PDA

View Full Version : Gainward Ti4600 bit the dust :-(

tieros
06-24-03, 05:11 PM
This is the second gainward Ti4600 I've had go bad now!

The first one arrived bad, and would boot with vertical lines on the screen, scrambled ASCII (@ for D, for example), and would generally hard lock the machine as Windows booted.

I RMAed it, and got a second one, which worked fine for a few months, but is now exhibiting the exact same behavior. I've moved it to 3 different machines, and reflashed the BIOS a couple of times, but no luck.

I sent a support request to Gainward. Are they any good at responding?

Anyone else see this behavior, and if so, did you find a fix? I'd really hate to be sitting on a 300 buck paperweight at this point :mad:

TIA

ricercar
06-24-03, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately those are signs of a bad GPU, and not repairable. I had a card RMA'd without resistance from PNY tech support with screen artifacts and ASCII replacements during POST.

Now you get to see how responsive Gainward's RMA support is. :(

tieros
06-24-03, 08:25 PM
Somehow, I feel like I didn't quite get a "Golden Sample" either time, but I'm about to get a "Golden Shower" from them :D

Geforce4ti4200
06-24-03, 09:35 PM
Gainward sucks now. Their ti4200s get pink screen of death too.

tieros
06-24-03, 10:03 PM
Wow, they got back with me in less than 8 hours with info to get an RMA!

This may turn out a lot better than I expected :D

Phyre
06-25-03, 01:54 AM
Check out this thread at amdmb.com. I had the same issue with a Gainward Ti4200. I'm not sure if it happens with the 4600's or not though. A lot of the Gainward cards have been reported having bad capacitors on them causing such errors.

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=166031&highlight=gainward+capacitors

Phyre

Ywap
06-25-03, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by tieros
Somehow, I feel like I didn't quite get a "Golden Sample" either time, but I'm about to get a "Golden Shower" from them :D

Or maybe YOU should offer THEM a golden shower :D

SteveL
06-25-03, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Ywap
Or maybe YOU should offer THEM a golden shower :D

That seems to read a little better ;)