PDA

View Full Version : Monitors

Pages : [1] 2

b00bie
06-27-03, 11:59 AM
What is your current monitor size?

Mine is currently 17", but I am looking to upgrade to 19" in the near future :)

saturnotaku
06-27-03, 01:04 PM
Depends on what you want. If you're looking for CRT, you should get the largest one you can afford. Cornerstone (available from http://www.monitorsdirect.com) are good monitors for the money.

If you're looking at LCD, I just ordered a Hitachi 17" - 1280x1024 native resolution, DVI inpu and 16 ms response time which will make it good for gaming and everything else.

b00bie
06-27-03, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Depends on what you want. If you're looking for CRT, you should get the largest one you can afford. Cornerstone (available from http://www.monitorsdirect.com) are good monitors for the money.

If you're looking at LCD, I just ordered a Hitachi 17" - 1280x1024 native resolution, DVI inpu and 16 ms response time which will make it good for gaming and everything else.

I am looking to buy a CRT since I'm on a budget. To be honest, I looked at their monitors b4, but they don't carry a big selection of 19" monitors. I was looking at the NEC monitor. Although I still have a little bit of time to do some more research. ;)

saturnotaku
06-27-03, 01:30 PM
34 19-inch monitors not enough for 'ya? :p

Just so you know, Mitsubishi monitors are made by NEC...or the other way around but either way the two compnaies are one in the same.

What's your budget?

ricercar
06-27-03, 01:33 PM
MY primary machine has three 15" (1024/768) LCDs, all Apple Studio Displays, 2x VGA and 1x DVI-I.

I haven't bought a CRT for five years, but my apartment dumpster keeps me well-supplied. Currently I have one dumpster CRT, a 15" Komodo brand, shared by three lesser systems on a KVM. The last one, a 17" Dell, expired a convenient week after the Komodo was found.

Oh, also a 7" NTSC SVideo CRT on my AV rack serves for my MP3 server display.

b00bie
06-27-03, 01:42 PM
34 19-inch monitors not enough for 'ya? :p

Just so you know, Mitsubishi monitors are made by NEC...or the other way around but either way the two compnaies are one in the same.

What's your budget?

As far as I can see, there is only one Cornerstone monitor out of the 34. I didn't mean that the site has a small selection. :p

I am planning on spending around $250 for the monitor. Preferably a black one, but it doesn't have to be...:)

And yes, I know NEC is with Mitsubishi. I always liked both companies though and I think NEC always made good monitors.

saturnotaku
06-27-03, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by b00bie
And yes, I know NEC is with Mitsubishi. I always liked both companies though and I think NEC always made good monitors.

Yeah, they last forever. My parents are still using an NEC MultiSync 3V from like back in 1995. And it doesn't show signs of dying any time soon. I still have a MultiSync 50 in my basement that as far as I know still works.

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind as to what you want. ;)

b00bie
06-27-03, 02:30 PM
Yeah, they last forever. My parents are still using an NEC MultiSync 3V from like back in 1995. And it doesn't show signs of dying any time soon. I still have a MultiSync 50 in my basement that as far as I know still works.

Thanks for the info though. I appreciate your suggestions. I am simply looking for a monitor with a good refresh rate that will last me a while :D

Bubba
06-27-03, 03:10 PM
I'm currently looking for a couple replacement CRTs right now. I keep hearing/reading good things about these 19 inchers-

- Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 454
- Samsung 900NF
- NEC MultiSync FP912SB

Not sure if they're outta your price range or not.

saturnotaku
06-27-03, 03:21 PM
From what I hear, Iiyama monitors are excellent but pricey. I think Samsung and Hitachi make the best CRTs for the money.

b00bie
06-27-03, 03:21 PM
Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 454

I know they make great monitors, but they tend to be a little expensive. I think this one is in the $300s range

Samsung 900NF

I have never trusted Samsung with my comp parts too much. I had a 17" monitor from them that broke down on me and I never had a good feeling towards their products...

NEC MultiSync FP912SB

This is probably something like what I am looking for. ;)

StealthHawk
06-27-03, 05:46 PM
This is a good read for anyone interested in a LCD monitor: http://www17.tomshardware.com/display/20030626/index.html

-=DVS=-
06-27-03, 07:34 PM

same have it pretty good :D , make sure to have V-Sync on ;)

saturnotaku
06-27-03, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
make sure to have V-Sync on ;)

Blrgh, ewwww, no! :p

This (http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2291818) the one you have?

Hehe ;) I'll make sure to fine-tune the display and my control panel accordingly. I can't wait to get it, but it won't be here until next Thursday.

stncttr908
06-27-03, 07:58 PM
<shotgun suicide>

15" Compaq Presario 1500 that can do 8x6 @ 75hz. :rolleyes:

</shotgun suicide>

Jovi
06-27-03, 09:11 PM
I got a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 22" Diamondtron Natural Flat Monitor 2 years back and have never looked back. Some of the best money i have ever spent.

Smokey
06-28-03, 01:05 PM
IF you are looking for a good cheap 19", be sure to check out the LG E900B, 1600*1200@75Hz, 1280*1024@85Hz, 100% flatscreen CRT. I chose one of these for 2 people on a budget and they are very happy with it, should be something around $200 I think :)

-=DVS=-
06-28-03, 03:53 PM
Blrgh, ewwww, no! :p

This (http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2291818) the one you have?

Hehe ;) I'll make sure to fine-tune the display and my control panel accordingly. I can't wait to get it, but it won't be here until next Thursday.

yep exacly same but i got it from newegg.com and on my Radeon9700Pro if you have V-Sync OFF i get bad tearring in 3d games like Raven Shield , so Vsync is needed on LCD, run realy nice constant 60Fps in game is awesome :D

but no driver came with this LCD , shouldn't there be a inf file or something its now on Plug n Play but id like better then that :confused: , it can do 1280*1024@85Hz , but plug n play makes it at 75Hz max , before windows reinstall i had 85Hz something got screwd up , bad detection :mad:

saturnotaku
06-28-03, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
but no driver came with this LCD , shouldn't there be a inf file or something its now on Plug n Play but id like better then that :confused: , it can do 1280*1024@85Hz , but plug n play makes it at 75Hz max , before windows reinstall i had 85Hz something got screwd up , bad detection :mad:

Hear me now and thank me later.

Hitachi driver download (http://www.hitachidisplays.com/downloads/mon_inf.zip)

SmuvMoney
06-28-03, 06:14 PM

My NEC Multisync FP912SB was a wonderful investment. I had a Samsung SyncMaster 950p before that, but the NEC one wins hands down.

vampireuk
06-28-03, 06:21 PM
From what I hear, Iiyama monitors are excellent but pricey.

Indeed, my Visionmaster pro 454 cost me a arm and a leg. But it was worth every penny :cool:

b00bie
06-28-03, 06:52 PM
does anyone know a good site that offers a good veriety of Iiyama monitors? I can't seem to find one and newegg doesn't carry them anymore. :confused:

Bubba
06-28-03, 06:58 PM
http://www.neutronusa.com/

Nutty
06-29-03, 12:05 PM
hmmmm, am I the only one with a sony monitor?

E400 19''. Bought it several years ago.. still fine. It seems all our Dell monitors at work are similar rebadged sony models also.

-=DVS=-
06-29-03, 12:12 PM
Hear me now and thank me later.

Hitachi driver download (http://www.hitachidisplays.com/downloads/mon_inf.zip)

Thank you Thank you Masta :jumping: