PDA

View Full Version : I pulled the trigger, again.

Pages : [1] 2 3

DiscipleDOC
10-02-09, 11:52 AM
I went and ordered:

Rampage II Extreme (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131352R)

I7 920 2.66 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202)

Corsair Dominator 6GB RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224)

This will be my last upgrade for a while. I should have the hardware by the end of next week, and I am looking forward to next weekend for a time of playing around with it! ;)

I'll post benchies and pics when I get the stuff.

Redeemed
10-02-09, 11:56 AM
If I may ask...

I know you've been having problems with your current setup- is this purchase because of that? Just curious... :o

DiscipleDOC
10-02-09, 12:01 PM
If I may ask...

I know you've been having problems with your current setup- is this purchase because of that? Just curious... :o

No...I was having problems with a bad flash with my P5K board....but I don't have any issues with my P5Q board.

I've decided to pull the trigger now because I won't be buying any new hardware for at least six months so I can buy a new SUV.....:bleh:

Redeemed
10-02-09, 12:06 PM
Awesome! :D On both- the upgrade and your new SUV. :)

Sadly, I figure you'll have your system together before I have mine. As such, I'm *really* looking forward to your results.

Also, if I may... you have 8GB now. Would you let me know if you notice any difference in going from 8GB down to 6? Might seem like an odd question, but I was planning 8GB for my new build (mobo only has 4 slots, yet supports tri-channel). But, if 6GB offers no noticeable impact on performance I'll just get 6GB- should allow me to put my rig together sooner. :p :)

methimpikehoses
10-02-09, 12:38 PM
Nice, DD :D

betterdan
10-02-09, 12:59 PM
So what are you doing with your Q9550 set up?

Redeemed I went from 4gb memory to 8gb recently and I'll tell you I see absolutely no difference. I just did it because someone was selling this Corsair memory very cheap and it's great memory so I couldn't resist.

DiscipleDOC
10-02-09, 01:06 PM
Nice, DD :D
Thanks. ;)
So what are you doing with your Q9550 set up?

Redeemed I went from 4gb memory to 8gb recently and I'll tell you I see absolutely no difference. I just did it because someone was selling this Corsair memory very cheap and it's great memory so I couldn't resist.
I'm probably going to sell it. After I get my setup in-house, I need to sell my older setup to offset my new build...
Awesome! :D On both- the upgrade and your new SUV. :)

Sadly, I figure you'll have your system together before I have mine. As such, I'm *really* looking forward to your results.

Also, if I may... you have 8GB now. Would you let me know if you notice any difference in going from 8GB down to 6? Might seem like an odd question, but I was planning 8GB for my new build (mobo only has 4 slots, yet supports tri-channel). But, if 6GB offers no noticeable impact on performance I'll just get 6GB- should allow me to put my rig together sooner. :p :)

As I said in an earlier post: I did a total upgrade (new cpu, gpu, more RAM), and I could not pinpoint one thing that gave me the noticeable speed bump, and with me going to a semi-different platform (from C2D to i7 and a triple channel), if there is a difference, I would not be able to say that the RAM is the culprit....

Redeemed
10-02-09, 01:32 PM
Fair enough.

And I recall when I first built my Phenom 9600 BE rig about a year ago I did some tests with 4 and then 8GB of RAM... never noticed a difference.

So I guess I'll go with 6GB. Should allow me to place the final order a bit sooner. :p :lol:

DiscipleDOC
10-02-09, 01:35 PM
I edited my thread title, because I didn't "pulled the plug", I "pulled the trigger". I'm trying to do 50 things at once, and it's not working out so well....:o

methimpikehoses
10-02-09, 01:36 PM
I was going to say.

Redeemed
10-02-09, 01:37 PM
I edited my thread title, because I didn't "pulled the plug", I "pulled the trigger". I'm trying to do 50 things at once, and it's not working out so well....:o

Well, just so long as in the midst of doing all 50 things at once, you don't forget to "breathe". ;)

I'm assuming you're at work so I know the feeling. Just taker 'er easy bro. Take some deep breadths and tackle one at a time. :)

I'm heading into work soon, and fear I might end up having to practice my own advice. :o :(

bob saget
10-02-09, 01:39 PM
awesome doc! really stimulating the economy lately aren't we? :naughty:
I love my corsair RAM. Runs rock solid, never a single issue.

