PDA

View Full Version : Is this a possible NV40 Demo Character

Pages : [1] 2

Kandoko
06-25-03, 01:01 AM
visgoth posted a link to a CG artist who did texture work on dawn/FF/and the Animatrix.

Ther is a VERY detailed male head texture under the Nvida Work in Progress link. Just made me wonder where it would be used.

http://www.stevengiesler.com/WIP1.html

:rolleyes: Oh and a very nice pic of dawn to drool over.;)
Now why wasn't that pose in the demo
http://www.stevengiesler.com/WIP2.html

SurfMonkey
06-25-03, 03:16 AM
I think we are still well within the realms of the NV3x capabilities witht those renders. The NV4x should just be able to more and faster.

Tsunami
06-25-03, 03:51 AM
i agree that is very detailed but it does look as though it can be handled by an nv3x besides i heard the nv40 had no revolutionary graphics enhancements i heard they just found a way to higher the clock speed without a jet engine

ricercar
06-25-03, 09:08 AM
Geistler was an artist on the NVIDIA Demo Team, who left the company earlier this year. Rumor has it that he spent way too much time ensuring Dawn was, shall we say, anatomically correct to the finest detail. For example, I heard people snickering that he spent over four hours on a certain orifice ... :rolleyes:

prodikal
06-25-03, 09:26 AM
That guy kinda looks like this dude in goodfellas. That should be there new demo he drives up in the truck and shoots up the gastation. ;)

Kandoko
06-25-03, 10:44 AM
Well Geistler is a talented (and uh.. anal retentive :ass: ) artist then. From the skin details and imperfections on the models I thought they had used some sort of full body scan on a real person.

And having the dude drive up and blow up the gas station would show off those fire effects nicely. :)

ricercar
06-25-03, 11:17 AM
While the NVIDIA Demo team used motion capture to acquire Dawn's movements from a human dancer in LA, they didn't take her skin tones and imperfections from any particular human, to the best of my knowledge.

Don't believe Dawn was a solo effort. Five other artists are on the demo team that creatad Dawn, not to mention a half-dozen developers who actually coded Dawn's concept drawings into vertices and textures.

Edited to delete ad-hominem comment

digitalwanderer
06-25-03, 11:35 AM
No, this has nothing to do with a new demo....this is a SECRET project nVidia is working on...

See, they're building themselves a new chairman....either that or a reviewer. :eek2:
http://www.stevengiesler.com/images/hi_rez/SeamanWIP.jpg

EDITED BITS: Just wanted to add that OH MY GODS I LOVED THAT NUDE DAWN PICTURE!!!!!! SCCCCCCCCHWEEEEEEEET!!!!! :drooling:

Uttar
06-25-03, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Tsunami
i agree that is very detailed but it does look as though it can be handled by an nv3x besides i heard the nv40 had no revolutionary graphics enhancements i heard they just found a way to higher the clock speed without a jet engine

Oh, and I heard vastly otherwise. No idea just how credible all that stuff is ( it's really my own harmonious mix of many public rumors and private info ) - but if it is, well, the NV30 is soon gonna look real, real bad... ( not like it doesn't look bad already, but eh... ) EDIT: I'm talking about the NV40 here. Some of my info might be quite wrong though, still too early to get really reliable microarchitecture details I fear.

Where did you "hear" all that stuff anyway? :p

Damn, I really wish nVidia would do a "nightclub" demo with loads of dancers and people for a change.
Seems insane? Well, the PPP would help a lot to make the polygon count more managable, and the shading wouldn't be that much more complicated since heck, there wouldn't be more pixels in the scene than in all other demos ( they'd have a huge CPU budget to make practically perfect front-to-back culling, too... )

I don't see why such a demo couldn't be done. The NV3x couldn't handle it, but the NV4x could I'd bet. There, if any nVidia employees are lurking or anything here, you know what I'm asking for ;)
Heck, if we get that, I even promise not to do a nude version because that'd become way too pervert. Not like I drool on those demos or anything anyway, just find them to look good. Don't make any silly hypothesis, people :p

Uttar

sancheuz
06-25-03, 11:47 AM
When do you guys think we will start seeing games with characters with this much detail?

digitalwanderer
06-25-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
Oh, and I heard vastly otherwise. No idea just how credible all that stuff is ( it's really my own harmonious mix of many public rumors and private info ) - but if it is, well, the NV30 is soon gonna look real, real bad... ( not like it doesn't look bad already, but eh... )
<The Dig's inate geek scandle-senses start tingling wildly upon reading Uttar's post. There is something coming, something big.....AGAIN!>

Uhm....are you subtly hinting that there is another shoe left to fall off for this whole FX fiasco? And by the "NV30 is soon gonna look real, real bad..." is that JUST the 5800 then and the 5900 isn't going to be affected by this?

