PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks?

snowmanwithahat
10-10-09, 02:33 AM
So I'm curious... what's your opinion on them?

I was pretty upset when I read a post on tomshardware about a bad experience with them... personally I love mine though. Performance / price really is as expected but 10 hours of battery life even with it running on windows 7... just godly.

Anyone else own one?

Also... it's an Asus Eee 1005ha - with the N280 Intel Atom and 2gb of Gskill DDR2-667 memory... the 1gb was still cutting it but it'd hit 90% memory usage under full load... not something I wanted to deal with when the upgrade can just cost $20

bob saget
10-10-09, 02:41 AM
The deal with netbooks is portability. Thats all. Normal office tasks and portability.

snowmanwithahat
10-10-09, 02:51 AM
The deal with netbooks is portability. Thats all. Normal office tasks and portability.

Right... which is what all users should expect... I shudder to think that someone would buy it for a full-time computer (I do know some people that have made that decision...)

I just can't imagine beating the $300-400 price-point with something that can last as long away from the wall.

CaptNKILL
10-10-09, 02:54 AM
I think its an interesting idea but I don't think I'd have much use for one personally.

If they were available in the $200 range without having horrible specs I'd consider getting one, but I think for what they are you're pretty much paying for something that performs like a computer from 2002 with a tiny keyboard, no optical drive, tiny screen and no interesting features over standard laptops (touch screen, buttons suitable for gaming, integrated GPS, etc...).

Good battery life is nice... but unless you spend a lot of time traveling and can find something worth while to do on a system that small (I can't imagine gaming with a 2" touch pad and or typing documents with a keyboard the size of my hand) I don't see a lot of reason for them.

I still think they're neat, just because they're so small, efficient and portable, but they just don't really do anything that makes them worth the money to me. I can get a significantly faster system for $400-$500 with a much larger screen, an optical drive and expansion slots and all I have to do is plug it in more often.

Now if I could get an ION based netbook with a dual core Atom, 2Gb of memory, an SSD, built in GPS and a rotating tablet-PC style touch screen... I'd definitely spend $400-$500 on one.

Never going to happen though.

EDIT: Interesting... I didn't realize Asus had something similar to this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GCR04Y

The Eee PC Touch is basically a low end netbook with a rotating touch screen. Pretty neat but the specs are just too low for the price.

a12ctic
10-10-09, 07:42 AM
Netbooks will be phased out with products like the Dell Inspiron 11z and MSI x600/x400 CULV/Neo based products. This should make them perform more along the lines of a standard laptop.

mullet
10-10-09, 08:25 AM
Netbooks will be phased out with products like the Dell Inspiron 11z and MSI x600/x400 CULV/Neo based products. This should make them perform more along the lines of a standard laptop.

You are high.

snowmanwithahat
10-10-09, 09:46 AM
Capn.... I was unaware of that product too... it's pretty sweet

it looks like I'm the only one who had picked one up on these forums... not surprising considering how perfomance oriented this place is and how... bad they are at anything more than file encryption. :lol:

Maverick123w
10-10-09, 10:36 AM
I actually just bought that same netbook for my wife(asus 1005ha), though mine has the n270. It's for her birthday so I have to wait a week to give it to her, but I decided to open it up last night and start to set it up for her and I was pleasantly surprised with how well the little thing runs!

It booted up very quickly and seemed to perform very well. I could watch youtube videos in standard def just fine, though hd was choppy, and it was just all around snappy.

How does it run windows 7? I may put 7 on it for her sometime in the future.

Edit**

BTW did swapping out the 1gig with a 2 really make that big of a difference?

methimpikehoses
10-10-09, 11:03 AM
I have an Asus eePC and its great. Super lightweight, good battery life, plenty of performance for office apps and surfing the web. No optical drive, and can't really game on it are the only drawbacks.

mullet
10-10-09, 01:16 PM
I really would like a netbook. I just saw this in my Popular Science mag. What do you guys think about it? It runs Android.
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5it/index.html?country=us&lang=en&p=guidedtour

snowmanwithahat
10-10-09, 02:22 PM
I actually just bought that same netbook for my wife(asus 1005ha), though mine has the n270. It's for her birthday so I have to wait a week to give it to her, but I decided to open it up last night and start to set it up for her and I was pleasantly surprised with how well the little thing runs!

It booted up very quickly and seemed to perform very well. I could watch youtube videos in standard def just fine, though hd was choppy, and it was just all around snappy.

How does it run windows 7? I may put 7 on it for her sometime in the future.

Edit**

BTW did swapping out the 1gig with a 2 really make that big of a difference?

With windows 7 I was coming close to using all the memory. I wouldn't recommend jumping up to 2 with XP really because it just doens't need it... even in windows 7 I have yet to break the 1gb barrier but I have come very very close (950 MB) while doing homework which involved writing a .pdf, reading one, multiple IE sessions and Microsoft Visio being used...

