PDA

View Full Version : CPU and Mobo (platform) upgrade for Mustang

MustangSVT
10-13-09, 12:36 PM
Hey all. I'm looking at doing a upgrade to my current computer. Here is my current specs:

Core2 Q6600 - B3 rev, OC'ed to 3.2 GHz (recently swapped to from Core2 Duo E6400)
Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev1.0 motherboard (over 3 years old)
2x 2048MB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-12
ATI HD 4890 OC'ed to 975/1075

I mainly game at 1920x1200 and 5040x1050 (triple display). I like what my performance in games at 1920x1200 is right now with my rig, but I would like to improve my performance at 5040x1050 for certain games, such as GTR Evolution. Also left 4 dead 2 is coming out, I'd like to play that at 5040x1050 smoothly.

Here's a list of options I'm thinking about in the next two months or so.

CPU/Mobo
Core i5 750 + Gigabyte P55-UD4P mobo (supports SLI & CF)
4GB of DDR3 memory
Noctua heatsink

Core i7 920 + Gigabyte X58 UD3R mobo
6GB of DDR3 memory
Noctua heatsink

Gigabyte P45 motherboard
- no need for new CPU/mem/heatsink

Core i5 750 + Lucid Hydra mobo? (when's this coming out?
4GB of DDR3
Noctua heatsink

AMD alternative - haven't really kept up with AMD, they got something good for the price?

Video Card Upgrade
- additional 4890 to put in CrossFire
- maybe nVIDIA GT300 card, but it will probably be very expensive

All in all, I don't want to spend over about $750 to $800 CAD for all of this.

At the moment, setup #1 would cost me approximately $600 CAD, and setup #2 would cost me approximately $780 CAD. This is without including the additional 4890 video card.

Setup #3 would cost me probably about $150 CAD.

Right now, I'm waiting for the Lucid Hydra thing to come out and see what the big deal is. What do ya'll think, any suggestions? In terms of price, #3 is most attractive to me :o. My main issue/problem is that I can't really find any reviews where someone runs triplehead and tests out the FPS at 5040x1050 so I can see how good CrossFire is at that resolution, or whether nVIDIA is much ebtter or such (or wheter CPU makes an improvement).

Redeemed
10-13-09, 01:05 PM
If you're on a budget AMD has some incredible CPUs. I'm not sure what you use your rig for out side of gaming. If it's a strictly gaming rig, near any mainstream CPU and higher will be sufficient (from both Intel and AMD). I just built a PhenomII X2 550 based rig for my older sister. Sucks for gaming as it's using the integrated HD3300 but just dinking around on the desktop and such, watching movies, making movies, editing photos (not talking photoshop here) it's incredibly fast.

Built a rig for my bro maybe... a year ago? Rocking the Pentium E2140 with one of my old 9600GTs and again... at the desktop it's blazin' fast. He does need a new hard drive however, as he's using a 200GB Maxtor SATA150 from probably darn near 8 years ago. :lol: Bought it way back when I built his first computer for him.

Anyhow, I said all that just to demonstrate that for basic day-to-day stuff, near any dual core CPU and let's say a good 4GB of RAM will be far more than sufficient. For gaming, even if you just rock that one 4890 the rig will be fast. Add a second and it should game incredibly well.

That said, if you want ultra snappy responsiveness not just in-game, but doing everything else... you'd be more than satisfied with any recent quad core from AMD or Intel. Pair it with a good 8GB of RAM and you'd have a super fast system. And for cheap if you go with AMD. Price some of the new PhenomII X4s out. I'm not sure where you'd be buying from so it's hard for me to put together a good list of items. Here in the states most of us go through newegg and I can link that, but I've already gathered you're not from the states. :)

Anyhow, if you go Intel, I strongly encourage that you *not* go with an i5 due to the lack of new CPUs for that platform. Go with the cheapest LGA1366 you can as the mobo and RAM will last you *a long frikken' time*. :lol: If you can't afford that, maybe shoot for an AMD setup, but be certain to go with socket AM3 and DDR3. Should still be considerably cheaper than LGA1366 while netting very comparable performance across the board. This will also last you *a long frikken' time*. :lol:

And if you can't do either of those two options, just upgrade your mobo and keep your current proc and RAM. Maybe add another 4890- or ditch your 4890 and rock a single or dual 5870s.

