PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto : Africa

Pages : [1] 2

snowmanwithahat
10-17-09, 02:17 PM
So how many of you actually played through and beat Far Cry 2?

I just kinda tried getting back into it... to give it a fair chance. I'm really having a hard time sticking with it though because of my expectation for it to be like Far Cry 1.... and I just completed Crysis for the 2nd time which really to me was the sequel to Far Cry 1.

I'm really trying, but does the game ever get more interesting? I'm at like 16% completed... it takes forever to do missions because of the massive amounts of driving, and the fact that everytime I drive anyway i'm constantly being shot at ... I get out, kill them all, move on, do the mission, drive back the same way... and they're all there again shooting at me again. It's downright irritating.

Anyway... was it good? Really curious if I should stick it out if it gets better

NarcissistZero
10-17-09, 02:24 PM
There's a 50 page thread on the game you could look at.

Just saying.

methimpikehoses
10-17-09, 02:58 PM
Good point though, it basically is GTA Africa, except not as good as GTA.

snowmanwithahat
10-17-09, 03:05 PM
yeh...

found it...

pretty much the same **** that I had to say then, the game sucks and pretty much feels like a broken version of crysis with goofy vehicle elements

Sazar
10-17-09, 03:30 PM
Meh, I liked it :)

It sucked initially but I gave it a shot, played more and the entire world sort of just grew on me :)

It is definitely not worthy of the Far Cry name, it should have been called something else, but it was a good game.

mailman2
10-17-09, 03:34 PM
So how many of you actually played through and beat Far Cry 2?

I just kinda tried getting back into it... to give it a fair chance. I'm really having a hard time sticking with it though because of my expectation for it to be like Far Cry 1.... and I just completed Crysis for the 2nd time which really to me was the sequel to Far Cry 1.

I'm really trying, but does the game ever get more interesting? I'm at like 16% completed... it takes forever to do missions because of the massive amounts of driving, and the fact that everytime I drive anyway i'm constantly being shot at ... I get out, kill them all, move on, do the mission, drive back the same way... and they're all there again shooting at me again. It's downright irritating.

Anyway... was it good? Really curious if I should stick it out if it gets better

I did and I loved it. But it took awhile to really get into the game and enjoy it. Using the buses were great once I figured out where to get and how to use them. The "reloaded" checkpoints were the only thing that really bothered me about the game. You could drive back through 2 mins later and there were guys there again. At first I wasn't digging this one, but after some time it really grew on me and I loved it. I think FC2 needs some time to get into it.

Did you learn to use the buses to get from one side of the map to the other? That really helped me complete missions.

wysiwyg
10-17-09, 03:40 PM
nothing as good as GTA

snowmanwithahat
10-17-09, 03:49 PM
I think I realized why I don't like it after reading more into reviews / forums.

I expected too much...

FAR CRY2 ..... I blindly assumed it would be similar to Far Cry... Not the case.
It implements a mission-based story like GTA.... but doesn't really deliver the way GTA did for some reason (I really can't figure out why)
Bugs... the AI is dumb... I've died 10 times to them just launching cars at me at literally 100 miles an hour and running me over. For some reason my cars can never go as fast as theirs
Repairing vehicles... wouldn't it be nice if we could all fix everything with 1 socket wrench?
Respawning checkpoints... I realize they're necessary, but holy crap, can't I just clear one out and then not have to do it again on my way back through? maybe a day or 2 to respawn but if you're going by in-game time... it's literally a half hour between when I first go through and go through again... it's completely repopulated. Clearing 3-4 on the way to / from missions is a downright pain... I tried just driving through and they just shoot my car and somehow catch up to me in seconds (super fast npc cars)... then I have to get out and kill them all anyway so I can repair my car...
Malaria ... holy crap what a chore that is...
Jamming weapons... I dropped my sniper for a shotgun at one point in the game... and it must have rusted as soon as it hit the ground... I cleared the 5-8 people that were left at that checkpoint, then re-picked up my sniper... it was already "rusted" and dirty... jamming all the time now. IT WAS THERE FOR 15 MINUTES (in-game)

I guess I just expected the wrong things... If it had any other name than Far Cry I'd probably be ALOT less harsh on it... then again I wouldn't have bought it either. I seriously made a huge mistake and purchased it from steam because of its name... solely because of its name...

bob saget
10-17-09, 04:46 PM
I really did not like Far Cry 2. Driving/missions got very boring and repetitive. Characters were not very "unique". Obviously the game gives you something to do, goals, etc, and it looks alright, but I could never kind of get into the story and "care" about what is going on. The last 20somwhat minutes of the game were decent, simply because you were doing pretty much no driving and just big fights.

mojoman0
10-17-09, 04:58 PM
I got kind of addicted to this game actually. Yea its repetetive but there were so many different weapons to mess around with and the environments were really emersive I just enjoyed it all. Beat the game in like 10 days and was satisfied. Runs great too for how good it looks.

NarcissistZero
10-17-09, 05:50 PM
I loved the game in sections and hated it in others... sneaking up on an enemy camp and sniping them, then running in to mop up, was all great stuff. It was the traveling that sucked... taking away enemy respawns would have made the game about a billion times better.

I wish it was moddable... someone would have fixed it in a few weeks time.

Eliminator
10-17-09, 08:07 PM
I think I realized why I don't like it after reading more into reviews / forums.

I expected too much...

