PDA

View Full Version : GeIL Golden Dragon Dual DDR 512MB(2x256MB) 400MHz Model GD3200, good or bad?

digitalwanderer
06-27-03, 10:45 AM
So I'm cruising NewEgg yesterday and their Barton 2500+ retail is on sale for $90 and they also have what I THINK is gonna be me new memory on sale the GeIL Golden Dragon Dual DDR 512MB(2x256MB) 400MHz Model GD3200 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=20-144-602) for $99.

Is this sounding like a decent upgrade for Bubbles? I'm not building a new rig like I originally planned, I'm just gonna upgrade Bubbles a bit. (New mobo, CPU, & memory...but the case & viddy card will be the same. :) )

Oh, the mobo is an MSI K7N2-L and it's bright red and I'm loving it. It came yesterday, I traded me GF4 for it. :D

I'm not even picking up a decent heatsink/cooler for the CPU yet, I'm going as cheap as humanly possible right now just so I can get away with getting it all...I figure I can add-on down the road. I won't really need to be overclocking it right off the bat anyways. ;)

Any advice is appreciated. I like the idea of going thru NewEgg with the memory just in case there IS a problem/it don't work well because I know I can just exchange it with them without hassles. (Not to mention they have the best service/price/etc. ;) )

Sazar
06-27-03, 10:50 AM
geil makes pretty decent clips :)

make sure the product does not have a disclaimer like "no refund/exchange for same item only" stuff.... :)

but yah... both board and memory look fine :)

dl255
06-28-03, 11:27 PM
This ram sucks trust me.
I got a dual pc3500 kit of golden dragon and tried it on my a7n8x and it wouldn't even boot. So I tried it on an a7m266-d still wouldn't boot trust me the price maybe good and the specs may seem good but it wouldn't even work with an nforce 2 board. On my current rig I'm using
hyperx pc 3500 and I couldn't be happier.
The nforce rig uses corsair and that seems to work well. Get either hyperx or corsair xms and you'll be happy.

b00bie
06-29-03, 12:32 AM
I am not too sure about this memory. From what I hear some people have trouble running it in dual channel mode. It seems like a cheap alternative to me. If I were you I would put in that couple more bucks and get something more decent that I wouldn't have to worry about. ;)