PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an ssd for their primary drive?

Jon
10-08-09, 06:45 PM
I'm having massive problems at the moment using an OCZ Vertex 120gb as my main drive for Windows 7. Whilst multitasking like installing some demos / surfing, etc the whole computer freezes with the hard disc light on solid. At first I thought it had locked solid, I'm still on the desktop, but my pointer becomes an hourglass and then freezes completely. But if I leave it for 10-15 mins (hard disc light solid all this time) the computer comes back to life and everything is fine.

Swapping back to a normal sata drive I have no issue whatsoever. Can anyone help me? Or at least confirm they are running windows 7 on an ssd without issue.

$n][pErMan
10-08-09, 08:28 PM
Is the drive new?

Bman212121
10-08-09, 09:26 PM
Running fine here with Windows 7. (Intel Drive) What board do you have it paired with?

I'd definitely check out the OCZ forums as they might have some ideas.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

Roliath
10-08-09, 10:50 PM
Firmware update maybe?

I run my gaming box off of my 3 80gb raid 0 setup, and haven't noticed studdering etc..
However I run Vista 64, not Win 7.

a12ctic
10-09-09, 12:27 AM
Firmware update maybe?

I run my gaming box off of my 3 80gb raid 0 setup, and haven't noticed studdering etc..
However I run Vista 64, not Win 7.

The Intel ssd's are in another class that the OCZ vertex. OP, do you know if your card has the indirix (sp?) controller, or is it from before that?

CaptNKILL
10-09-09, 03:43 AM
The Intel ssd's are in another class that the OCZ vertex. OP, do you know if your card has the indirix (sp?) controller, or is it from before that?

The Vertex uses an Indilinx, and it competes very well with the Intel SSD and beats it in some cases.

It also shouldn't have any of the problems related to freezing on the JMicron based drives.

The OP's problem is either a bad drive or a compatibility issue with some other part of his system.

Just a thought... It could just be an issue with whichever SATA controller you've got it connected to now. You may want to try connecting your SSD to a different SATA port. If you have some that are different colors, try those, they'll most likely use a different controller.

Jon
10-09-09, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions. The drive is brand new, in fact its the 2nd brand new vertex I've tried (I sent the first back because it froze also).

Running fine here with Windows 7. (Intel Drive) What board do you have it paired with?

Just out of curiosity, what driver / version are you using for it? I've tried the Microsoft driver which is dated 2006!? And I've tried the latest nvidia drivers (the board is an nforce 780i I think).

I've flashed the firmware to the latest version (1.30) and it seems worse, but that could just be my imagination. As far as I know it is the latest controller (Indilinx barefoot or summat like that). I've tried it on different sata ports but still the same problem.

It was really bad last night. I tried to install the RE5 benchmark to at least see something work. I installed it 4 times in total and each time the install was corrupted and it wouldn't run. Eventually I nervously switched back again to a normal sata and everything fine again.

CaptNKILL
10-09-09, 04:21 AM
Did you do a fresh install of the OS on the SSD or are you using an image or a backup from another installation?

Also, could it be the SATA cable? Make sure to use whichever cable is working on your hard drive.

EDIT: One last thing. Try disconnecting your blu-ray drive and all other SATA devices. I doubt that will do anything, but you never know.

Bman212121
10-09-09, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions. The drive is brand new, in fact its the 2nd brand new vertex I've tried (I sent the first back because it froze also).

Just out of curiosity, what driver / version are you using for it? I've tried the Microsoft driver which is dated 2006!? And I've tried the latest nvidia drivers (the board is an nforce 780i I think).

I've flashed the firmware to the latest version (1.30) and it seems worse, but that could just be my imagination. As far as I know it is the latest controller (Indilinx barefoot or summat like that). I've tried it on different sata ports but still the same problem.

It was really bad last night. I tried to install the RE5 benchmark to at least see something work. I installed it 4 times in total and each time the install was corrupted and it wouldn't run. Eventually I nervously switched back again to a normal sata and everything fine again.

I'll have to check when I get back home, I know I didn't use any drivers to install with, but I'm not certain if I installed the nforce package from Nvidias website. I think I might have.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_win764_15.51.html

In your BIOS do you have those ports set for RAID or is it disabled completely? I disabled RAID before I used my SSD.

d2thez
10-09-09, 04:05 PM
Because your nVidia chipset does not natively support true AHCI, your disk controller only works in IDE mode or RAID mode.

You should definitily make sure you have RAID disabled (unless you are running RAID somewhere) and try a few of nVidia's sata_ide drivers. The newest series is the 11.xxx available in the 15.45 or 15.51 packages. If those fail, you can try older IDE drivers from the 15.25 packages (10.xx series) or if that fails, the built in Windows Standard IDE controller driver.

Bman212121
10-09-09, 06:06 PM
I'm using the nforce 15.35 driver set. The actual Nvidia Serial ata driver is 11.1.0.23 dated 4/29/2009

d2thez
10-09-09, 11:15 PM
Thenmy suggestion would be to first try try the 11.1.0.30 (XP) or 11.1.0.33 (Vista/Win7) and if that doesn't work, try the Windows Standard IDE controller driver.

Jon
10-10-09, 10:39 AM
Did another completely fresh install (its always from a windows cd btw, I've not used an image). Used the latest nforce drivers. I disabled indexing, system restore, defrag, etc. Installed COD5... froze for 20 minutes after install but came back to life. Installed cpu-z... froze for > 30 minutes so I turned it off. Rebooted, windows trys to fix the disk, can't and shuts down... another install bites the dust.

The only thing I can't figure is why when I look in drives it says OCZ Vertex ATA driver date June 2006!!?? How can the driver for the SSD be that old!? Also, I think it was using disk.sys as the driver so I guess its just a generic microsoft driver for any disc.

Oh and the only things connected at the mo are the CD drive and the ssd... both of which I need LOL.

Jon
10-11-09, 11:52 AM
I used wiper this time before installing windows. It installed windows in a record time, I continued to install nforce chipset drivers and nvidia display drivers and turn off indexing, defrag, system restore, etc. Installed COD5 (for the first time I could actually surf the net whilst it installed!). COD5 installed in a record time and I clicked finished. The system froze with the hard disc light on solid for 15 minutes!

Once it had done whatever it was doing, I rebooted just in case and then tried to install cpu-z. 30 minutes of solid hard disc later, I turned it off. Switched it back on, to be informed the disc was too corrupted and my only option was to shutdown!

Bman212121
10-11-09, 01:12 PM
So do you know for sure what board your using it on?

d2thez
10-11-09, 01:35 PM
Have you told us what OS you are using? And if you are running a nForce 780i board, is it running the newest bios?