PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Forces Valve to Price Left 4 Dead DLC on RROD_Box

nekrosoft13
09-08-09, 08:10 PM
Valve's Chet Faliszek has told Eurogamer that upcoming downloadable Left 4 Dead 1 expansion Crash Course costs money on Xbox Live because Microsoft insisted upon it.

The Washington-based developer traditionally refuses to charge for DLC - as Robin Walker put it when we asked in May 2007, "You buy the product, you get the content" - and this explains why it's free on PC.

"We own our platform, Steam. Microsoft owns their platform. They wanted to make sure there's an economy of value there," Faliszek told Eurogamer today when asked about the 560 Microsoft Points (4.76 / 6.72) price tag for Crash Course.

When pressed about whether Microsoft effectively enforced the pricing, Faliszek added: "Well, they helped us get the first one out for free. We had the one DLC out for free. And I think... they have to look and say, wow, we're kind of being unfair to everybody else if these guys can do that.

"It's not like we're [Valve is] looking at this as, 'Oh my god, we need some money, we're going to charge,' obviously, or we'd do it on the PC. So it's just kind of the way the system works right now."

Crash Course is an upcoming campaign for Left 4 Dead 1 that's been designed not exclusively but predominantly for Versus mode, which should allow fans of the competitive survivors-versus-infected mode to play through a game in 30 minutes rather than the two hours it sometimes takes with No Mercy, Dead Air, Death Toll and Blood Harvest, the original campaigns.

Faliszek also confirmed that it's still down for release in September, and said that no decision had been made about compatibility between it and Left 4 Dead 2 yet. Because Crash Course is specific to the L4D1 development base, whether or not it works with L4D2 is indivisible from the issue of whether the whole original game works with L4D2. If the first game is ever made to speak to the second, then so will Crash Course. Otherwise no.

Look out for our review of Crash Course as soon as it's out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/l4d1-dlc-pricing-not-valves-decision

Noriega
09-08-09, 08:24 PM
Now THIS IS SICK! THIS IS WHERE CONSOLES ARE GOING INTO!

Sazar
09-08-09, 08:52 PM
Now THIS IS SICK! THIS IS WHERE CONSOLES ARE GOING INTO!

This is where consoles always were :)

It's all about controlling... demand, prices, trends, what have you.

ViN86
09-08-09, 10:42 PM
To be honest, gaming on PC and consoles are quickly approaching the same cost.

On PC, you pay extra for hardware and get free DLC. On consoles you pay little for the hardware and have to pay for DLC :lol:

nekrosoft13
09-08-09, 10:44 PM
not to mention the higher game prices on consoles.

Mr. Hunt
09-08-09, 11:03 PM
not to mention the higher game prices on consoles.

If Modern Warfare 2 succeeds at its 60 dollar price on PC (which it will), you can kiss the PC vs Console price difference goodbye IMHO.

But yeah, this sucks. I don't even care about L4D at all and I own it on PC, but it is just sad to me that they FORCED them to put a price on it.

NarcissistZero
09-09-09, 12:01 AM
If Modern Warfare 2 succeeds at its 60 dollar price on PC (which it will), you can kiss the PC vs Console price difference goodbye IMHO.

Yup.

And it will succeed.

On topic, am I supposed to be shocked? Didn't we know all this already? Unfortunately, most Xbox gamers have already shown they don't care and they will pay.

Kaguya
09-09-09, 03:14 AM

But yeah, this sucks. I don't even care about L4D at all and I own it on PC, but it is just sad to me that they FORCED them to put a price on it.

Although this could just as easily begin the introduction of $70.00 games on consoles.

NarcissistZero
09-09-09, 03:39 AM
Although this could just as easily begin the introduction of $70.00 games on consoles.

I bet if they charged $70 for Modern Warfare 2 they would lose less than 10% of their sales on Xbox.

Honestly Modern Warfare 2 is probably worth that, especially to multiplayer gamers. The problem with pricing in this industry is that it is mostly standard for all games, when there are obviously games worth more or less at release than others. I would probably pay $100 for Fallout 4, honestly, but I would never pay more than $40-50 for something like FEAR 2 or Assassin's Creed, and no more than $20 for some 4 hour movie game. I had that new colonial times city builder from Ubisoft in my hand today, but when I checked the price and saw it was $50 I put it right back... $50 for a city builder in 2009? Really? $30 they would of had a sale.

Modern Warfare would sell at $70, but the problem would be other publishers would take that as a sign to up all the games to that amount, even if Modern Warfare being worth that in no way proves all games are worth that. We need varied pricing.

Noriega
09-09-09, 06:07 AM
60$? What, This game cost 119PLN (which is big for PC game) but it's 41$ and I bet other shops will have better prices at the release date. For Xbox 360 it costs 199PLN ( typical xbox game price here) which is 70$.

crainger
09-09-09, 06:52 AM
CoDMW2 for PC is 100AUD roughly 87USD. ::(:

360 and PS3 is 120 around 104USD.

Toss3
09-09-09, 07:46 AM
CoDMW2 for PC is 100AUD roughly 87USD. ::(:

360 and PS3 is 120 around 104USD.

It's just 45 here :)

six_storm
09-09-09, 07:55 AM
Wow, that's horrible IMO. I've never paid for any expansion material when I had my 360 . . . good thing I've just got my PC right now.

My buddy was asking me yesterday why the DLC for TF2 (X360) hasn't come out yet. ;)