PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend me an RTS

JaylumX
09-07-09, 12:42 PM
I've never bothered with RTS games in my gaming life but currently i have become curious and fancy a bit of that pie. Anyhoo i need a RTS game to ease me into the genre. Probably something that has an intuitative (sp) user interface, gui and tutorial that is adequate for someone who had intentionally avoided these type of games.

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers

JaylumX

|MaguS|
09-07-09, 12:49 PM
Red Alert 2 or Starcraft. They don't offer a ton of depth but are really easy to get into thanks to great interfaces and balanced gameplay.

RaidenWoW
09-07-09, 12:58 PM
STARCRAFT. Best story line evar.

Bman212121
09-07-09, 01:00 PM
World in Conflict

It contains the very basics of an RTS but doesn't require you to farm for resources or build buildings. The next step up would be Company of Heroes, it's still pretty basic but you have to construct buildings and you sort of have to manage resources. Both of them are a lot of fun and easy to understand because you can look at the unit and already have an idea how to use it.

|MaguS|
09-07-09, 01:07 PM
World in Conflict

It contains the very basics of an RTS but doesn't require you to farm for resources or build buildings. The next step up would be Company of Heroes, it's still pretty basic but you have to construct buildings and you sort of have to manage resources. Both of them are a lot of fun and easy to understand because you can look at the unit and already have an idea how to use it.

Yeah but both those games have some reall high difficulty curves at times, not recommended for someones first RTS in my opinion.

mojoman0
09-07-09, 01:19 PM
Company of Heroes! Rad WW2 game. Really well done and will run fantastically on your puder

nekrosoft13
09-07-09, 01:39 PM
Company of Heroes! Rad WW2 game. Really well done and will run fantastically on your puder

yap, great game

Starscream
09-07-09, 01:55 PM
Total Annihilation.

NarcissistZero
09-07-09, 03:18 PM
I am not big on RTS and only like to throw one in on occassion and have a little fun, so maybe the ones I enjoy would be up your alley.

Basically I only play the Command & Conquer games and Age of Empires. AoE is a little more manage-heavy, but still fun. I really, really loved playing Command & Conquer 3, and it has high production values that look good today, so maybe start there?

Also, it deserved to be mentioned that Dawn of War II is basically an RTS hybrid with other genres, and might make a good intro to the genre... I believe that was its stated goal, actually.

nekrosoft13
09-07-09, 03:20 PM
Dawn of War II is awesome game, it is RTS/RPG hybrid

Gaco
09-07-09, 04:07 PM
If you want the whole package (graphics, sound, voice acting, gameplay, great MP), go for Relic's games, namely Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2. These two, together with C&C: Generals, have been the only games capable of making me play the same game for years. Incidentally only RTS games can do this for me. For this reason the RTS genre has also become one of my favorite.

RTS like Age of Empires, Starcraft, Red Alert etc. doesn't really do it for me. They are simple point and click games. Relic's RTS's introduce things such as directional cover, suppression, squad reinforcement, heavy emphasis on unit abilities etc., that makes it a much more tactical and "direct" experience as opposed to kiting each other around with a couple of unit blobs, clicking around 10 clicks/second. That's just my experience, so you should try these older type RTS games for yourself. Just be sure not to miss the new kind from Relic. Only in the story department does Blizzard's RTS's Warcraft 3 and Starcraft outshine everything else, so it's worth a shot, although they're personally just to old for me after all this time.

For DoW2, make sure play the SP campaign in COOP with a friend, it's a great experience. For MP in both CoH and DoW2 I think 2vs2 with a friend over Skype is the most fun as well. Beware that these two games both have a bit of a learning curve in multiplayer, but it's all worth it.

JaylumX
09-07-09, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the recommendations fellas. Very much appreciated.

Armed_Baboon
09-07-09, 05:55 PM
warcraft II

Glo-duke! sworbo!

Ancient76
09-07-09, 06:18 PM
Medieval II: Total War ;)

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/737/737195/medieval-ii-total-war-20061004102404106.jpg

nekrosoft13
09-07-09, 06:43 PM
Medieval II: Total War ;)

http:// pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/737/737195/medieval-ii-total-war-20061004102404106.jpg

not a good beginners title, if that is going to be his first RTS, he will never play RTS again.

Retrolock
09-07-09, 06:56 PM
Incidentally, Gamersgate has Medieval 2: Total War Gold on sale at $10. All Sega titles are on sale for one week. :D

LurkerLito
09-07-09, 06:57 PM
I just got Sins of a Solar Empire from Stardock (if you order now you get both SoaSE and the first expansion for $20 on impulse). I like it though I don't know how much I will play it cause it takes a lot of time. I played 1 small map and it took me over 3 hours to lose ;).

Greg
09-07-09, 07:06 PM
For a 1st RTS, perhaps 'Command & Conquer 3'. I saw one in the bargain bin the other day for a few $. I'm more partial to 'Supreme Commander' myself.

CaptNKILL
09-07-09, 10:55 PM
Company of Heroes, Command & Conquer: Generals and Age of Empires III are all great games. I recommend AOE III if you're just getting into RTS games though because it isn't particularly difficult. Company of Heroes can be really tough at times.

Other than those, I haven't really got into any recent RTS games.

The one exception would be Defense Grid. Its technically an RTS but it doesn't play like anything else listed in this thread since its a "tower defense" game. Basically, enemies follow a path and you must stop them from getting to their goal by constructing defensive weapons in strategic locations. Defense Grid is easily the most addicting game I've played in years and I highly recommend it if you want to see an alternative look at the RTS genre.

Also, Startopia is one of my favorite strategy type games. Its more of a space station building sim than a war game but it has RTS elements at its heart and its just too awesome to not recommend in a thread about strategy games. Its from 2001 but it still looks good.

MustangSVT
09-07-09, 11:14 PM
I recommend either Command & Conquer 3 or Red Alert 3. I enjoyed both of these titles quite a lot. If you want to try something more advanced that has RPG elements, I would go for a Relic title such as Company of Heroes (or Dawn of War 2). Also World in Conflict is a pretty good RTS IMHO.

If you want to really a big scale RTS that requires advanced tactics, look at Medieval 2 Total War or Empire Total War. Medieval 2 is a fantastic game, but it is quite complex and difficult.

Ancient76
09-08-09, 04:34 AM
not a good beginners title, if that is going to be his first RTS, he will never play RTS again.

Well, this is not RTS :) It's a turn-based strategy with real-time tactics. And it's not too complex.

JaylumX
09-08-09, 04:33 PM
I managed to get hold of the Warcraft 3 demo since the interface seems simple enough - I tried Starcraft for a while but the bug with the odd colours was really irritating and when i discovered that Warcraft 3 had a similar interface the transition to the game was seemless.

I'm on the 4th champaign in the Warcraft 3 demo having just been captured by them fish creatures. Felt a little scuttery in the previous quest. I had to revive the hero once since as i had all my units killed the first time i invaded the human outpost but i can feel myself getting into this game....i mean i have learnt a lot more complicated programs so i am sure if i give this game some time i may get the lingo.

Again thanks for the recommendations.

NarcissistZero
09-08-09, 09:46 PM
I tried Starcraft for a while but the bug with the odd colours was really irritating.

All you need to do is run it in 256 colors.

Starcraft in 1080p looks quite amazing, even today. It's a shame you can't play it online that way.