PDA

View Full Version : micro ATX case maximum PSU ?

Sazar
06-24-03, 01:30 AM
was wondering whats the largest psu one can get for a micro-ATX case ?

most of the prebuilt cases I have seen happen to be 200watts...and I am considering getting a little case for portability purposes... and I want to know what I can scale the PSU up to so I know what I can throw into the case :)

any information provided will be helpful.. cheers...

Gator
06-24-03, 11:21 AM
i did a search on pricewatch, the larget MATX PSU they had listed was 230W :(

if i find anything else i'll post

Sazar
06-24-03, 12:10 PM
well its a SFF case...

just need something likely to power the following...

around 3000+ barton or 3.0c intel... 512mb ddr... s-ata driver... usb hdd... 1 dvd +/- r/rw... AIW video card... likely the 9800pro or perhaps my current 9700pro...

ricercar
06-24-03, 01:00 PM
My experience may answer your question, Sazar. You may also wish to review the most excellent SFF forum at sudhian.com. there are MANY posts regarding 9700/9800 in SFF using the stock 200 W PSU.

There are no genuine SFF PSUs above 200W, although a Shuttle representative on Sudhian.com forums has hinted that a 250 is in the works. Current 200 W models are made by two companies, Achme and by Enhance. The Achme are apparently better (more dependable and provide more current) than the original Enhance models; however, I've seen a few posts indicating that a new Enhance#2 model is available that's significantly quieter than the Enhance#1 or Achme.

A Radeon 9700 Pro or 9700 AIW is powered sufficiently with the Shuttle 200 W PSU, even if you have two WD 120 gig drives and a PCI card.
A Radeon 9800 Pro is NOT powered sufficiently with the Shuttle 200 W PSU if you have two WD 120 G drives. however, most people with one HD report that the 9800 Pro works fine with the SFF PSU.

--

I have a configuration with power draw approximately like the one you discuss: SN41G2 SFF / Barton 3000+ / 1G DDR / 120G HD / Wireless PCI NIC / GeForce FX Ultra 5800 / DVD-CDRW.

A GeForce FX 5800 Ultra cannot be powered above 800x600 resolution with the stock Shuttle 200 W PSU.

I experimented with a 1RU 300W Server PSU in the Shuttle SFF. Heat was a problem, because I had to remove the PSU case to fit it into the SFF chassis. Therefore PSU heat was venting directly into the SFF chamber, creating temperatures well above 60C and apparently frying my HD and graphics card the first day. Luckily both companies RMA'd the failed devices lightning fast.

Currently I use an external 350 W Antec TruePower PSU on the SFF. MBM Temperatures are 39-46C depending on room temp and load. The difference between 300 W and 350 W is tangible in benchmarks (16K -> 17K 3DMark 2001), but not in normal games such as UT2003.

EDIT
http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=46&threadid=31958

Sazar
06-24-03, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ricercar
My experience may answer your question, Sazar. You may also wish to review the most excellent SFF forum at sudhian.com. there are MANY posts regarding 9700/9800 in SFF using the stock 200 W PSU.

There are no genuine SFF PSUs above 200W, although a Shuttle representative on Sudhian.com forums has hinted that a 250 is in the works. Current 200 W models are made by two companies, Achme and by Enhance. The Achme are apparently better (more dependable and provide more current) than the original Enhance models; however, I've seen a few posts indicating that a new Enhance#2 model is available that's significantly quieter than the Enhance#1 or Achme.

A Radeon 9700 Pro or 9700 AIW is powered sufficiently with the Shuttle 200 W PSU, even if you have two WD 120 gig drives and a PCI card.
A Radeon 9800 Pro is NOT powered sufficiently with the Shuttle 200 W PSU if you have two WD 120 G drives. however, most people with one HD report that the 9800 Pro works fine with the SFF PSU.

--

I have a configuration with power draw approximately like the one you discuss: SN41G2 SFF / Barton 3000+ / 1G DDR / 120G HD / Wireless PCI NIC / GeForce FX Ultra 5800 / DVD-CDRW.

A GeForce FX 5800 Ultra cannot be powered above 800x600 resolution with the stock Shuttle 200 W PSU.

I experimented with a 1RU 300W Server PSU in the Shuttle SFF. Heat was a problem, because I had to remove the PSU case to fit it into the SFF chassis. Therefore PSU heat was venting directly into the SFF chamber, creating temperatures well above 60C and apparently frying my HD and graphics card the first day. Luckily both companies RMA'd the failed devices lightning fast.

Currently I use an external 350 W Antec TruePower PSU on the SFF. MBM Temperatures are 39-46C depending on room temp and load. The difference between 300 W and 350 W is tangible in benchmarks (16K -> 17K 3DMark 2001), but not in normal games such as UT2003.

EDIT
http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=46&threadid=31958

I had looked @ sudhian a coupla weeks ago for some info... as well as other sites...

I want to make the SFF case my primary entertainment/gaming system and use my current system as a less portable multimedia center :)

weighing the info @ hand... I think I will hold off till the next gen of SFF cases/psus come out to accomodate my needs :)

thanks ricecar... appreciate the info..