PDA

View Full Version : 8600m GT - component video through VGA out?

Fackamato
10-16-09, 08:22 AM
Hi,

I've a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a NVIDIA 8600M GT 256MB DDR2 graphics card.

I was wondering if it's possible to connect a VGA > component cable between the laptop and my 1080p LCD TV? Is there a way to change the output from VGA to component in the NVIDIA control panel (or xorg.conf in Linux)?

Fackamato
11-01-09, 02:35 PM
bump!

No one?

Buenamos
11-01-09, 03:17 PM
I'm assuming you would need this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2170&seq=1&format=2

Fackamato
11-01-09, 03:36 PM
Well yes that's my point, but it's not going to work unless I can make the VGA port output component signals... which is my question, basically. :)

From some searching it seems ATI cards can switch between VGA/component, but NVIDIA cards can't, so I'd need a converter. Too bad :headexplode:

CaptNKILL
11-01-09, 06:26 PM
Yeah, you need a converter box. Hardly any video cards can do that.

Bman212121
11-01-09, 07:12 PM
Well yes that's my point, but it's not going to work unless I can make the VGA port output component signals... which is my question, basically. :)

From some searching it seems ATI cards can switch between VGA/component, but NVIDIA cards can't, so I'd need a converter. Too bad :headexplode:

VGA is just RGB in a different configuration. If you use one of those cables you can output component to any device you'd like from a VGA port. I've done it in the past both ways IIRC. (Component to VGA and VGA to Component)

I'm guessing the devices I've used might support that setup though, but I can't recall a time where it didn't work before.

CaptNKILL
11-01-09, 09:50 PM
VGA is just RGB in a different configuration. If you use one of those cables you can output component to any device you'd like from a VGA port. I've done it in the past both ways IIRC. (Component to VGA and VGA to Component)

I'm guessing the devices I've used might support that setup though, but I can't recall a time where it didn't work before.

I think it depends what synchronizing method the video card supports:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video#RGB_analog_component_video

sharangad
11-08-09, 02:31 PM
Hi,

I've a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a NVIDIA 8600M GT 256MB DDR2 graphics card.

I was wondering if it's possible to connect a VGA > component cable between the laptop and my 1080p LCD TV? Is there a way to change the output from VGA to component in the NVIDIA control panel (or xorg.conf in Linux)?

VGA to component cables won't work on an nvidia card. They're actually for certain projector type devices which output YCbCr over a VGA connection. THe cable merely connects the pins on the component VGA output into component outputs.

That cable won't work with any PC VGA cards.

Back in the Radeon 8500 days (2001, DX 7/8) this card had a special VGA output (along with a special Ati adapter) could output component over the VGA port. However as far as I'm aware this was the only card to ever do that.