PDA

View Full Version : Sony PlayStation 3 and the "yellow light of death"

NaitoSan
09-18-09, 05:35 PM
Pretty interesting.

When Sony launched its latest PlayStation in 2007, they described it as a super powered entertainment machine. No longer just a games console, the PlayStation 3 could play high-definition movies and digital TV, store photos and music, and connect to the internet. It sold for 425, making it the most expensive console on the market, but that was ok, because it was built to last, right? At the North American launch of the PS3 in November 2006, Sony Computer Entertainment President Kaz Hirai told CNN, "I think the investment the consumers make on day one with the PS3 is an investment that they can enjoy for many, many years to come."

But after a little more than two years, the enjoyment of some owners of the original PS3 has turned to frustration: their machines have broken down without warning, and all have displayed the same fault indicator - a yellow flashing light. When that light shows, the box no longer works. It's become so feared by gamers that they've dubbed it "The Yellow Light of Death".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/09/playstation3_and_the_yellow_li.html

|MaguS|
09-18-09, 06:13 PM
No it’s a bull**** article written by an author who in the past was hired by MS to write an anti PS3 article. There is no credibility here; they used a 3 consoles to base their results on, one which was tampered with.

Heck, Every site that posted a link to this article does not agree with it. Sony even threatened a lawsuit regarding this because it is full of wrong information. Sony even released their failure rate for the UK stating it was less then 1% of the entire market that has ever reported a YLOD. This article blows a small issue way out of proportion.

BTW heres the past article written by the "investigator" in this case.
http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/article.aspx?cp-documentid=7838134

ATi
09-18-09, 06:14 PM
my ps3 has it :( but I'm on my 3rd xbox360 I read that ps3 has a 10% Failure rate and xbox360 has a 53% Failure rate

DiscipleDOC
09-18-09, 06:57 PM
I still have my PS3 that I bought at launch.

NaitoSan
09-18-09, 07:21 PM
My PS3 launch unit is still working perfectly fine. LOL MaguS, first thing I read this article and knew you'd response after I post it- and I was right. :D To be honest this has to be something to think about. Still, PS3's failure rates are much lower than XBOX360's failure rates (although it's improving in overtime).

Bman212121
09-18-09, 07:28 PM
I've never heard even heard of such an occurrence before. Are they talking about a flashing yellow hard drive light?

From what I rather it must be the red power light turning yellow. If it's just a general fault it's hard to say what caused it.

ATi
09-18-09, 07:29 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/55864/Other/General/Trailer/Watchdog-Investigates-Playstation-3-Failures

Moo
09-18-09, 07:29 PM
My Super Famicon still works :afro:

They just don't build them like they used to... :thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
09-18-09, 07:38 PM
My PS3 launch unit is still working perfectly fine. LOL MaguS, first thing I read this article and knew you'd response after I post it- and I was right. :D To be honest this has to be something to think about. Still, PS3's failure rates are much lower than XBOX360's failure rates (although it's improving in overtime).

It's a ridiculous article; no one can take it seriously... especially when you learn the history of the writer. The PS3 failure rate is lower the average for an electronic device, think I have seen more iPhones fail then the PS3...

Bman212121
09-18-09, 07:55 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/55864/Other/General/Trailer/Watchdog-Investigates-Playstation-3-Failures

The first guy in that video said flashing red light, not yellow. So maybe they mean the green power light, the yellow hdd light, then the flashing red light.

ATi
09-18-09, 07:58 PM
The first guy in that video said flashing red light, not yellow. So maybe they mean the green power light, the yellow hdd light, then the flashing red light.no first its green and then it turns yellow after that is the flashing red light.my ps3 has the YLOD we have the same issue :(

Lyme
09-18-09, 10:24 PM
It's a ridiculous article; no one can take it seriously... especially when you learn the history of the writer. The PS3 failure rate is lower the average for an electronic device, think I have seen more iPhones fail then the PS3...

That is expected, the iphone has sold significantly more units than the PS3.

|MaguS|
09-18-09, 10:30 PM
That is expected, the iphone has sold significantly more units than the PS3.

Actually it barely outsold the PS3 worldwide with it hitting 21.6 million in March 09, and also... it's cheaper and available in more markets.

Domestically the iPhone has also sold less then the PS3, the iPhone is at around 7 million in the US while the PS3 is over 9 million.

Remember, I work for at&t. ;)

Ninja Prime
09-19-09, 03:10 AM
I find this highly ironic and amusing, since fanboys made "zomg RROD" their major arguement point of getting a PS3 over a 360.

pkirby11
09-19-09, 11:25 AM
Two year old PS3 going strong. I have no issues with it and I use it pretty regularly for movies and games. I think it's all in perspective on how often you use these systems, how you treat them and whether you take the time to clean and dust them. I'm guessing they are just blowing this out of proportion to make a story. I did however have an XBOX 360 that RROD in about the same time with about the same use and care.

ATi
09-19-09, 11:42 AM
Two year old PS3 going strong. I have no issues with it and I use it pretty regularly for movies and games. I think it's all in perspective on how often you use these systems, how you treat them and whether you take the time to clean and dust them. I'm guessing they are just blowing this out of proportion to make a story. I did however have an XBOX 360 that RROD in about the same time with about the same use and care. I didn't use my ps3 a lot only used my ps3 for bluray and I cleaned it every week:(

Lyme
09-19-09, 01:37 PM
Actually it barely outsold the PS3 worldwide with it hitting 21.6 million in March 09, and also... it's cheaper and available in more markets.

Domestically the iPhone has also sold less then the PS3, the iPhone is at around 7 million in the US while the PS3 is over 9 million.

Remember, I work for at&t. ;)

Kind of ironic that you mention that.. I work for at&T + I've seen more dead iphones. Imagine if you worked for Sony, would you have seen more broken PS3s?

Anyhow, it doesn't make much difference. From the interwebs the main cause for the yld is the same as the main cause of the rrod, and both (imo) were caused by the lack of understanding of what happens when you remove lead from solder (blame the environmentalists).

|MaguS|
09-19-09, 03:26 PM
Kind of ironic that you mention that.. I work for at&T + I've seen more dead iphones. Imagine if you worked for Sony, would you have seen more broken PS3s?

Anyhow, it doesn't make much difference. From the interwebs the main cause for the yld is the same as the main cause of the rrod, and both (imo) were caused by the lack of understanding of what happens when you remove lead from solder (blame the environmentalists).

The thing is that it's a general failure. Their is no exact reason for it. Not every system that fails does so for the reason, unlike on the x360 which the fault has been proven already. This article only pointed out 3 systems from the entire UK and then mentioned what they have been hearing from consumers. So no actual investigating has been done. What's nice is Sony actually came out and said their known failure rate Which is the complete opposite of what ms has done.

Lyme
09-19-09, 03:55 PM
I did a search on the interwebs, there was a article about a non-sony repair shop that fixed 15 ps3's that had come in. All 15 were fixed by re-sodering the board.