I wouldn't say you'd need 2gb to make it effective even with Windows 7.

Also notes on installing it... it's super easy. The hardest part was getting the bootloader to load stuff right afterwards... I technically have 3 partitions to boot from ( 7 / Linux / 1005ha recovery partition)... I had to reload the GRUB bootloader but that's completely independant of windows 7... also installing from a usb thumb drive is really fast

The battery life went down ever so slightly... but not enough to notice, you have to run benchmarks to see the battery difference lol.

Thunderbolt56
10-12-09, 11:26 AM
I thought about getting one for me here @ work for personal use where I really only surf and do some email stuff, then akin to CaptnKill, decided my 15.4" 2004 laptop would still do that job just fine.

Currently, I'm considering one for my wife as well. She complains all the time about using her slow-ass pc to pay the bills, check her email, etc,. She used to use my laptop, but I'm confiscating that back and am thinking of a netbook.

nrdstrm
10-12-09, 03:43 PM
I plan on buying one once there are more dual core options available (according to my friend at NCIX, should start seeing quite a few in November).

I just want it for browsing the web, watching hulu/youtube, and light office stuff. No gaming on it at all, but I still want dual core. My cousin has an Acer and it's a tad slow...

Maverick123w
10-12-09, 08:42 PM
If you take off the bloat the current crop are very quick at what their meant to do.

six_storm
10-12-09, 09:23 PM
I love my netbook (MSI Wind U100). It's portable, light-weight, awesome battery life (9-cell) and it's a lot more handy than my old Dell 15" Vostro (which I sold). Windows 7 runs great and I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing I wish my netbook had was NVIDIA Ion instead of crappy Intel IGP.

Tuork
10-12-09, 11:11 PM
Definitely interesting little machines. In my opinion, ION is the way to go in order for them to be a bit more compatible, multimedia-wise.

Other than that, we're talking about simple little machines for your every day tasks. No supercomputer/gaming rig here. Also, 10hour battery life is pretty awesome.

I've been tempted to get one for a while, but I can't really justify it. My current XPS M1530 satisfies all my needs. Granted it's not as portable as a netbook, it sure as hell is a lot more powerful.

snowmanwithahat
10-13-09, 08:39 AM
six_storm really said it all.... I replaced a very weak HP with an integrated 6150 for a video card... the netbook is sadly roughly the same performance, was half the price, and boasts literally 4x the battery life. I can't say how they compare to good notebooks because I guess all the ones I've had are crap... but at the time that upgrade was a no brainer... either have a notebook that lasts 1.5 hours and the performance sucks, or sell it, make money, buy a netbook that lasts 8+ hours with equal performance... I broke even when I sold that laptop for the netbook too... go figure

nekrosoft13
10-13-09, 06:45 PM
wow, awesome deal

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4833653&Sku=M975-11001

six_storm
10-14-09, 08:21 PM
wow, awesome deal

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4833653&Sku=M975-11001

The only thing about that netbook is out of all the reviews I read, the HP Minis were the worst netbooks out of the bunch. Mainly because of the keyboard size. The main reason I chose the MSI Wind was because it had the best keyboard size.

qube
10-15-09, 01:59 AM
Netbook maker ASUS has two new Eee PC models coming, both sporting larger 12.1" displays. ASUS Eee PC 1201N is the more interesting of the two and it's not because of the size of the screen but the hardware inside. The leaked specifications, published by Eeepc.it, hints that ASUS has installed more power with this model than we're accustomed to with the Eee PC series.

ASUS Eee PC 1201N is first of all one of few netbooks sporting a dual-core Atom processor. The documents were taken down per request of ASUS but according to liliputing.com ASUS Eee PC 1201N will ship with an Atom N330 processor and NVIDIA's Ion (GeForce 9400M) chipset.
http://www.nordichardware.com/image3.php?id=9220
With both an Atom N330 CPU and NVIDIA's Ion chipset there is potential for a relatively good performance, even playback of 1080p material. According to the specifications the battery time shouldn't suffer all too much from this since the 6-cell battery will keep online for 8 hours.

The complete specifications can be found below, but nothing is official or confirmed by ASUS yet.
Asus Eee PC 1201N

* Display: 12.1 inch, 1366 x 768 pixels
* CPU: 1.6GHz Intel Atom N330 dual core
* Graphics & chipset: NVIDIA ION (GeForce 9400M)
* Memory: 3GB DDR2
* Storage: 320GB HDD + 500GB web-based storage
* Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n WiFI, Bluetooth, Ethernet
* I/O: HDMI, VGA, 3 USB 2.0 ports, SD card slot, mic, headphones
* Webcam: 0.3MP
* Touchpad: Supports multitouch gestures
* Battery: 6 cells, 8 hours
* Colors: Black, blue, or red
* Dimensions: 11.7″ x 8.2″ x 1.3″
* Weight: 3.1 pounds

Asus Eee PC 1201HA

* Display: 12.1 inch, 1366 x 768 pixels