Uttar
06-25-03, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by sancheuz
When do you guys think we will start seeing games with characters with this much detail?

In about 2 years, I guess it'll become a reality for real games. Right now, having one character like that is okay, but having many is absolutely impossible. With more advanced LODing techniques and even more raw power, however, it'll become possible - not for tonight, though! :)

Digi: Hey, I was talking about comparing the NV40 to the NV30 :P I mean, some of the raw figures seem to be very impressive, but the reliability is less than impressive, so it could be complete BS and be no where as impressive. Time will tell...

Uttar

Hellbinder
06-25-03, 12:24 PM
Those guys should have done the HULK...

Paul
06-25-03, 12:50 PM
The male face above really is extraordinary. I'm never one of those people who say every new thing is "photo realistic", but that is pretty close. I can't see the NV3x doing that at any real speed, but it would be great to see the NV4x or even Loci doing it.

Also, RE: NV40. Far from them pushing clock speeds too high, it seems that they're actually being reasonably conservative on the Core speed. Not that 550mhz is low particuarly, but it's hardly as if they're stretching it for all it's worth, like with the NV30.

That's a good thing btw, since it indicates that the chip doesn't need the extra mhz to pull the fps in. My only real reservation left is how the shading is going to be on the NV40, whether they're going to come to their senses and go for a general shading engine, or whether they're going to continue down the NV3x path of requiring custom shaders for decent performance.

That will certainly be the deciding point for me, between NV4x and Loci, assuming performance is just about equal. I'd go with NV only if they had good shaders, a la ATi now.

reever2
06-25-03, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by sancheuz

As soon as BOTH Nv and Ati have respectable PS 2/3.0 speed

Uttar
06-25-03, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by reever2
As soon as BOTH Nv and Ati have respectable PS 2/3.0 speed

Good point, actually. nVidia's current PS shading capacities are simply horrible IMO. If the register usage problem wasn't there, it might be okay - but with it, it's really not too glorious. Even ATI engineers are complaining about it...
Let's hope the NV40 fixes the register usage problem - I got *zero* info about whether it's gone... If it isn't, nVidia might be in trouble. Again...

Uttar

digitalwanderer
06-25-03, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
Digi: Hey, I was talking about comparing the NV40 to the NV30 :P I mean, some of the raw figures seem to be very impressive, but the reliability is less than impressive, so it could be complete BS and be no where as impressive. Time will tell...

Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I had this weird flash that mebbe you had seen some numbers off of the soon-to-be-released Aquanox III benchmark and that was what you were talking about. ;)

GlowStick
06-25-03, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I had this weird flash that mebbe you had seen some numbers off of the soon-to-be-released Aquanox III benchmark and that was what you were talking about. ;)

Ive seen Aquamark 2.1 in action and it really wasent impressive, but 3 looks like it has those cool features with shader comaparson etc

digitalwanderer
06-25-03, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Ive seen Aquamark 2.1 in action and it really wasent impressive, but 3 looks like it has those cool features with shader comaparson etc
I haven't seen anything of AM3 yet, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about it and how it gives a lot of interesting feedback.

I wasn't too impressed with AM2, I'm really hoping that AM3 shines. I like something that'll give me viddy card a work out, and it's harder to find since I got the 9700 Pro. :cool:

jAkUp
06-25-03, 05:37 PM
i downloaded the aquamark3 video that was released yesterday... it looks pretty good to my peepers:)

if you havent seen the video yet you can download it here:
http://www.aquamark3.com/teaser.htm

Hellbender
06-28-03, 06:23 PM
if you havent seen the video yet you can download it here:
http://www.aquamark3.com/teaser.htm

Sweet :D

Behemoth
06-28-03, 11:17 PM
what is the polygon count of that head? 50k?
how many pixel shaded polygons can nv30/35 handle?

fantomas
06-29-03, 09:32 PM
looks like those pages you linked to are gone...

The requested URL was not found on this server

anyone got them cached to post here?

Remi
06-30-03, 03:06 PM
Yes, please!

If for some reason you could not or would not post them, could eventually someone email them?

That would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Kandoko
06-30-03, 10:15 PM
Woops looks like I pissed him/or his isp with all the traffic. Sorry should have just posted the photo but I don't have a host.:(