PDA

View Full Version : PS3 newbie question

Pages : [1] 2

Ghosthunter
10-07-09, 11:36 AM
I was thinking of picking up the ps3 slim, I mainly wanted a blu ray player plus be nice to have a next gen console...

I heard there is a a new version coming out end of year with a 250 GB hard drive

What i do not understand is what is the hard drive used for?

the ps3 slim has a 120 GB hard drive? Won't that be enough?

I never understood what the hard drive is for since the game is on the disc?

ViN86
10-07-09, 11:50 AM
I was thinking of picking up the ps3 slim, I mainly wanted a blu ray player plus be nice to have a next gen console...

I heard there is a a new version coming out end of year with a 250 GB hard drive

What i do not understand is what is the hard drive used for?

the ps3 slim has a 120 GB hard drive? Won't that be enough?

I never understood what the hard drive is for since the game is on the disc?

To answer your question as quickly as possible.

Yes, 120 is enough. And secondly, you can upgrade the hard drive by just buying another another one from Newegg or something and installing it.

I have an 80 and about 10 games (all installed) and I still have over 40GB free. I also have 4 games from PSN.

Ghosthunter
10-07-09, 12:10 PM
Awesome that is plenty for me thanks!!!

now i am just trying to figure out where to buy it from and is it worth spending the extra money for an extended warranty...everytime i get one i never use it

Ghosthunter
10-07-09, 01:46 PM
I probably wouldn't bother with the extended warranty. I had a PS3 die on me after 3+ years of use....but I think it may have had to do with the fact that I ran folding@home on it 24/7. I DON'T run folding@home on my refurb PS3...basically, even an extended warranty wouldn't have helped me out any.

Sony charged me 150 bucks for out of warranty repair, which was well worth it since they sent me another launch PS3 with the full PS2 BC.

Thanks! going to pick one up tonight, and i remember my credit card company will automatic double the manufacture warranty, as long as i save all receipts

tornadog
10-07-09, 02:29 PM
this might help. Just saw this on SD(Sony Playstation 3 Slim 120GB Console $243)

"add the PS3 Slim(or older version) to your cart. In the promotional codes, put in:

* 930354 (takes $10 off your total)
* 931073 (20% off your order, only can be used for 1 item)
also you can save an additonal $10 dollar with bill me later for new customers only."

nevermind, the coupons dont apply on the ps3 slim

Mr. Hunt
10-07-09, 02:34 PM
Definitely get one, and I would say go ahead and upgrade your harddrive. It takes 5 minutes at most, and it is best to do it before you actually get anything on the harddrive, whereas I upgraded to 500 gigs after having the console for like 2 years lol.

Ghosthunter
10-07-09, 03:41 PM
this might help. Just saw this on SD(Sony Playstation 3 Slim 120GB Console $243)

"add the PS3 Slim(or older version) to your cart. In the promotional codes, put in:

* 930354 (takes $10 off your total)
* 931073 (20% off your order, only can be used for 1 item)
also you can save an additonal $10 dollar with bill me later for new customers only."

nevermind, the coupons dont apply on the ps3 slim

thanks for trying =)

Ghosthunter
10-07-09, 09:47 PM
I picked it up today and so far everything working great

got one question...i rented a blu ray movie from blockbuster just to check it out...and why is it not playing in full screen?

you would think hi def would be full screen?

the quality looked superb just nice to be full screen

Mr. Hunt
10-07-09, 09:59 PM

got one question...i rented a blu ray movie from blockbuster just to check it out...and why is it not playing in full screen?

Huh? Do you mean 4x3? Or what? What movie are you talking about? My guess is a movie that is 2.35:1 aspect ratio and you want it to be 16x9 to "fill" your widescreen. Too bad people like their movies the way the director intended so we get the experience they wanted, huh? :\

ViN86
10-07-09, 09:59 PM

You mean you have black bars above and below it, right?

Albo
10-07-09, 10:05 PM

You have an HD TV right? And it is plugged in through HDMI?

