I'm too lazy to want to fiddle with fitting that HSF into place, so I went ahead and bought a couple of Asus fans. This way, at least I'll have a spare.