PDA

View Full Version : Windows Setup on SATA

Iron1384
06-24-03, 07:26 PM
I just finished building a new computer. It is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board with a Seagate Barracuda SATA hard drive. I run windows setup from the CD, and the program says it detected no Harddrives in the system, and makes me quit. I believe i have everything hooked up correctly, and the PC does see the harddrive during POST. Is there anything i need to do in the BIOS to make setup see the disk?

Iron1384
06-24-03, 07:33 PM
Nevermind, i found the solution on the Seagate website.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_detect.html

ricercar
06-24-03, 08:11 PM
This is apparently the common experience with SATA controllers. I had to load my SATA PCI card drivers to do a WinXP install on some Western Digital SATA drives, just like you & Seagate describe.

poursoul
06-25-03, 08:48 AM
anyone who's had a bit of experience with SCSI wouldn't even think about it, they would just hit F6 and mindlessly install the drivers. I see people get caught up on this all the time.

Paul
06-26-03, 09:45 AM
Yep, same as with my Promise PCI IDE Controller. Drivers folks, drivers!

PsychoSy
06-26-03, 06:25 PM
Then there's people like me that burned a slipstreamed SP1 and all the nForce2 drivers on to a CDRW. Pop it in and it only bugs me twice - once when it wants to know if it should leave C:\ drive's filesystem intact and later on regarding timezone and date - and that's about it.

I slipstreamed the Silicon Image SATA drivers along with it but I didn't test it to see if I still need to press F6 or not as I was running on IDE at the time. I recently went back to IDE because a few days ago, IE would crash immediately. Looking into my event viewer, I see the following entry...

Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

Not once but 14 times! :eek:

Been on the IDE channels ever since. I need to do a low level format to see if I can recover those bad blocks. If so, the problem was SATA corruption.

If I can't recover them, then this brand new WD 80Gig is going south allready. :mad: