PDA

View Full Version : Cheap PC's... need advice

Tuork
10-08-09, 10:03 PM
So my dad has this small business and he's thinking of adding a POS to it. He'll be needing two computers, one for the POS and one for his office.

We're basically talking about some pretty basic budget PC's. No uber mega 1GB GPU's or anything of the sort. I haven't been keeping up with PC tech for a while. I know i7 and i5 are the sh!t, but clearly there's no need for that.

Would you guys be so kind as to recommend some good stable chipsets and CPU's worth looking into?

Many thanks :)

bob saget
10-08-09, 10:20 PM
If you need something for the office, I would recommend strolling into staples or best buy, grabbing their cheapest desktop, and you are good to go.
You are not going to see any difference with a budget computer and an i7 running excel and word.

a12ctic
10-08-09, 11:20 PM
Linux + ARM.

You won't regret it.

No electric bills, cheaper start up cost, and just as fast for such tasks.

crainger
10-09-09, 12:09 AM
I've had really great experiences with AMD and Intels entry level CPUs and Chipsets. Don't go Linux though unless you really have to. Most off the shelf POS software like MYOB is Windows based.

I bought a Tri Core AMD system for under 500AUD that's including HDDs RAM, Gigabyte board, CPU, PSU, Case and Twin HD Tuner for my HTPC and it's never crashed, and runs 24/7.

nrdstrm
10-09-09, 12:40 AM
I hate to say this, but for this type of PC, go through Dell...If you really want to save money, you can get their refurb stuff really cheap ($100-150) and they will do the job just fine...If you have a bit more to spend you can get decent PC's from them for a few hundred...

Nitz Walsh
10-09-09, 03:43 PM
For a POS PC, I would just get an Atom-based nettop. The Aspire Revo has a dual-core Atom 330 (1.6ghz) + the Nvidia ION, Vista home Premium with free upgrade to 7 of course. You don't "need" the Ion for the POS software, but it at least makes Aero run very smoothly so it helps the overall feel of the PC. Comes with a wireless keyboard/mouse, stand, vesa mounting (so you can just stick it on the back of the monitor), and even a USB camera on a stand.

We've used them here at the office for signage and some duties in our kiosks, they're $400 Cndn so you can likely get them for under that. Really nice lil machines, of course being Atom they're basically silent and low power.

For a general office use PC, look into the micro-towers like the HP Slimlines or again, Acer makes a very nice slimline PC that's incredibly cheap as well (~$450). The one I saw at staples had a Pentium 5200/4 gigs/640GB HD for $420 Cndn. Has a slot for a LP PCI-16X graphics card as well (as does the HP, but the Acer is a little smaller than HP's newest units). No need to go for a full sized desktop in either situation.

Edit: Here's that Acer, only $370 :http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9361148&type=product&id=1218091192028

The 8200 on-board video isn't fantastic but it can handle Aero better than Intel integrated at least. As mentioned though it does have a PCI-E 16X (and 1x) slot, so you can always slap a cheap LP card in there - hell with the forthcoming offerings from Nvidia and ATI in the likely LP space, you can even game on the damn thing. :)

Bman212121
10-09-09, 05:42 PM
For a POS PC, I would just get an Atom-based nettop. The Aspire Revo has a dual-core Atom 330 (1.6ghz) + the Nvidia ION, Vista home Premium with free upgrade to 7 of course. You don't "need" the Ion for the POS software, but it at least makes Aero run very smoothly so it helps the overall feel of the PC. Comes with a wireless keyboard/mouse, stand, vesa mounting (so you can just stick it on the back of the monitor), and even a USB camera on a stand.

We've used them here at the office for signage and some duties in our kiosks, they're $400 Cndn so you can likely get them for under that. Really nice lil machines, of course being Atom they're basically silent and low power.

For a general office use PC, look into the micro-towers like the HP Slimlines or again, Acer makes a very nice slimline PC that's incredibly cheap as well (~$450). The one I saw at staples had a Pentium 5200/4 gigs/640GB HD for $420 Cndn. Has a slot for a LP PCI-16X graphics card as well (as does the HP, but the Acer is a little smaller than HP's newest units). No need to go for a full sized desktop in either situation.

Not a bad idea for a POS. They don't do a whole lot so they should be up to the task.

Tuork
10-09-09, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of parts/systems I can get my hands on locally. I'll research a bit and report back.

crainger
10-10-09, 06:40 AM
Also check with dedicated POS suppliers, often they'll do a complete hardware/software package and give you on site support for both. Depends on how mission critical the machines will be.

Tuork
10-10-09, 10:51 AM
Also check with dedicated POS suppliers, often they'll do a complete hardware/software package and give you on site support for both. Depends on how mission critical the machines will be.

Not too critical, TBH.
It'll prolly be much cheaper if my dad only gets the software, and I take care of hardware.

Again, this is a very small business. Nothing too fancy required.

I'm going to see if I can find an atom-based solution. Cheap and energy efficient sounds the way to go.