PDA

View Full Version : Achievement whoring Can Increase Sales

nekrosoft13
10-08-09, 11:15 AM
"The Achievement hunter, who's going to make purchase decisions around the Achievements per minute to ratio - he's probably buying ten to twenty titles a year, or at least playing that many," Pitchford told us. "He's playing a lot. So he's a very frequent customer, and you want to be in that pile. That's just business."

"The time it takes is minimal," we were told, "because you're designing Achievements anyway, and you can probably affect your sales by something like 10 and 40 thousand units. If you're talking about a triple-A game selling between 1 and 2.5 million units. You're talking tens of thousands of units of impact there."

"Unfortunately most people in the industry don't think through it that much. You have designers designing achievements, and they're the worst."

this is just sad

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=14388

ViN86
10-08-09, 11:56 AM
One word for achievement whores: Gamefly :lol:

I know people who rent the most ridiculous games and play through them for a few hours just so they can get 500 gamer points or something on XBL. I would say "low hanging fruit"-achievements contribute more to rentals, not necessarily sales. I don't think many people can justify $60 just for some more gamer points lol.

Mr. Hunt
10-08-09, 12:03 PM
Honestly I feel like this is why Terminator Salvation did anything. If I suspect somebody of being a trophy *****, I just look at their list and if I see Terminator Salvation it is confirmed. That game has like 14 trophies, but 13 (or somewhere around there) are gold, and then the last one is a platinum. And all that is required is that you finish the game on any difficulty. So yeah... trophy whoring ftl.

I know Vin will try to call me a trophy ***** because I have 800+ trophies, but I just game a lot so screw him.

sytaylor
10-08-09, 02:51 PM
There is something satisfying about the sound and feel of getting achievements, even the ones they throw at you for being able to breathe for one hour while playing.

Tyr-Sog
10-09-09, 09:35 AM
There is something satisfying about the sound and feel of getting achievements, even the ones they throw at you for being able to breathe for one hour while playing.

qft

it's like getting a purple