Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

rudedog
10-17-09, 11:06 AM
We have 402 on bashandslash podcast

no dedicated servers
using new IW new along with steam
only private servers
no info on mod tools
trying to change the way PC players play the game online.

more like XBL

ATi
10-17-09, 11:14 AM
We have 402 on bashandslash podcast

no dedicated servers
only private servers
no info on mod tools
trying to change the way PC players play the game online.

more like XBLso its only 16 players know?!good to know im not buying;)

RaidenWoW
10-17-09, 11:23 AM
That's terrible. I know they're trying to crack down on piracy but they're going to ruin the whole game experience for all of us.

People take pride in hosting their own servers. Let them have more control of the game they bought. I bought Cod2, Cod3, Cod4, and Cod5.

Logical
10-17-09, 11:25 AM
I was on the bash and slash irc channel and its all true...

Just cancelled my pre-order...as i predicted this is the biggest fail in competitive gaming since MoH:Airborne.

ATi
10-17-09, 11:27 AM
I still may buy it if its has 16+players in a game

NarcissistZero
10-17-09, 11:30 AM

What does this mean? It's a Steamworks game?

ATi
10-17-09, 11:37 AM
so dedicated servers at all?is it gonna be like left 4 dead where it finds one for the lobby..that will be cool.**** I hope it has more than 16 players !!!!!!!!!!!! Treyarch>>>IW

Mr. Hunt
10-17-09, 12:38 PM
Terrible news. Now I am wishing it was just delayed instead of this BS.

rudedog
10-17-09, 01:46 PM
We have the cast up in reruns located at
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799

I meant IW-net which will run side by side with Steam, where steam will provide the AC IW-net will provide the matchmaking.

402's words more like making the PC experience more like XBL. ..... yeah... NOT.

Crow_Nest
10-17-09, 01:47 PM
What the hell does that do to improve our experience?! :thumbdwn:

And im disappointed because this time i am actually going to play the multiplayer and make MW2 my new online multiplayer game apart from L4D2. :headexplode: I'll still buy this game, no doubt. I will play the campaign even if the multiplayer sucked.

EDIT: Does this mean when we install the game we are forced to do it through steam? Like in FEAR 2?

NarcissistZero
10-17-09, 02:30 PM
I meant IW-net which will run side by side with Steam, where steam will provide the AC IW-net will provide the matchmaking.

Your clarification doesn't clarify anything for me. What is "AC"? Does the game tie to Steam even if bought at retail? Is it Steamworks? That is what I am asking.

Crow_Nest
10-17-09, 02:38 PM
Show your love for dedicated servers + mod support.

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=121918

fizzelopeguss
10-17-09, 03:12 PM
That's terrible. I know they're trying to crack down on piracy but they're going to ruin the whole game experience for all of us.

People take pride in hosting their own servers. Let them have more control of the game they bought. I bought Cod2, Cod3, Cod4, and Cod5.

**** all to do with piracy, this is their way of forcing you to buy DLC, why would PC users buy ****ty DLC when we have mods?

'custom content to keep the game for us alive alot longer'

rudedog
10-17-09, 03:32 PM
Your clarification doesn't clarify anything for me. What is "AC"? Does the game tie to Steam even if bought at retail? Is it Steamworks? That is what I am asking.

Sorry Narc. AC means anti cheat. From what we where told MW2 will use steam for some features (which will be announced later by valve) including Anti Cheat and matchmaking (think in game browser like XBL) via their new IW-Net backend.

No in game browser like you know now, no dedicated servers setup in data centers. you will host the game yourself just like the console guys do if you run a private game/match. Thus the number of players and your pings are effected by the admins home computer/connections.

If you run a public game that will be hosted by IW-net servers (not sure how the hell that will work)

if you play SP nothing has changed
if you play MP, think of it as playing on XBL with a PC

hope that helps.

NarcissistZero
10-17-09, 03:48 PM
I listened to the podcast... seems it will be a Steam game and activate on Steam no matter where you buy it. Quite a coo for Valve, really.

I am fine with that.

As a singleplayer only person, the no dedicated servers and matchmaking thing doesn't effect me, but it does sadden me to see PC gaming getting more and more console-like even on a game from a traditionally PC-focused developer.

None of this is surprising, gaming is mainstream now, 15 million people playing a big game... this is what happens when a niche product goes mainstream. It just sucks for people who are hardcore and niche-oriented about it.

Luckily on PC we have a massive indie and small budget community of developers who will cater to that niche...

rudedog
10-17-09, 03:54 PM
As a singleplayer only person, the no dedicated servers and matchmaking thing doesn't effect me, but it does sadden me to see PC gaming getting more and more console-like even on a game from a traditionally PC-focused developer.