FAR CRY2 ..... I blindly assumed it would be similar to Far Cry... Not the case.
It implements a mission-based story like GTA.... but doesn't really deliver the way GTA did for some reason (I really can't figure out why)
Bugs... the AI is dumb... I've died 10 times to them just launching cars at me at literally 100 miles an hour and running me over. For some reason my cars can never go as fast as theirs
Repairing vehicles... wouldn't it be nice if we could all fix everything with 1 socket wrench?
Respawning checkpoints... I realize they're necessary, but holy crap, can't I just clear one out and then not have to do it again on my way back through? maybe a day or 2 to respawn but if you're going by in-game time... it's literally a half hour between when I first go through and go through again... it's completely repopulated. Clearing 3-4 on the way to / from missions is a downright pain... I tried just driving through and they just shoot my car and somehow catch up to me in seconds (super fast npc cars)... then I have to get out and kill them all anyway so I can repair my car...
Malaria ... holy crap what a chore that is...
Jamming weapons... I dropped my sniper for a shotgun at one point in the game... and it must have rusted as soon as it hit the ground... I cleared the 5-8 people that were left at that checkpoint, then re-picked up my sniper... it was already "rusted" and dirty... jamming all the time now. IT WAS THERE FOR 15 MINUTES (in-game)

I guess I just expected the wrong things... If it had any other name than Far Cry I'd probably be ALOT less harsh on it... then again I wouldn't have bought it either. I seriously made a huge mistake and purchased it from steam because of its name... solely because of its name...
:lol2: so true... i actually beat the entire game... its the same game from the first 10 minutes of game play until the last 10 minutes

jAkUp
10-17-09, 08:20 PM
I thought it was pretty good, and yes I beat it :)

Sazar
10-17-09, 08:21 PM
The driving was actually a chore to start with but... just like in TDU, sometimes I would just jump in a car and drive around for the hell of it. No objectives, except collecting the diamonds :)

Hell, I did the same with the boat as well. If I got in trouble, just get away from the enemy :D

crainger
10-18-09, 02:01 PM
I beat it. Was a chore towards then end, but the game had it moments, cruising a river at sunset, quietly taking out a enemy camp, setting a IED for an unaware car on it's way. The respawns were silly, in the end I'd just drive flat out through a check point then repair my car a few mile up the road.

TheANIMAL
10-18-09, 03:25 PM
Serves you right for expecting a game with a popular name to be the NEXT BEST THING. Go and play some indie games or lovingly created mods for older games to remind yourselves of what good gaming is supposed to be like.

snowmanwithahat
10-18-09, 03:31 PM
Serves you right for expecting a game with a popular name to be the NEXT BEST THING. Go and play some indie games or lovingly created mods for older games to remind yourselves of what good gaming is supposed to be like.

LOL you really missed the point

I didn't expect it to be the next big thing...

I expected it to be EXTREMELY similar to the game it shares the name with... I would have been way more than happy for Far Cry 1 re-done in the new engine and called Far Cry 2... that would have been better, or atleast more in line with my expectations...

Reminds me alot of the recent Wolfenstein release... no one wants the next big thing, they just want more of the action we loved of the originals that really made them what they are...

TheANIMAL
10-18-09, 08:29 PM
My comment was more general and to the air... to float though the air... like a bubble...ahhh

*back to reality*

Anywho, i still think you only have yourself to blame, all of the original previews and reviews explained pretty clearly what it was all about.

WeReWoLf
10-18-09, 09:53 PM
I quite liked Far Cry 2, and yes I finished it. At which point I was immensly disappointed and vowed never to finish it again.

nekrosoft13
10-18-09, 10:22 PM
far cry 2 was a complete disaster

bob saget
10-18-09, 10:40 PM
I quite liked Far Cry 2, and yes I finished it. At which point I was immensly disappointed and vowed never to finish it again.

that makes no sense.
So you quite liked playing it, but as soon as it was over, you hated it? lol

bob saget
10-18-09, 10:44 PM
far cry 2 was a complete disaster

+1

MowTin
10-19-09, 02:10 AM
I loved Far Cry 2. I think it's one of those underrated games.

It's a sandbox game. It's only fun if you enjoy finding creative ways to kill...like surrounding an outpost with fire and watching everyone burn.

Also going stealth and picking off people one by one is a lot of fun.

Setting up IED's to take out an entire convoy is awesome.

The respawning checkpoints was a problem until I learned to take the bus.

If you play it just trying to beat it like a regular game then it will suck. If you take you time with it and get creative with all your deadly toys you'll love it.

bob saget
10-19-09, 02:30 AM
I loved Far Cry 2. I think it's one of those underrated games.

It's a sandbox game. It's only fun if you enjoy finding creative ways to kill...like surrounding an outpost with fire and watching everyone burn.

Also going stealth and picking off people one by one is a lot of fun.

Setting up IED's to take out an entire convoy is awesome.

The respawning checkpoints was a problem until I learned to take the bus.

If you play it just trying to beat it like a regular game then it will suck. If you take you time with it and get creative with all your deadly toys you'll love it.

That still kindda sucks if you have to play it a certain way to enjoy it. When I play games, I dont like to think "Oh I have to do this, this way" or "I shouldnt do this, cause that will suck and be no fun". When you play GTA or crysis (I guess they are sorta sandbox games), they are fun no matter what the hell you are doing.
If a game is fun only if played with a certain style that is pretty terrible.
Personally, I played, I experienced with weapons, all the flash wears off after the first several hours.
Usually, after the flash wears off, most games grab you with the story. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Sazar
10-19-09, 02:38 AM
YMMV