PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma PS3 Demo

LurkerLito
09-26-09, 09:21 AM
It's out on PSN and it plays great. It has one unlockable character and difficulty level. It also has 2 other modes that you would only really expect to see in the full game and not a demo. It's really a lot of fun. But WTF did they do to the blood? The 360 version was IMO perfect when it came to the gore, but the PS3 version is seriously lacking. They didn't remove all the red blood but reduced it very significantly. When the crawling guys with missing limbs are still around, what use to be a pretty nasty looking wound is now blue. It is pretty disappointing after playing the 360 version of NG2. I am still buying the full game cause I like the series, but it is very disappointing. You just don't get that satisfying explosion when doing the air spinning pile driver thing, it just like flashes blue unlike on the 360 version where it ... :headexplode:

JaylumX
09-29-09, 04:59 PM
From what i understand they removed the blood so that the game could maintain a steady fps at the internal resolution of 1280 x 720 w/o AA. The 360 version was 1185x585 w 2xAA.

I like the demo of sigma 2 even though it was a bit short and easy but i do like the bonus scene one gets in comparing to the 360 demo.

|MaguS|
09-29-09, 05:33 PM
From what i understand they removed the blood so that the game could maintain a steady fps at the internal resolution of 1280 x 720 w/o AA. The 360 version was 1185x585 w 2xAA.

I like the demo of sigma 2 even though it was a bit short and easy but i do like the bonus scene one gets in comparing to the 360 demo.

I believe the game still has 2xAA...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1336328&postcount=869

good surprise for NGS2. it's a true 720p (vs 1120x585 on X360) and with MSAA x2. it's better than Sigma 1 (no AA) and the first Action AAA PS3 game in 720p + MSAA + 60fps (DMC use temporal AA not true MSAA)

They removed the blood because it was not required and looked stupid honestly... Heck NONE of the previous games ever had that level of gore, they brought it back down to the series standard.

Marvel_us
09-29-09, 07:25 PM
Definitely picking this up. Controls feel a tad less responsive compared to NGS1 but still a very fun game to play and learn.

Mr. Hunt
09-29-09, 07:51 PM
Picked it up today... definitely a fun game. I think the improvements outweigh the downgrades. Although the game is much easier this time it seems.

Lfctony
09-29-09, 10:55 PM
Very, very good game. It should be dispatched soon, I will have it next week. So many good games, all at once on the PS3... :)

The use of blood was just LAME in the original game, IMO. Reminds me of the crappy Kill Bill spraying... This is not a slasher film. Good decision on getting rid of it...

LurkerLito
09-30-09, 12:02 AM
This is not a slasher film. Good decision on getting rid of it..

I definitely disagree there. This game is the very definition of the Slasher Film game equivalent ;). While I agree they went a little overboard on the 360 version. They didn't have to change the spray from red to blue when the limbs came off your enemies. That seems lame to me.

Lfctony
09-30-09, 07:35 AM
I definitely disagree there. This game is the very definition of the Slasher Film game equivalent ;). While I agree they went a little overboard on the 360 version. They didn't have to change the spray from red to blue when the limbs came off your enemies. That seems lame to me.

There's no blue spray. Just bluish tint on the limbs...

Also, you go watch a slasher film in order to watch the blood thingie... You play this game because its a beat-em-up with swords. By definition, a slasher film cannot be called that without excessive blood. In a game like this one, the fun lies in the game itself and not how far the blood is being sprayed. So I must disagree. Any game that has swords doesn't necesserily need excessive blood... This game is no way the equivalent of a slasher film. The blood "mechanics" don't define this game...

newparad1gm
09-30-09, 10:13 AM
I much prefer the ability to play as Ayane, Momiji, and Rachel in this one, even though their own mission sets are apparently very short.

And I prefer the Sixaxis functionality :captnkill: over the gore. Bewbs > blood.

BioHazZarD
09-30-09, 10:43 AM
What a boring game.. i felt i had not much control of the character.. so a game where u button smash your way through ? baah no thanks.

LurkerLito
09-30-09, 01:55 PM
While you can get away with just button mashing on the easier levels, you really need skills to really be good at the game especially on the harder difficultly levels. He has many combos and counter moves that take a lot of SF2 like timing to pull off. The demo is kind of like playing the game after you finished going through it once already because they give you all weapons at max already which decreases the difficulty a bit. When you go through it starting with level 1 weapons every battle feels much harder.

