PDA

View Full Version : BFG Technologies' Asylum™ GeForce™ FX 5900 Ultra Review Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

Clay
06-26-03, 12:25 AM
I'm getting started on a new review for the website. So, I'd really like to hear some feedback from you, the nvnews.net visitor/forum jockey/etc, as to what you'd like to see more of/less of in a review. I'll take all feedback into consideration as I work on my current review.

Also, here's the link to my last review:
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/gainward_gf4_ti4800SE/index.shtml

You can comment based on this review as well if you'd like since I'll be approaching my current review in similar fashion.

Thanks!

Behemoth
06-26-03, 12:50 AM
i would like to see fx5800 ultra, 9700pro and 9800pro thrown in the charts. :)

digitalwanderer
06-26-03, 01:25 AM
I'd like to see a page of actual text just expressing your personal experience using the card to game with. No benchmarks or comparisons it, just how it played games/ran for ya.

I just see too many reviews putting one or two sentences per benchmark graph after a paragraph of explaining the graph's signifigance.....I really want to hear how it felt compared to a few other viddy cards you have personally tried and what pro/con it brought to the table. :cool:

But that's just me, and I'm silly that way. ;)

creedamd
06-26-03, 07:47 AM
Custom timedemos using fraps.

Hawk
06-26-03, 07:59 AM
Review all the above, but also, let us know of any issues you encounter. With the EVGA, there seems to be a hush hush on the problems. None of the reviewers posted them, but the end users sure as hell are.

Don't be bashful. . . .

Clay
06-26-03, 09:28 AM
Thanks all, keep 'em coming!

As for including other video cards...yeah I'd like to do that but this isn't going to be a "head-to-head" review and I simply don't have that other hardware at my disposal right now.

Thanks!

creedamd
06-26-03, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by maxpower
Thanks all, keep 'em coming!

As for including other video cards...yeah I'd like to do that but this isn't going to be a "head-to-head" review and I simply don't have that other hardware at my disposal right now.

Thanks!

anything to compare?

Clay
06-26-03, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by creedamd
anything to compare?

I currently have the GF4 Ti4800SE from my last review and I have an ATI 8500LE and an older GF3 Ti class card. These are obviously not in the same ballpark as the 5900 Ultra though. I may draw some parallels to the GF4 Ti4800SE in some cases but a true head-to-head with it doesn't make much sense IMO.

Dark Jedi
06-26-03, 11:28 AM
I'd like to see a page of actual text just expressing your personal experience using the card to game with. No benchmarks or comparisons it, just how it played games/ran for ya.

I echo what digitalwanderer says... that kind of review would suit and aid me in my 5900 ultra purchasing decision.

MUYA
06-26-03, 04:58 PM
Personal feedback of current games is most excellent idea ala ben's review at motehrboards or some thing like HardOCP's gainward 5900 review. Paramount is gaming with AA and AF on! An expensive card would have to be used with AA and AF enabled to make a huge purchase justifiable. So a thorough AA and AF combo settings performance and implimentation investigated is requested on all games u can test the card on :D

Nascar 2003, f1 2002 for racing sim buffs
standard fare of shooters(FPS)
Splinter cell - to further test ubisoft's bad coding
IL-2 for flight sim buffs?
warcraft III, Rise of nations etc RTS?
Dungeion Siege? --extremetech has a benching utility for it - for rpg?
DVD playback?
noise of the card ?

heheheh hope that helps for suggestions :P

MUYA

BigFish7
06-26-03, 06:27 PM
pleaas include the new DetFX v44.65 in all benches...
that would be great to see a compare against teh old
DetFX v44.03

Serious Tom
06-26-03, 07:52 PM
I've been a visitor here for some time but I had to register when I saw this thread.
I've been using a GF3 Ti/200 for some time now and I would like to see how it compares with the 5900 Ultra.
I had built my system for the 5800 Ultra late last year and the 5800 ....well you know
and I agree with digitalwanderer in his post
$500 is a lot for a video card and I for one would like a little more than graphs when they can be easily menuvered...............T

Clay
06-26-03, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Serious Tom
...I've been using a GF3 Ti/200 for some time now and I would like to see how it compares with the 5900 Ultra

Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep going. :type:

As for some comparisons to the GF3 Ti/200, sounds good to me. If there's more interest in this from others I will have some in the review.

Uttar
06-27-03, 09:08 AM
I forgot to suggest this for Volt's review ( sufficen to do for one review anyway, useless to do it twice for the same core )

Since you got a Ti4800SE and a 8500 LE...
Could we please get comparaisons at IDENTICAL clockspeeds ( and with half the memory clockspeed for the 5900 too, considering it got a twice as width memory bus )

You don't have to do that for all of your benchmarks, I suppose it's a quite time-consuming operation - but it'd be nice to do for one or two benchies maybe?

Uttar

The Baron
06-27-03, 09:41 AM
Heh, Uttar, I was actually going to do that with a uberly-underclocked 4600 vs. a 5200... Meh. We'll see if I have time (for UT2k3, I've been running tests with AA and low-res, and it takes a while...)

Clay
06-27-03, 10:00 AM
Yep, that is all very time consuming so we'll see. I'd like to have a quicker turnaround time on this review than I did with my last review. I've played around with the idea of having a Ghosted drive that I could swap out and re-Ghost as needed...that'd save a lot of time in the long run regarding removing all previous drivers, etc. Although, Ghost bit me at work a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was specific to Ghost or if the drives FAT table was fouled up but some dirs would get Ghosted just fine while others would (but be completely empty of their files/subdirs) or they'd be missing entirely. Ugh.

darkmiasma
06-27-03, 10:38 AM
Can you benchmark some non-traditional benchmarking games ... stuff that isn't too "optimized" (ie. Warcraft 3, Command and Conquer: Generals, Neverwinter Nights).

- Mike

DivotMaker
06-27-03, 11:22 AM
When do you plan on conducting the review, then publishing it?

Clay
06-27-03, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by darkmiasma
Can you benchmark some non-traditional benchmarking games ... stuff that isn't too "optimized" (ie. Warcraft 3, Command and Conquer: Generals, Neverwinter Nights).

- Mike

Absolutely. I'm personally tired of seeing Quake3 and Serious Sam 2 benchmarks. I can't even remember the last time I played Quake3...I'm in agreement with MikeC that a more *realistic* benchmarking approach is more desirable (as is proven by response here so far). The challenge with this approach is to be as accurate and reproducible as possible. Here is an early list of the games that I intend to benchmark (subject to change):

Battlefield 1942
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Single Player and Enemey Territory)
Star Trek Elite Force 2
Unreal Tournament 2003
Rise of Nations
Neverwinter Nights
IndyCar Series
F1 2002
IL2-Sturmovik

As for the timeframe...well I've started some preliminary stuff, gathering up the latest games/demos/drivers, taking pictures, etc. So, I'm at least two weeks away at this point. It could be longer depending on my schedule but I want to complete the review and publish it ASAP.

darkmiasma
06-27-03, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by maxpower
Absolutely. I'm personally tired of seeing Quake3 and Serious Sam 2 benchmarks. I can't even remember the last time I played Quake3...I'm in agreement with MikeC that a more *realistic* benchmarking approach is more desirable (as is proven by response here so far). The challenge with this approach is to be as accurate and reproducible as possible. Here is an early list of the games that I intend to benchmark (subject to change):

Battlefield 1942
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Single Player and Enemey Territory)
Star Trek Elite Force 2
Unreal Tournament 2003
Rise of Nations
Neverwinter Nights
IndyCar Series
F1 2002
IL2-Sturmovik

As for the timeframe...well I've started some preliminary stuff, gathering up the latest games/demos/drivers, taking pictures, etc. So, I'm at least two weeks away at this point. It could be longer depending on my schedule but I want to complete the review and publish it ASAP.

That's excellent ... I realize that some title need to be there just because of their popularity (UT2k3, IL2-Sturmovik) and we just have to suck up the optimizations with them.

If there is anyway you could get a hold of Warcraft 3, or C&C:Generals, Max Payne, or something a bit obsure but within the last year or so, I would be very interested in seeing the numbers.

Thanks
- Mike

Clay
06-27-03, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by darkmiasma
...If there is anyway you could get a hold of Warcraft 3, or C&C:Generals, Max Payne, or something a bit obsure but within the last year or so, I would be very interested in seeing the numbers.

Thanks
- Mike

I do have the retail version of Warcraft 3 and have thought about using it actually. Is there a C&C:Generals demo?...never have heard of one.

bigjohns97
06-27-03, 02:28 PM
please include both driver sets 44.03 and 44.65 comparison.

ALso please include games like nba live 2k3, mvp baseball 2k3, madden 2k3, and tiger woods 2k3, on both cards.

Clay
06-27-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bigjohns97
please include both driver sets 44.03 and 44.65 comparison.

ALso please include games like nba live 2k3, mvp baseball 2k3, madden 2k3, and tiger woods 2k3, on both cards.

I do intend to use both driver sets, though time will determine if I do so for every game/test scenario or not. Good suggestions, I will include at least one or two of those games you mentioned...just added them to my list. :cool:

Thanks again for everyone's feedback, the more the better.

bigjohns97
06-27-03, 02:59 PM
you just made my will and testament :p

The Baron
06-27-03, 03:01 PM
Madden 2003 ran surprisingly well on a GF4MX440 when me and my bro were playing network games of it. He kicked my ass every time :p (He also beat the Bengals as the Steelers by a margin of over 100 points. Scary.)