DiscipleDOC
10-02-09, 01:39 PM
Well, just so long as in the midst of doing all 50 things at once, you don't forget to "breathe". ;)

I'm assuming you're at work so I know the feeling. Just taker 'er easy bro. Take some deep breadths and tackle one at a time. :)

I'm heading into work soon, and fear I might end up having to practice my own advice. :o :(

Hehehe....I had a major system crash yesterday, and I didn't get it back up and running until today. So yea, my mind is racing in a few different directions....

Redeemed
10-02-09, 01:43 PM
Hehehe....I had a major system crash yesterday, and I didn't get it back up and running until today. So yea, my mind is racing in a few different directions....

Wow, that sucks. :(

But it don't come payday. (nana2)

Glass half full brother, always. I tend to believe both God and Jesus are optimists, so I figure we should be also. ;) :) :p

Anyhow (and gettin' back on topic)... lookin' forward to your benches. Money is really tight for me now so I'm looking forward to your build so I'll have an idea what to expect whenever I *finally* manage to get my rig up and running. :lol: :)

bob saget
10-02-09, 01:44 PM
Upon further review, the RAM in the OP is identical to the one i have :thumbsup:

DiscipleDOC
10-02-09, 01:49 PM
Wow, that sucks. :(

But it don't come payday. (nana2)

Glass half full brother, always. I tend to believe both God and Jesus are optimists, so I figure we should be also. ;) :) :p

Anyhow (and gettin' back on topic)... lookin' forward to your benches. Money is really tight for me now so I'm looking forward to your build so I'll have an idea what to expect whenever I *finally* manage to get my rig up and running. :lol: :)

Oh, I know that they are! Whenever I think that I've screwed up majorly, I can hear Him saying: "I'm not through with you yet!" ;)

Back on topic: What's the biggest advantage of having Tri-channels (6GB) over 8GB of RAM

grey_1
10-02-09, 01:55 PM
Nice DD. I may not be upgrading until i9 (or 11 lol) but I may have to speak to you about that Q9550......:)

Redeemed
10-02-09, 05:27 PM
Oh, I know that they are! Whenever I think that I've screwed up majorly, I can hear Him saying: "I'm not through with you yet!" ;)

Back on topic: What's the biggest advantage of having Tri-channels (6GB) over 8GB of RAM

Well, theoretically, I'd think you might even see a boost with 6GB in tri-channel over 8GB in dual channel, unless the bottle neck was in capacity alone.

But, this is all theoretical. And with the more I read about the more I feel any difference between the two would be negligible at best. :)

Thunderbolt56
10-03-09, 10:26 PM
Advantages of tri-channel vs dual is a huge increase in memory bandwidth.

Here's a direct comparison benchmark: http://www.ninjalane.com/articles/general_information/dualvtriple/page3.aspx

crainger
10-04-09, 02:39 AM
Synthetic is always nice, but in games is make no difference.

Yaboze
10-04-09, 10:11 AM
Nice DD.

I saw the i7 920 at Microcenter for $199, might want to check them out if you have one local.

DiscipleDOC
10-05-09, 12:33 AM
Nice DD.

I saw the i7 920 at Microcenter for $199, might want to check them out if you have one local.

The only thing that I'm seeing for $199 is the i5, and I don't have a microcenter near me.....

SteveC
10-05-09, 09:55 AM
congrats :afro2:

Nice choice of RAM also...

DiscipleDOC
10-05-09, 10:11 AM
congrats :afro2:

Nice choice of RAM also...

Thanks, I am planning on taking a lot of pics for you guys too. ;)

methimpikehoses
10-05-09, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I am planning on taking a lot of pics for you guys too. ;)

:bleh: