PDA

View Full Version : LMAO @ this bug in Batman - PC

Pages : [1] 2

K007
09-12-09, 01:51 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/10/eidos-intentionally-glitches-batman-arkham-asylum-pirates/
Well, this is just hysterical. Posting on the Batman: Arkham Asylum PC forums, user "Cheshirec_the_cat" complained that Batman's glide wasn't working in a certain section of the game, leading to his death by poisonous gas. Before long, Eidos moderator Keir informed him that he had actually stumbled on an intentional glitch in the game that only affects those who pirated their copy. "It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code," quipped Keir.

ATi
09-12-09, 04:16 AM
every game should have a bug like this. game breaking bugs would BE ALOT better than that DRM ****

BioHazZarD
09-12-09, 04:55 AM
Kinda like gta4 with the drunken cam cause of bad crack lol.

wollyka
09-12-09, 05:53 AM
Stupid pirates don't stop to amaze me.. the game on PC isn't even released!! lol
EPIC FAIL!

Ywap
09-12-09, 06:16 AM
Good stuff, more of this :D

All weapons in the battle against piracy are welcome (lee) :rw:

Talon
09-12-09, 07:16 AM
That's just awesome. Nice burn. :)

General Lee
09-12-09, 07:22 AM
"Your insolence, FOR THE LOSE!!!" Father Leet

"This relationship is headed for an epic fail" Mother Leet

:rofl:rofl:rofl

FearMeAll
09-12-09, 07:40 AM
HA HA!! I agree this is the kind of stuff game developers should use. You are right ATi, this is leagues better than DRM.
I'm so getting this game BTW. Saw the video review on gamespot and I'm sold.

bacon12
09-12-09, 09:34 AM
Funny thing is the crackers have already patched it so yea it was good for a laugh, and worked for what less than a week. I am sure it took the devs longer to put it in the game than it did for a talented group to invalidate it.

crainger
09-12-09, 10:26 AM
It's a good idea as long as the devs let people know.

Titan's Quest apparently had the same sort of things, but didn't tell anyone until after the studio went belly up. Intentional? Or just a way to cover up game breaking bugs?

Lfctony
09-12-09, 12:29 PM
Let me just state this in case anyone has any doubt:

The game itself does not have any bugs. PhysX implementation is a bit problematic at this time but, it works fine without PhysX. All the "bugs" are copy protection triggers. If you buy this game (and you should as its worth every penny, best game I've played in ages, have it on the x360) you will not have any problems at all with running it. No triggers, no show stopping bugs...

MowTin
09-12-09, 12:54 PM
It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code

That's funny.

wrathofgod
09-12-09, 12:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely buying the game and support all good game developers, but...

lol...there was a fix for that a day after the game was leaked...

Redeemed
09-12-09, 01:04 PM
:lol:

Pirates FTL. :p

dikinher
09-12-09, 02:01 PM
They should do this with all games. And after installation of a purchased copy, have a message pop up and prompt users to register their game on a website to patch their game via a downloader.

jolle
09-12-09, 02:50 PM

Titan's Quest apparently had the same sort of things, but didn't tell anyone until after the studio went belly up. Intentional? Or just a way to cover up game breaking bugs?
Yeah TQ should have had a error message saying that the crash was due to a failed protection check, as it was it would just drop players to the desktop and that got it a bad name, people just thought it was unstable and buggy, when in reality it was just a pirated copy with only the initial check removed that caused pretty much all of the issues.
And that gave some bad word of mouth.

As they mentioned in that post after they shut down, they had their forums swamped by people crying about instability before the game was even released.

crainger
09-12-09, 05:51 PM
They should do this with all games. And after installation of a purchased copy, have a message pop up and prompt users to register their game on a website to patch their game via a downloader.

This.

Problem is, the PC platform. Anyone can reverse engineer, crack and patch things. ::(:

Honestly, if more ISP capped people connections, more would go out and buy games. They are gamers, they have to have the game. If they can't get it online after being capped, you know they'll go down and buy the damn thing. Same for movies and TV programs.

jlippo
09-13-09, 04:30 AM

Spyro on Ps1 had tens of those as well, all kinds of little clitches and characters telling you to buy the game.
After couple of stages there was point where one jumping platform was missing so you couldn't complete the game.
It took a long time for pirates to make perfect hack to the game. :)

Lfctony
09-13-09, 05:04 AM
Honestly, if more ISP capped people connections, more would go out and buy games. They are gamers, they have to have the game. If they can't get it online after being capped, you know they'll go down and buy the damn thing. Same for movies and TV programs.

What, and kill digital distribution in the process? I don't think you've thought about it all the way through...

crainger
09-13-09, 05:46 AM
Steam and the like would be quota free fancy pants.

Lfctony
09-13-09, 06:05 AM
Steam and the like would be quota free fancy pants.

Ok. What will they cap then? Torrents? Fine. Newsgroups? OK. How do they cap rapidshare and the lot? Unless they cap the whole connection, those cannot be blocked since its the standard http protocol that is used. I know first hand, my old ISP used to pull tricks like that when they had bandwidth problems. If you cap that, you cap everything that uses it, including normal websites and sites like Filefront/Fileplanet etc, including Steam and the like...

So an ISP would be committing suicide... If my info is wrong, someone say so...

jolle
09-13-09, 07:32 AM
capping is really weak, what about people working with things like SVN and syncing data daily, you could run into that cap pretty fast.
This would be pretty much every open source or mod project.

ATi
09-13-09, 07:51 AM
Ok. What will they cap then? Torrents? Fine. Newsgroups? OK. How do they cap rapidshare and the lot? Unless they cap the whole connection, those cannot be blocked since its the standard http protocol that is used. I know first hand, my old ISP used to pull tricks like that when they had bandwidth problems. If you cap that, you cap everything that uses it, including normal websites and sites like Filefront/Fileplanet etc, including Steam and the like...

So an ISP would be committing suicide... If my info is wrong, someone say so...you sir are not wrong you are right

six_storm
09-13-09, 08:42 AM

So an ISP would be committing suicide... If my info is wrong, someone say so...

People are always going to find a way to pirate things, whether it be games, music, movies, programs, etc. And yes, you are right. You ISP can't cap bandwidth or speeds just to stop some pirates, that's a little extreme IMO. How would you like to have your Interwebz cut down to 56k speeds again because your neighbor or friend on the same ISP decided to download a movie? ;)

The Batman anti-piracy was a pretty good idea IMO.

Gaco
09-13-09, 10:36 AM
People are always going to find a way to pirate things, whether it be games, music, movies, programs, etc. And yes, you are right. You ISP can't cap bandwidth or speeds just to stop some pirates, that's a little extreme IMO. How would you like to have your Interwebz cut down to 56k speeds again because your neighbor or friend on the same ISP decided to download a movie? ;)

The Batman anti-piracy was a pretty good idea IMO.
Well on the other hand, why not cap data transfer/month, but not speed? Why would you need more than 50gb each month if it's legal? They could create special "lines" for legal HD movie streaming etc., seperate from "the normal" internet. Just an idea, I haven't thought it totally through..