PDA

View Full Version : anti-static bag substitute??

sharky
06-26-03, 06:34 PM
I have a couple of computer cases around here that I can get painted TONIGHT, professionally :) for FREE!! My lucky day!

I don't have any anti-static bags around to put my stuff in while my case is getting painted. I have heard that aluminum foil is a good substitute...however, I can't remember where I heard that, or if it was a reliable source.

Do any of you have any suggestion where I can safely store my electronics ehile my case is being painted?

netviper13
06-26-03, 06:46 PM
You should first check with any electronics stores in your area whether local or a Radio Shack to see if they have any extras lying around.

Not sure whether Aluminum Foil is anti-static or not though.

UDawg
06-26-03, 07:02 PM
put them on the work bench and dont go near them till you can ground your self....................................GOOD LUCK! :p

b00bie
06-27-03, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by netviper13
You should first check with any electronics stores in your area whether local or a Radio Shack to see if they have any extras lying around.

Not sure whether Aluminum Foil is anti-static or not though.

As far as I know aluminium foil is anti-static. I am 99% sure on that, but maybe you should check... :confused:

What about anti-static spray?

CaptNKILL
06-27-03, 12:37 AM
Uhh... maybe Im just dumb (probably), but how can a piece of metal be antistatic? Well, it might be antistatic for some wierd reason, but wrapping electronics in conductive material doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

You should look that up before you do that.

I just have my older parts wrapped in tissue paper and packed into a plastic box :lol:

b00bie
06-27-03, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Uhh... maybe Im just dumb (probably), but how can a piece of metal be antistatic? Well, it might be antistatic for some wierd reason, but wrapping electronics in conductive material doesnt seem like a good idea to me.

You should look that up before you do that.

I just have my older parts wrapped in tissue paper and packed into a plastic box :lol:

Well, aluminum foil is conductive but is also a passive static eliminator and a thermo reflector. Just because it's metal does not mean it's static... ;)
Not saying that you shouldn't double check that... :p

sharky
06-27-03, 02:20 AM
yeah, I just sprayed static guard all over my motherboard, ram and video card. I am sure they are safe from static now!

Hey, I appreciate your opinion. As it turned out, I am just getting my main case painted, and lucky for me, I could just remove the panels and leave the hardware in the cage.

I am interested to see if foil can be used as a substitute, but I'll find some documentation before I risk my hardware.

P.S. Just kidding about the static guard :)

anxdiety
06-27-03, 02:50 PM
Just use a couple of sheets of bounce... The anti-static sheets you use for your laundry....