PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Use Of Fallout License

Lfctony
09-11-09, 10:17 PM
http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25226

Bethesda filed a complaint -- obtained by Gamasutra -- in the U.S. District Court of Maryland on September 9 requesting a preliminary and permanent injunction against Interplay's manufacture, sale, and distribution of Fallout Trilogy, which includes the classic PC games Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

Bethesda accused Interplay of trademark infringement, claiming that while Interplay was permitted to sell pre-existing Fallout games, it was required to submit to Bethesda all relevant packaging, advertising, and promotional material prior to bringing the catalog titles to market.

Arrogant little bastards, aren't they?

If Bethesda prevails, Interplay would lose the rights to develop the Fallout MMO. There is little to show for the progress of the Fallout MMO in public venues, although many speculate that a mysterious title called Project V13 is in fact the Fallout MMO.

Right now, I feel sorry I paid them money for Fallout 3...

Yaboze
09-11-09, 10:22 PM
Bethesda should concentrate on making Fallout 3 not crash.

NarcissistZero
09-11-09, 10:28 PM
They just want to stop Interplay from messing with what they have built the Fallout name into. I am sure they view it as they built the name into something much more than it ever was, and if Interplay ever somehow manages to release an MMO that sucks, it will tarnish what they are doing.

nekrosoft13
09-11-09, 10:32 PM
bastards

methimpikehoses
09-11-09, 10:36 PM
Bethesda paid good money for the trademark, seems like they have a legit gripe to me.

Lfctony
09-11-09, 10:59 PM
Well, if they feared Interplay would make a mess of things (I don't see that happening, both Fallout games (the actual RPGS) were pretty great), they shouldn't have let them have any rights on the Fallout name for future development. Right now, I think they are using a technicality to get out of an agreement. (Just like an insurance company will find a crappy clause in a contract and not pay you for an accident you had...)

NarcissistZero
09-11-09, 11:25 PM
Well, if they feared Interplay would make a mess of things (I don't see that happening, both Fallout games (the actual RPGS) were pretty great), they shouldn't have let them have any rights on the Fallout name for future development. Right now, I think they are using a technicality to get out of an agreement. (Just like an insurance company will find a crappy clause in a contract and not pay you for an accident you had...)

Well, I think they were only able to buy the name because they let Interplay keep the MMO rights, since Interplay had plans for an MMO already.

I'm sure if they could have bought them outright, they would have.

From what I understand, Interplay is indeed way past deadline on their required progress on the MMO though, so I don't really blame Bethesda for wanting the agreement enforced.

The Fallout Trilogy thing... I agree it is nitpicking, that one's a little icky.

breathemetal
09-11-09, 11:35 PM
Meh, I support Bethesda. Oblivion and FO3 have my heart :p

SH64
09-12-09, 12:12 AM
Bastids!!

wait .. what? :wtf:

Atomizer
09-12-09, 02:34 AM
Stop there criminal scum! *zooms in to face*

Ancient76
09-12-09, 05:22 AM
They just want to stop Interplay from messing with what they have built the Fallout name into. I am sure they view it as they built the name into something much more than it ever was, and if Interplay ever somehow manages to release an MMO that sucks, it will tarnish what they are doing.

You are my idol man :)

newparad1gm
09-12-09, 06:19 AM

Fallout 1 and 2 were great because of Black Isle Studios development team. Interplay just published them. Now that the studio is defunct, I don't know who was given the reigns to the MMO.

Fallout Trilogy is also a somewhat misleading name too for that pack. It implies Fallout 1, 2, and 3, but in actuality is Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. People would get this expecting 3 in the package, which is why I guess Bethesda is taking issue..

Lfctony
09-12-09, 06:32 AM
Fallout 1 and 2 were great because of Black Isle Studios development team. Interplay just published them. Now that the studio is defunct, I don't know who was given the reigns to the MMO.

Crap, you're right there. I forgot Interplay was only the publisher for those two... :o Oh well, they've recruited the services of Masthead Studios (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masthead_Studios) for the MMO. I don't know how good that will turn out... :bleh:

Honestly, in my mind I was defending the developer of the first two games. I forgot that they closed shop and that Interplay was only the publisher... :(

jlippo
09-13-09, 04:43 AM
Apparently Betsheda/ZeniMax has competent layers. :D
I find this completely in their right as they do own the IP.

ST:DS9
09-13-09, 02:24 PM
Bethesdsa has every legal right to do this. They also have a moral obligation to their investors to pursue this lawsuit. Don't demonize Bethesda for doing the right thing.