PDA

View Full Version : nForce2 LAN woes...

PsychoSy
06-24-03, 11:42 AM
Whenever I boot into WinXP, it takes a good 30-40 seconds at the desktop for my net connection and Zone Alarm icons to load and show up in the taskbar. Usually, the damned LAN has the wrong IP address.

Checked my event viewer and noticed some DHCP errors...

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1003
Date: 6/24/2003
Time: 8:24:14 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ***************

Description: Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address ************. The following error occurred: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

I've tried everything from BootVis, degragging, boot defragging, etc. and 9 times out of 10, my network connection to the internet isn't automatically detected and established. I never had this problem before with my ECS K7S5A. Ever since using the unboard nVidia LAN on this Abit NF7-S and resetting the cable modem to bind it to the MAC address, I hardly ever have an established net connect upon booting into WinXP.

In fact, after Zonealarm and my net connection icon appears in the taskbar, it's only a matter of 7-10 seconds before a balloon will pop up saying my ethernet cable is unplugged. A few seconds after that, it'll say "Network connection established"...but usually the wrong IP address.

How can I fix this permanantly?

If this keeps up, I may have to call Charter and have them give me a static IP (something I shouldn't have to do) because this is driving me nuts. :(

silence
06-24-03, 11:56 AM
heh...i thought something is wrong with my comp...i also have to wait 30-60 secs at least for Zone alarm to start if i wanna connect to net.
and LAN on winXP....every now and then i need to run network set up again....

btw.....in last 2 days my comp just stopped workinbg in middle of playing W:enemy teritory....and those warning sounds came from mobo.i switched power off...started everything again...and it works normally....

also...when i look into hardWare Doctor that came with ABIT drivers CD it says that my Voltage on Vbat is little bit to high....i looked and that's for batteries????...WTF??...i dun have batteries here....

any ideas?....everything was smooth like baby till yesterday....and i had of these power downs.....first i thought it's something with power,but it happened again today.....

my setup is :
amd barton 2500+
2x512 ddr333
abit nf7-s
ati radeon 9500pro
ibm deskstar 40gb
enermax PSU 350W

The Baron
06-24-03, 11:56 AM
It's not an NF2 problem. I get the same thing with my wireless card, and the only way I could fix it was:

1. removing any sort of auto-sense speed stuff and setting all of that manually
2. static IP instead of DHCP

Sorry, Chief.

PsychoSy
06-24-03, 12:31 PM
Just called Charter...they only allow Static IPs to businesses, not residential customers. :(

Nvidia better fix this problem with their drivers and fast! :mad:

silence
06-24-03, 12:54 PM
any ideas about my problem?....i posted in this thread cause PsychoSy owns same mobo....

R.Carter
06-24-03, 03:56 PM
Sounds like your LAN drivers are too slow to establish a usable network connection after booting for some reason.

Hopefully Nvidia will be able fix this problem.

As was suggested, sometimes this is due to network speed detection 10Mbps / 100Mbps / 1000Mbps. If so, simply forcing the speed should reduce the time and might fix the problem.

PsychoSy
06-24-03, 07:03 PM
I might have speeded it up but it took a long ass time to get a damn IP address from Charter. At one point, I botched it so bad that I had to remove the LAN from device manager and redetect. Upon that, it the said the network cable was unplugged. I unplugged and replugged it back in and WinXP still said it was unplugged. Had power cycle the cable modem and let it resync, then I keyed in a bunch of configuration info manually (subnet masks, net address, DNS servers, etc.) except for IP which I have to get from DHCP. Also configred the LAN port to use Autonegotiate 100FD instead of a full blown auto negotiate.

Seems to shaved 10 seconds but I still sit here starting at my desktop for a good 20 second more. This is definately a Nvidia driver problem and needs to be addressed ASAP. It's downright annoying. If it keeps up, might have to hook up my cable modem to the dreaded USB ports. :(

Silence, your problem is probably easy to fix - go into your BIOS and change these settings to the following.

"CPU Shutdown Temperature" (70 to 80 degrees C)
"CPU Warning Tempersture" (70 to 80 degrees C)
"Shutdown When CPU Fail" (Disabled)

That should get rid of the "ambulance". ;)

Nephilim
06-24-03, 07:08 PM
Have you tried resetting the TCP/IP stack?

I have had this problem before, often right after a fresh install of XP. Resetting the TCP/IP stack helped.

Check out how to do it here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357), it's a simple console command, reboot, and it should fix it.