PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about steam

Jon
09-15-09, 01:43 PM
I've searched the net, but can't find a definate answer. I like the fact that using steam I can download my game on any computer I'm logged into and don't need the cd in to play. If I buy a game not available on steam from a store and register it as a none steam game do I get these features? What if I buy a game from a store and then register it on steam?

bob saget
09-15-09, 01:49 PM
If you get a non-steam game and register in in steam itself, all that does is in "Friends", your contacts can see which game it is you are playing. If its a multiplayer game though, they would not be able to see server info or connect to it.
That non-steam game is not tied to your official steam account.

ViN86
09-15-09, 01:56 PM
I've searched the net, but can't find a definate answer. I like the fact that using steam I can download my game on any computer I'm logged into and don't need the cd in to play. If I buy a game not available on steam from a store and register it as a none steam game do I get these features? What if I buy a game from a store and then register it on steam?

In short, no.

There are a very small number of games that you can buy in the store and enter your CD key and receive this benefit. Most of these games are made by Valve (TF2, L4D, etc.). You could do it with UT3 for a while (I don't know if you still can, I was able to do it).

Kaguya
09-15-09, 02:02 PM
Yep... adding non-Steam games basically just gives you the Shift-Tab overlay so you can chat and your friends can see what you're playing.

I love using the Steam feature of downloading games to whatever system I have, especially for Indie games that run on my laptop, my work computer (don't tell!) and home :)

Albo
09-15-09, 05:32 PM
You can, but only the games that are listed here
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601