Ghosthunter
10-07-09, 10:12 PM
You mean you have black bars above and below it, right?

Yes

You have an HD TV right? And it is plugged in through HDMI?

and yes, 50 inch Samsung plasma

|MaguS|
10-07-09, 10:14 PM
Yeah if they still show in letterbox format its normal.

nrdstrm
10-08-09, 01:23 AM
I think either the PS3 or your TV should have a "Stretch" function. I think (and I could be wrong, so someone correct me), HDTV's are 16x9, but BR Movies are 16x10. If this is the case, to get the whole screen to fit, they have to put the bars. It could be reversed, or something else entirely, but that is what I remember reading when I was a bit pissy about that...

**EDIT**

I was a bit wrong...I just googled it, but it is the same premise...This is what I found, and a pretty good explanation as to why this occurs...

HDTVs have an aspect ratio of 16:9 while most movies have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, or 21.35:9.</div><div> </div><div>In other words, when you go to the movies, the aspect ratio is typically wider and shorter than your TV, so when those movies get put on DVD, HD-DVD, or BluRay in their original cimena aspect ratio, you will have black bars at the top &amp; bottom of your HDTV.

Ghosthunter
10-08-09, 05:40 AM
Thanks all for explanation

One last question, what are the top must have games for the ps3 that you cannot get for the PC (for example i already own batman arkham asylum and GTA 4 for pc), or just suck as ports for PC, i love all types of games, one game i was definitely going to pick up was NHL since i am a huge fan of hockey, but what else is really good that defines the ps3?

crainger
10-08-09, 05:57 AM
Uncharted and the soon to be released Uncharted 2. From the reviews Uncharted 2 could easily be game of the year and even looks to floor Crysis in terms of looks too.

If you like party games, Buzz TV is awesome. Supports 8 players on the couch, good mix of trivia and has downloadable content in the form of official quiz packs and thousands of user made quizzes.

|MaguS|
10-08-09, 07:21 AM
Thanks all for explanation

One last question, what are the top must have games for the ps3 that you cannot get for the PC (for example i already own batman arkham asylum and GTA 4 for pc), or just suck as ports for PC, i love all types of games, one game i was definitely going to pick up was NHL since i am a huge fan of hockey, but what else is really good that defines the ps3?

Infamous, MGS4, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon Souls, Pixel Junk Series, Heavenly Sword, Folklore and Rachet and Clank.

Ghosthunter
10-08-09, 10:14 AM
Cool thanks for suggestions guys!

newparad1gm
10-08-09, 10:22 AM
Infamous, MGS4, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon Souls, Pixel Junk Series, Heavenly Sword, Folklore and Rachet and Clank.

I'd like to add Killzone 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and MLB 09 The Show to that list too.

Marvel_us
10-08-09, 12:38 PM
Uncharted 1 and 2 should be at the front of that list.

NoWayDude
10-09-09, 05:11 PM
Uncharted most definitely, and Uncharted 2, or so the reviews say.

Mr. Hunt
10-09-09, 07:02 PM
I'd like to add Killzone 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and MLB 09 The Show to that list too.

And I would take away Valkyria Chronicles and Folklore. But add in a little Resistance (1 and 2), Flower, Fat Princess and you might want to go ahead and preorder the God of War collection so that you can, 1.) play the first two GoW games, and 2.) Play the demo for GoW3, which should be the awesomest game ever.

crainger
10-10-09, 07:36 AM
Too much reading in Folklore... Really, what is the ****ing point of BD if you don't fill the disc with voice acting? FFS.

NarcissistZero
10-10-09, 07:43 AM
Too much reading in Folklore... Really, what is the ****ing point of BD if you don't fill the disc with voice acting? FFS.

Hahaha... agreed. The odd thing is they had voice actors for some parts, then none for other parts. That was a great game visually and such, but could have been a lot better with voice acting... and deeper gameplay.

NoWayDude
10-10-09, 07:58 AM
Wypeout HD, as we are onto it.

Pixel Junkie monsters is also good fun