PDA

View Full Version : GF4 Overheated?

CWB
06-24-03, 12:42 PM
I oced my Asus GF4 TI4600 to 325/725, a setting thats never caused any problems; I originally ran 3DMark2001SE, no artifacts or lockups, then Artifact Detector. Have played several games at those clock speeds. Today I was playing Rune at 1600x1200, all in-game options maxed, with 4xS AA, 8x AF, & Texture Sharpening. Looked great, no artifacts or lockups, but when I exited, Asus SmartDoctor for the first time ever reported "Your graphics card is overheated". Core temp at that moment was 75 degrees C.

In the past, when Ive oced a card too high, I always got lockups; this time, there were no visible signs of any problem. So my question is: if the GPU really overheated, would it have locked up and/or displayed artifacts? If it was just a case of running the GPU too hot but not hot enough to lock/crash, have I done any damage to the card? Thanks in advance.

ricercar
06-24-03, 01:16 PM
75C is pretty high, but NVIDIA datasheets rate the GPUs to 150C without damage. Even the GeForce FX 5800 doesn't shut down until 140C, so you don't likely have any permanent damage.

EDIT
Correction: NV17 (GF4-MX) absolute max temp is 115C, but if you're just reading 75C your card is still OK.

Morrow
06-24-03, 01:53 PM
yeah, it's unlikely that your GeForce took any damage due to the overheating.

Any GPU or even CPU will normally not die from overheating because it will lock up before the heat can kill it... unless of course your heatsink falls down and the chip is instantly fried.

I had a broken Fan on my GF4 Ti 4600 for about 3 weeks before I noticed it. I played many games during that time without any problem just CS stalled sometimes for about a minute before the game would run again. Changed the fan after that and the GF4 survived the 3 week overheating without any problem...

What I just don't understand is why you can run SmartDoctor while the program says on my PC that it can't find any sensorchip?? I also own a ASUS GF4 Ti4600 V8460 Ultra. Do you own another version?

CWB
06-24-03, 01:53 PM
Thanks! I feel much better now... ;)

mark949
06-24-03, 05:02 PM
how do you check your temp status on your gpu do i need a utility
D/L

CWB
06-25-03, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by mark949
how do you check your temp status on your gpu do i need a utility
D/L

Every Asus GF Ive owned has come with SmartDoctor, which monitors both GPU & RAM temperatures. I think some other manufacturers have also included monitoring abilities? What card do you have?

mark949
06-25-03, 02:46 PM
geforce 5600 256 prolink golden limited

CWB
06-26-03, 01:30 AM
Sorry, shouldve read your sig.

Looked around and didnt see any mention of hardware monitoring on that card. But from the look of that cooler, you shouldnt need to worry about it. ;)

Looks like a nice card; a 256 MB 5600 with a quiet cooler, faster-than-reference memory, and large software bundle.