I have a feeling IW will use this as a stepping stone to announce MW3 is console only.....

NarcissistZero
10-17-09, 03:58 PM
I have a feeling IW will use this as a stepping stone to announce MW3 is console only.....

I think these companies want desperately to either kill the PC platform or make it a lot more like the console platforms. It makes them more money (DLC, etc.), it is easier to develop for, it makes the game easier to play which means more customers.

At some point every system able to play AAA games will be closed, I have no doubt. The PC gaming scene as we know it will eventually not exist. Is that pessimistic? Maybe, but I see it as a common sense eventual solution.

Will MW3 be on PC? Probably, but as we go forward the difference between MW3 on PC and MW3 will be almost unable to be seen.

fizzelopeguss
10-17-09, 05:13 PM
I just cannot believe where gaming is going....this is god damn atrocious.

Higher player counts.
Less lag.
A 24/7 server.
Mods/maps/custom game modes to keep a game fresh.
A community of regulars.
Banning of asshats.

This is what dedicated servers allows, developers are actively taking this away not to make the experience better for their customers...but purely to **** them over.

I hope this game bombs on the PC, i'd rather have no COD on computer than let this customer rape mindset further infest and gain traction on our side of the hobby.

bob saget
10-17-09, 05:16 PM
I probably will get this when its about 30 bucks. Still playing cod4 MP....

Bman212121
10-17-09, 05:51 PM
Sorry Narc. AC means anti cheat. From what we where told MW2 will use steam for some features (which will be announced later by valve) including Anti Cheat and matchmaking (think in game browser like XBL) via their new IW-Net backend.

No in game browser like you know now, no dedicated servers setup in data centers. you will host the game yourself just like the console guys do if you run a private game/match. Thus the number of players and your pings are effected by the admins home computer/connections.

If you run a public game that will be hosted by IW-net servers (not sure how the hell that will work)

if you play SP nothing has changed
if you play MP, think of it as playing on XBL with a PC

hope that helps.

Wow, that's pretty horrible news. Basically a good way to put what you wrote is that it's a listening server. Most games give you the option currently to do that type of setup. If I can't run a dedicated server though, it's not going anywhere near my pc. Whoever hosts for even 16 players will need to keep their settings on low otherwise everyone is going to lag out when they get into smoke.

NarcissistZero
10-17-09, 05:54 PM
Listening to the podcast though, IW will host all public matches on standard maps and settings? In other words, all ranked games will be hosted?

That sounds good. Or am I hearing that wrong?

Mr. Hunt
10-17-09, 06:08 PM
My guess is this is going to be like BF2 or whatever... basically you have to pay them to host dedicated games that don't suck. Just my guess.

K007
10-17-09, 06:10 PM
forget this. i just cancelled my pre order. Going to wait and see how this plays out. I am in no way a fan of how MW1 plays on the console.(As in how it searches for online games)

K007
10-17-09, 06:18 PM
We're doing a lot on the backend to make the game accessible for everyone.
There is no delay for the PC version of MW2
There's prestige mode
Jason West at the MP event, said that he was dead on, on the matchmaking servers. We've been building a system on the backend called IW.NET.
You are completely reliant on IW.NET. There are no server lists. There are no dedicated servers.
You have private matches where you can customize the game
You cannot put MW2 on a dedicated server.
This is the first time we've ever done something like this and the team has huge plans for what IW.NET develops into.
Customizing your game...you have quite a few options in a private match
You're getting same game (as in Console), plus matchmaking and private match.
Server admin point-of view, NO DEDICATED SERVERS

I've summarized some of my own thoughts from the cast here:

General

* IW partnering through Steam is what you will see in the future. Matchmaking is not through Steam, but IW.NET is run in conjunction with Steam.
* GSP's will no longer be renting out servers.
* No PunkBuster. VAC will be used as an anti cheat.
* Retail distribution: Pre-orders will get a disk. Or you could order from Steam.
* DLC may now need to be paid for - not confirmed.
* Piracy was only a small reason for going to IW.NET - not the whole reason.

Clans:

* No more clan servers. Private matches, replace clan servers.
* Listen servers will connect to each other.
* IW.NET/Steam will replace the community server admin

Competitive Gaming

* Competitive gaming has changed forever.
* It might be possible in the future for IW engineers to load a "competitive" setting on IW.NET, but it is far from a guarantee. It might also never happen.

Modding

* Modding the game is now very much in question. Fourzerotwo had no info on modding. However, it appears that there will be no mods or maps for MW2.
* Modding in SpecOps? Unknown.

Today our game has changed for ever.

Logical
10-17-09, 06:22 PM
I'm guessing it won't be too long before IW announce they are to be a console only developer, unless Activision have anything to say about it.

Ironic really because IW would not be where they are now if it weren't for the PC platform....