PDA

View Full Version : Side & Bottom Fans

seeker
09-05-09, 09:56 AM
I'm trying to decide whether to add these fans to my new HAF 922 case, but I recall reading an article where a person experimented with various combinations of fan locations in an Antec case, and the fan that made the most difference was the top blow hole, which this case already has, but the best that I remember, the temps taken were case temps, rather than local temps, such as at the CPU.

My CPU is only running 34 degrees at idle now, so the temp is not critical, and I don't intend to overclock, but cooler does extend the CPU's life expectancy.

Since the 200mm fans aren't particularly cheap, I'm just trying to decide whether they are worth the cost? Since heat rises, would the bottom fan really do any good?

crainger
09-06-09, 08:03 AM
If the bottom fan is set to draw in cool air from the bottom it'll do good. Cool air in through the bottom, it cools the components becoming warm and then being exhausted through the top.

seeker
09-06-09, 08:13 AM
Yes, I don't doubt that either fan will do good, but how much? If only a degree or two, I don't know if I want to pay the price.

crainger
09-07-09, 01:07 AM
Well it depends on the equipment in your PC. If most of your gear already has it's own little fan, then the improvement probably wouldn't be worth it. If you have a ton of passively cooled gear like motherboard heatsinks, then it would help.

Judging from your other thread about the chipset fan, your motherboard has it's own fan, so if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. But...

How are your HDDS setup? I'm not too familiar with the HAF, but 4 HDDs would generate a fair bit of heat for the front intake fan. It could be worth it to bring in another intake unaffected byt the heat from your Hard Drives.

seeker
09-07-09, 01:47 AM
No, the HDs are doing great. Actually, all of the temps are okay, but colder is better:

crainger
09-07-09, 03:53 AM
Colder is better, but looking at those temps (which are great BTW), in my opinion it's not worth the time, money and extra noise for more fans.