PDA

View Full Version : Havok Inks Longterm Deal with Ubisoft

Heinz68
10-06-09, 09:49 PM
Well I hope they wont block for ATI cards. j/k

http://www.havok.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=320&cntnt01returnid=82
Becoming One of Its Major Middleware Providers

Ubisoft’s Top-Selling Video Game Franchises Use Havok

San Francisco, CA (October 6, 2009) – Havok today announced that it has signed a multi-year, worldwide licensing agreement with Ubisoft to use Havok's software in upcoming titles across all game platforms. The move continues, and further solidifies, Ubisoft’s long-standing usage of Havok's middleware products in such award-winning, best-selling franchises as Assassin’s Creed®, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Prince of Persia®, Shaun White Snowboarding®, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six®, and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®.

“Havok is a professional organization from its engineering and support to sales and contracts,” said Pierre Escaich, Studio Operations Director of Ubisoft. “We’ve always appreciated Havok's willingness to listen and work with us on serious and sophisticated commercial and technical issues. Havok goes the extra mile to understand the complexities of our business and the challenges development teams face.”

“Ubisoft consistently delivers many of the greatest brands in the video games industry and we are thrilled to be named as its long-standing middleware partner,” said David O'Meara, Managing Director of Havok. “Havok offers the best solutions across all gaming platforms. We believe in providing the most advanced technology to developers while backing our unmatched expertise with first class global support.”

Havok's modular suite of tools puts power in the hands of creators, making sure they can reach new standards of believability and interactivity, while mitigating the overall cost and risks associated with creating today's leading video games and movies. Havok’s products include access to a powerful and flexible set of art tools tailored to work within a studio’s particular production pipeline and assistance from the most experienced support team in the middleware industry. All of Havok’s software tools are fully multithreaded and cross-platform optimized.

jlippo
10-07-09, 05:17 AM
Well I hope they wont block for ATI cards. j/k
If that happens they will also block Nvidias cards, so Ati/AMD users can be happy. ;)

jolle
10-07-09, 05:47 AM
They´re blocking all GPUs in the sense that they dont actually have any GPU support atm.

crainger
10-07-09, 06:38 AM
I don't think Havok/GPU will ever get off the ground. Havok is a really nice solution, not as advanced as Physx, but it's served us well. Max Payne 2? Remember that? The Physics for the time were awesome and ran really well.

Notice they don't say exclusive though... ::bleh::

Kaguya
10-07-09, 09:09 AM
Notice they don't say exclusive though... ::bleh::

Hmm, that is interesting... are there any titles now that use Havok natively but also have the option of another physics engine if you have the hardware?

Another thing that I find interesting about this is whether nVidia will be as aggressive and attempt to lock in an entire publisher with PhysX titles. Seems like a bit of a coup, because I'm sure if nVidia could it would... Though of course PhysX is all value-added stuff and I'm not sure how well PhysX pulls off CPU based physics... Havok seems far superior for a broader audience than PhysX (although I enjoy PhysX effects, games that have them also run with PhysX off whereas these titles won't run with Havok off).

Wow, to make a long post longer, what other options do devs have? Is it either PhysX, Havok or write your own?

jlippo
10-07-09, 10:02 AM
I don't think Havok/GPU will ever get off the ground. Havok is a really nice solution, not as advanced as Physx, but it's served us well. Max Payne 2? Remember that? The Physics for the time were awesome and ran really well.
Some people were impressed with physics in Half Life2 as well.. ;)

Though of course PhysX is all value-added stuff and I'm not sure how well PhysX pulls off CPU based physics... Havok seems far superior for a broader audience than PhysX (although I enjoy PhysX effects, games that have them also run with PhysX off whereas these titles won't run with Havok off).
You cannot disable PhysX, when GPU is not used CPU does the job.
Developers could give choice of using CPU to do all those add on 'GPU' PhysX FX, but the FPS would be ridiculously low.

nekrosoft13
10-07-09, 11:53 AM
shame, never seen havok any anothing fancy

Kaguya
10-07-09, 01:27 PM

You cannot disable PhysX, when GPU is not used CPU does the job.
Developers could give choice of using CPU to do all those add on 'GPU' PhysX FX, but the FPS would be ridiculously low.

Ah, so in a title like Batman AA when you pick PhysX Off you're turning off the additional physics, but the basic physics that are in every game are still done in PhysX but they're not so heavily taxing and can be rendered by the CPU?

jlippo
10-07-09, 02:16 PM
Ah, so in a title like Batman AA when you pick PhysX Off you're turning off the additional physics, but the basic physics that are in every game are still done in PhysX but they're not so heavily taxing and can be rendered by the CPU?
Yes, thats the basics of it.
PhysX and havoc are fully equiped physics solvers, so it would be silly not to use them for gameplay mechanics as well.

jolle
10-07-09, 04:44 PM
Oblivion used it too, killing the stone golem things in oblivion so they break into tiny pieces and roll down a slope is pretty nice.
And having some spell reflection, mobs using a weapon with stun on, would cause us both to gently ragdoll for a while down the spiral stairs in those oblivion gate "dungeons", was kinda funny to look at.

LordJuanlo
10-09-09, 06:40 AM
Now that games like Batman started using PhysX nicely, this is very bad news. Ubisoft WAS using PhysX and now they have ditched it in favor on Havok.

I think I read somewhere (but I can't find a link) that nVidia disabled multicore CPU support in software PhysX (this feature was already working with original AGEIA drivers) so that difference between GPU and CPU was even more prominent. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Ubisoft ditched PhysX, look what they say here (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20091007161648_Ubisoft_to_Use_Havok_Middleware_for _Future_Games.html):

The decision will allow Ubisoft to use industry-standard tools better suited for multi-threading hardware.

Potentially, the announcement may mean that Ubisoft will stop using Nvidia PhysX engines for physics effects and will utlize Havok’s technologies going forward. In addition, this means that Ubisoft’s games will be able to take more advantage of multi-core central processing units and graphics processing units

3DBrad
10-09-09, 05:07 PM
This is good news. :D