JaylumX
09-30-09, 02:08 PM
What a boring game.. i felt i had not much control of the character.. so a game where u button smash your way through ? baah no thanks.

The Ninja Gaiden games are not button mashers. It combo based pretty much like Devil May Cry but taken to the next level. You won't get very far button mashing your way through either of those games if you are facing zillions of enemies at the same time.

I just felt i needed to clear up any misconceptions :afro:

Albo
09-30-09, 08:31 PM
Definitely picking this up. Controls feel a tad less responsive compared to NGS1 but still a very fun game to play and learn.

learn to be a ninja FTW

LurkerLito
10-01-09, 01:05 AM
Well I played the full game way to long today and it is good, but it feels a whole lot easier than the 360 version. They did a few things that really were unnecessary, like they gave you infinite arrows where on the 360 you had a limit of 30 arrows, some of the sword moves you'd usually have to wait till the sword was upgraded to level 2 or 3 are available at level 1. I also HATE what they did for the upgrading of weapons, instead of spending the orbs you collect to upgrade weapons anytime, they just let you upgrade one weapon for free when the shop with the blue light is visited. They also don't let you focus your upgrades to which weapon you want. It seems until all your weapons are at the same level you can't upgrade past that point and it really sucks for me cause I mainly use 3 weapons so I usually max those out first.

The graphics are a little better than the 360 version but there are some effects missing that looked nice on the 360. And of course I have to mention it one more time, the blood is missing, well technically it is not missing, they change it to blue which is just stupid cause it's a M rated game, they even kept the same Game Over screen, that on the 360 looks like it was drawn in blood, but changed the color from red to blue. Seriously I really want to know why they did that cause it just makes no sense. If they removed the particle effect blood that pooled on the floor on the 360 version because of hardware limitations, I can understand it, but to just change the color makes no sense. It like the Sega Genesis version of Mortal Kombat vs the SNES version, same game but one has green blood, one has red.

I played about 6 chapters and got to play Momiji and I spent the most time on that section (get your mind out of the gutter ;) ) probably due to it being really unfamiliar with the moves and timing I just kept dying. It really is nice to have other playable characters in the game, but IMO it just doesn't fit right into the single player campaign unlike in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1. It really feels like someone forced it in there. I'd rather they had separated her section to her own campaign in the menu than forcing me to play it during the main campaign.

The install of this game was nice, it played a prologue to the game as it installed. I think it was a nice touch. But for some reason, maybe memory limitations of the PS3, going in and out of the menus during the game, and changing weapons, causes a pause and a loading message in the lower right corner to come up. A bit annoying since that was really smooth on the 360 especially after you installed the whole game to the HD.

Overall though it is a good game and I am pretty sure I am keeping it even with the flaws.

|MaguS|
10-01-09, 07:56 AM
On a technical level the game is significantly better. To say otherwise is stupid. Not only did they increase the model quality, texture res and animation but they did this at a higher res and far better frame rate. He'll just the improvements to the stupid camera make the game better.

Camp0rz
10-01-09, 07:53 PM
The weapon upgrade system sucks, purple mist is whatever, and the loading screens are ridiculous.

I've only just made it to New York, but like.. wtf the loading is horrible. Some definite slow down, doesn't affect play but it's noticeable. And I read that the incendiary shurikens are gone, the armadillos are going to be a bitch without those.

|MaguS|
10-01-09, 08:24 PM
Install the game and the loading is better the the x360 version.

Camp0rz
10-02-09, 07:21 AM
Where is the option to install?

LurkerLito
10-02-09, 08:55 AM
There is no option to install any extra data. It is installed automatically (3GB or so) when you first start it. The game is just slow to load naturally. The loading is not better than the 360 version.

Camp0rz
10-02-09, 10:11 AM
There is no option to install any extra data. It is installed automatically (3GB or so) when you first start it. The game is just slow to load naturally. The loading is not better than the 360 version.

That's what I thought. And yeah, the 360 version was a lot faster once you had it fully installed.

Stfu, Magus.

Retrolock
10-02-09, 10:14 AM
^ :rofl

|MaguS|
10-02-09, 10:52 AM
That's what I thought. And yeah, the 360 version was a lot faster once you had it fully installed.

Stfu, Magus.

Yeah the X360 is faster when the entire game is installed but the default setup is faster on the PS3, Every review states the fact.

Ryeyoo
10-08-09, 11:40 AM
Camera still sucks though.