PDA

View Full Version : Any video card suggestions?

TECH_PC
06-27-03, 02:48 AM
As you can see on my sig, I have a pretty cruddy computer compared to all you guys (yes I saw the "official post your pc thread"). I am considering on getting a new video card, but since my computer doesn't have an AGP slot, I'm forced to buy PCI. I've been thinking about getting the Nvidia 5200 PCI card, but I heard that the 5200 just doesn't cut it compared with other cards. Any suggestions? Any cards I might not know of other than the 5200?

Sazar
06-27-03, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by TECH_PC
As you can see on my sig, I have a pretty cruddy computer compared to all guys (yes I saw the "official post your pc thread"). I am considering on getting a new video card, but since my computer doesn't have an AGP slot, I'm forced to buy PCI. I've been thinking about getting the Nvidia 5200 PCI card, but I heard that the 5200 just doesn't cut it compared with other cards. Any suggestions? Any cards I might not know of other than the 5200?

might be more prudent for you to upgrade the other parts of your computer as well :)

mobo to agp standard if you can... rather than going the more expensive video card route... :)

pci slot gfx cards are not going to offer nearly the juice agp cards will afford you...

Gator
06-27-03, 06:17 AM
PCI video cards really dont cut it anymore. I'm assuming youare on a tight budget, so if you must go PCI then get a Visiontek 9100 PCI or a GFFX 5200 PCI but make sure it's the 128-bit memory version NOT the 64bit.

However, you are better off getting a CHEAP motherboard replacement, one that has at least AGP4x, and then pick yourself any video card you like. But the other problem with this is you have a Celeron and SDRAM so honestly no game is gonna run great for you even with a great video card. :(

What games did you wanna run?

Here is the cheapest but best way for you to build a new gaming rig:

-cheapest NForce2 board you can find
-AMD Barton 2500
-Crucial 512 DDR2700
-R9500Pro or GF4TI4200 or GFFX5600
-Try to find an Antec or Enermax case with PSU, because both those company make great PSU's but you'll save money when buying the case+PSU. You don't want a cheapo PSU.

TECH_PC
06-27-03, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

A part of me has been thinking, well it might be better to just rebuild my computer. The other part has been thinking, maybe I could just wait and see what other PCI video cards will be released in the future.

Right now I'm running:
Medal of Honor
Black and White
Unreal Tournament 2003 (which my Radeon 7500 runs pretty well on highest surprisingly)
Splinter Cell
Freelancer

I plan to purchase:
Half life - Which I know that my Radeon 7500 won't be even close to handling
Doom 3 - Same as Half Life, maybe even more.
Unreal Tournament 2004 - Odds are its not going to run very well on my 7500

Got another question for you guys, if I replace my MOBO no my computer with a P4 HT and different type of RAM like say DDR PC2700, will everything I have on my Hard Drive load up normally? Like Windows XP and all programs that I have installed, just like if I did nothing to my computer.

jAkUp
06-27-03, 12:38 PM
there probably wont be very many pci video cards released that are any good... pci video cards are dying, and agp will soon move to pci express... then agp will turn the fate of the pci video card.

as for your mobo question.. .its really a toss up. after a mobo upgrade its usually best to format your entire system, because you could have big problems... all the device drivers and stuff.... and everything thing will still be on your hard drive... such as games, and whatever. but you will be lucky if everything works correctly.

TECH_PC
06-27-03, 01:05 PM
Ah, gotcha. Well it looks like I'm going to have to buy a seperate HD then. I might just install my old HD in the slave bay then.:D

The Baron
06-27-03, 01:13 PM
As for the mobo question--no chance in hell it would work. You would definitely have to reformat.

And PCI video cards are all but dead. It's a much better idea to do exactly what Gator said and buy all of that instead of trying to increase your performance through a video card alone.

CaptNKILL
06-27-03, 03:58 PM
Well, I LOVE to shop around for hardware, so... HERE YOU GO!!!
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishList.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=344433

This comp is not only FAST to begin with, but it has some SERIOUS overclocking potential! The 2500+ is a great overclocker and the 9600 Pro (ATI) has been showing lots of potential in reviews. Add 512Mb of PC-2700 (Apacer brand, which has very good ratings at NewEgg), an Epox 8RDA+ (with great built in sound), a nice Antec Case with a 350W PSU, and an 80Gig Maxtor DM+ 9 with 8Mb cache.... for $570!!!!!!!!!

I dont know how much your willing to spend so I chose a comp thats right in the middle, price wise. There are better (and worse) video cards and mobos available if you dont like this setup, but everything else should be great.

ragejg
06-27-03, 04:12 PM
PCI Vidcards be NOT DEAD!

... there are positively 128bit memory Radeon9100's... I think they're in 64mb variety, maybe there's 128's as well.

Someone with a fast P4 was gettin 7-8k... I think @ amdforums...

I know, you don't have a p4 type of system... but it is still fairly robust...

An R9100 (from what I've heard) kicks the crap out of every pci card ever released... A decent improvement over R9000, and kicks the buttocks of GF4mx, R7500, and GF2mx...

:D

TECH_PC
06-27-03, 09:14 PM
Wow $570, thats is pretty cheap considering what you get with it. Thanks for the info CaptNKILL.

wow, I didn't know that ATI had a next gen card available in PCI format. I thought the highest ATI was still the 7500. I'll definitely look into that card. Thanks guys.:D

CaptNKILL
06-27-03, 10:36 PM
What about the 5200 PCI?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=14-133-068&refer=pricewatch

$107

It doesnt say if the RAM is 64 or 128bit, but it has 16Gb\sec memory bandwidth. Plus, its 128Mb.

Doesnt look bad at all. I wonder if there are any recent reviews compairing PCI cards.

Grechie
06-28-03, 11:19 PM
watever you do pal, do not buy an asus FX5200 card, youll get choppy performance and i got only 4000 marks on my rig :(

ragejg
06-29-03, 01:45 AM
there are reviews.... that's why i said the 9100 sp@nked everything else at pretty much everything... I'll look up some url's in the am.... me too tired right now... *yawn...

TECH_PC
06-29-03, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the info Grechie.

I'm very interested in the visiontek 9100, thanks for the urls ragejg :D.

PenguinJim
06-30-03, 02:10 AM
I'm surprised no-one mentioned getting an nForce2 with integrated GeForce4MX graphics. I know it's only a mild improvement over a Radeon7500, but you'd have a new motherboard with an AGP8X slot. Just get a cheap XP2400+ to throw in with some DDR (quick! prices are escalating!) and you've got a nice new powerhouse ready to take a nice new graphics card when you're ready to upgrade again.

And The Baron... there IS a chance a new mobo would work without reformatting. People have had success with this in the past (Unless your comment was literal, and there was no way it would work in Hell. Might do on Earth, though). But I myself STRONGLY recommend reformatting after a mobo transplant, as do all sane people. You should format every now and again anyway, this gives you a great excuse :D.