Anywho, where do you plan to purchase from? Let me know and I can price some good upgrades for ya'. :)

MustangSVT
10-13-09, 01:24 PM
The two places I will be buying from are www.ncix.com and www.memoryexpress.com. Both of them are canadian websites. Memoryexpress is in fact in my town, so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping and no wait time (if it's in stock). Ncix usually ships to my house in about 5 days at the most.

I use my rig primarily for gaming and web browsing, I don't do a whole lot else on it, sometimes watch movies through it, but it's fine for that. I mainly want to improve performance of my PC in a few games that I play at 5040x1050 (or 1920x1200 sometimes) so that I can use Anti-Aliasing in them without sacrificing too much performance.

Redeemed
10-13-09, 01:29 PM
The two places I will be buying from are www.ncix.com and www.memoryexpress.com. Both of them are canadian websites. Memoryexpress is in fact in my town, so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping and no wait time (if it's in stock). Ncix usually ships to my house in about 5 days at the most.

I use my rig primarily for gaming and web browsing, I don't do a whole lot else on it, sometimes watch movies through it, but it's fine for that. I mainly want to improve performance of my PC in a few games that I play at 5040x1050 (or 1920x1200 sometimes) so that I can use Anti-Aliasing in them without sacrificing too much performance.

If you're satisfied with your system's performance as-is, save for a few games, then it seems your best option is to upgrade your mobo. You might even sell that 4890 and Matrox card, use that money to get a single 5870 as it will out perform your 4890, while offering the EyeFinity triple display support. Your call on that last part... it's what I'd recommend though.

That Q6600, even stock, is a blazing fast processor. I was running one for a while, never once did I find it inadequate. Yeah, I'd say keep that proc, new mobo, sell both the 4890 and your Matrox card and get a single 5870. The 5870 supports up to 3 simultaneous displays while being faster than your 4890... that one card will do everything and then some that your 4890 + Matrox does currently. :) It'll also free up space in your rig.

Redeemed
10-13-09, 01:32 PM
That's expensive! (http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=5870) Those are the 5870s... I don't know what that'd convert to in USD. Here, we can get a 5870 for under $400 USD. If the price, once converted, is comparable, I stand by my above post. :) Otherwise, you might be best off just getting a new mobo. :lol:

lee63
10-13-09, 01:50 PM
# 2 ;)

MustangSVT
10-13-09, 01:55 PM
That's expensive! (http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=5870) Those are the 5870s... I don't know what that'd convert to in USD. Here, we can get a 5870 for under $400 USD. If the price, once converted, is comparable, I stand by my above post. :) Otherwise, you might be best off just getting a new mobo. :lol:

The price for 5870 here appears to be about $430 USD over here.

Redeemed
10-13-09, 02:00 PM
The price for 5870 here appears to be about $430 USD over here.

Yeah, I'd just consider adding a second 4890 *if the price is reasonable*. Will your current mobo allow for CrossFire? If so, keep it and grab another 4890. If not, get the one you mentioned, plus the 4890.

bob saget
10-13-09, 02:02 PM
# 2 ;)

+1

Also ask NCIX to pricematch newegg.ca They did for me ;)

MustangSVT
10-13-09, 02:28 PM
I haven't really decided anything yet, but for the moment, after reading your guys' criticism of the Core i5, my gut instinct is that I should wait a while for some sales at NCIX (or maybe some 2nd hand sales) and if I can get the P45 mobo I want and a second 4890 for around $300 CAD, then I should go for it. If I can't, then I won't be buying anything. The Core i7 is just too expensive for me and I get this feeling that it wouldn't improve my performance at 5040x1050 at all. As the 57xx and 58xx series become more available, I think I should be able to snag a 4890 for like $100-$125, same goes for P45 mobo.

Redeemed
10-13-09, 02:56 PM
I haven't really decided anything yet, but for the moment, after reading your guys' criticism of the Core i5, my gut instinct is that I should wait a while for some sales at NCIX (or maybe some 2nd hand sales) and if I can get the P45 mobo I want and a second 4890 for around $300 CAD, then I should go for it. If I can't, then I won't be buying anything. The Core i7 is just too expensive for me and I get this feeling that it wouldn't improve my performance at 5040x1050 at all. As the 57xx and 58xx series become more available, I think I should be able to snag a 4890 for like $100-$125, same goes for P45 mobo.

This is probably your best bet. Your current rig is already really nice. Just wait a bit and when the prices are right, snag that mobo you want and a second 4890. The two 4890s should offer an incredible performance boost over the single one, at that high of a resolution. At 1920 x 1200, however, you probably wont notice nearly as much a boost.